RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got into Radiohead with Kid A, so I wasn't really shocked by it. I remember the first time I heard OK Computer, I was completely stunned; I wasn't sure what to make of it. Now it's my second favorite Radiohead album (Kid A is my favorite.)

I don't think they've really released a bad album yet. Pablo Honey is really underrated, IMO. Yeah, it's not The Bends or OK Computer, but it's a solid rock album.

The title track is one of the worst things I've ever heard

Humorously, that's probably my most listened to song form the album over the last 2 or 3 years. I love it, but a lot of that probably has to do with how much more accessible the live version is because you can actually understand Thom..

Hunting Bears has become one of my most listened to tracks from Amnesiac as well.

I think they're songs that were easy to dismiss early on when all I wanted was straight forward Radiohead pop songs. They're both quite good for what they are though. :up:

I love it, but a lot of that probably has to do with how much more accessible the live version is because you can actually understand Thom..

I love it, too. I think I've said this before but I fell in love with Kid A traveling a lot that year. I love listening to the title song while roaming through airports because not understanding Thom reflects watching mouths move but not having to overhear people's stupid conversations, especially the ones happening on cell phones.

Hmmm... heard Hail to the Thief (again, an album that I've heard before, but I don't think that many times. Maybe one or two times.)
Weak, weak album when compared to the others I've heard. Maybe too much songs? Maybe it's a grower? I don't know. But at this listen it seemed weak. I believe the songs are too similar, but I don't know. It's still a good album though. I'm saying weak when compared to Bends, OK, and Kid... albums that I've enjoyed a LOT. "2+2=5.(The Lukewarm.)" and "A Wolf at the Door. (It Girl. Rag Doll.)", which are respectively, opener and closer, happen to be the strongest tracks.
Like I said, maybe it's a grower... I'll give it another listens with time and see what happens.

But I'm still loving Radiohead and from now on I'm not familiar with any other album except In Rainbows... so I want another suggestion. Which one now? Amnesiac? Pablo Honey? Any great EP? :wave:

Aren't they still touring South America?

You're right. But I grabbed this quote from wikipedia (I know wikipedia isn't always reliable, so take it with a grain of salt):

Radiohead toured North America, Europe and Japan in 2008 to promote In Rainbows.[48] They also discussed recording new songs once the tour was finished.[65] In March 2009, Radiohead will play concerts in Mexico, Chile, Argentina and Brazil with Kraftwerk,[66][67] the band's first ever tour of South America and their first dates in Mexico in 15 years

Radiohead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmmm... heard Hail to the Thief (again, an album that I've heard before, but I don't think that many times. Maybe one or two times.)
Weak, weak album when compared to the others I've heard. Maybe too much songs? Maybe it's a grower? I don't know. But at this listen it seemed weak. I believe the songs are too similar, but I don't know. It's still a good album though. I'm saying weak when compared to Bends, OK, and Kid... albums that I've enjoyed a LOT. "2+2=5.(The Lukewarm.)" and "A Wolf at the Door. (It Girl. Rag Doll.)", which are respectively, opener and closer, happen to be the strongest tracks.
Like I said, maybe it's a grower... I'll give it another listens with time and see what happens.

But I'm still loving Radiohead and from now on I'm not familiar with any other album except In Rainbows... so I want another suggestion. Which one now? Amnesiac? Pablo Honey? Any great EP? :wave:

My three favorites from that album are There There, A Punchup at a Wedding, and A Wolf at the Door.

A Punchup at a Wedding

hammerheadshark.jpg

I'll preface all this by saying that I hated both OKC and Kid A on first listen.

The title track is one of the worst things I've ever heard, as well as the horn part of The National Anthem. Just awful.

I thought the title track was one of the worst songs I'd ever heard, now I actually reflect popmofo's thoughts on it... it's quite 'soothing', for lack of a better word. Yeah you can't understand Thom (I thought it was an instrumental) but it's beguilingly pretty with it's little computerised noises and when it breaks down halfway through it's great.

TNA on the other hand, I think is about two minutes too long. It could do without the overlong intro and better, synth-less vocals, but the apocalyptic horns are the best part.

Again, I'm still amazed by this sudden love I'm developing for Radiohead. But it's good. I hope this is not just a moment, cause I'm really enjoying their music.

So was I, the same thing happened to me. Didn't like them at all, ran out of stuff to listen to, chucked in OKC one last time, liked it, and haven't been able to stop listening since. No other band has kept me going for so long since I got into U2.

On to OKC
1. Let Down
2. Subterranean Homesick Alien
3. Airbag
4. No Surprises
5. Karma Police
6. Paranoid Android
7. Climbing up the Walls
8. Lucky
9. The Tourist
10. Electioneering
11. Exit Music

* also going with Fitter Happier not counting. Subterranean is superb, the music matches the concept perfectly and I like the lyrics and where it came from. My favourite always changes though, to say it's Let Down is a bit of a cop out. No Suprises is fantastic with it's tinkle-box tune, Karma Police has grown on me heaps and the final minute and half is one of the best parts on the album. Exit Music bores me to tears.

Kid A, for shits and giggles. I love doing this :wink:
1. Motion Picture Soundtrack
2. Idioteque
3. Optimistic
4. How to Disappear Completely
5. Everything in it's Right Place
6. Kid A
7. In Limbo
8. Morning Bell
9. The National Anthem
10. Treefingers

* Genchildren too short. And yes, I'm completely serious with MPS as my number #1.

I think they've gone back into the studio to record. Don't quote me on that, though.

I think we'll see a new Radiohead album either late this year or early 2010.
late this year is too soon, especially if it's RH! i'm not even sure if we can expect it in spring 2010. perhaps autumn 2010?

Just to pass time while I'm waiting for night to listen to Amnesiac (I prefer to listen their albums at night.) here's my list of the tracks I like more for each album that I've heard in the last four days:

The Bends:

#1 Fake Plastic Trees
#2 Planet Telex
#3 The Bends
#4 High and Dry
#5 Black Star
#6 (Nice Dream)
#7 Just
#8 Bones
#9 Street Spirit (Fade Out)
#10 Sulk
#11 Bullet Proof..I Wish I Was
#12 My Iron Lung

OK Computer: (this one is so hard to choose, there's no song I find weak.)

#1 Paranoid Android
#2 Subterranean Homesick Alien
#3 Karma Police
#4 Lucky
#5 No Surprises
#6 The Tourist
#7 Airbag
#8 Exit Music (For a Film)
#9 Let Down
#10 Electioneering
#11 Fitter Happier
#12 Climbing Up the Walls

Kid A:

#1 Morning Bell
#2 How to Disappear Completely
#3 Optimistic
#4 The National Anthem
#5 Idioteque
#6 Everything In Its Right Place
#7 Treefingers
#8 Motion Picture Soundtrack
#9 Kid A
#10 In Limbo

Hail to the Thief: (the "least good" of those four)

#1 2+2=5. (The Lukewarm.)
#2 A Wolf at the Door. (It Girl. Rag Doll.)
#3 Sit down. Stand up. (Snakes & Ladders.)
#4 A Punch Up At a Wedding. (No No No No No No No No.)
#5 Go to Sleep. (Little Man Being Erased.)
#6 Backdrifts. (Honeymoon Is Over.)
#7 I Will. (No Man's Land)
#8 Sail to the Moon. (Brush the Cobwebs Out of the Sky.)
#9 The Gloaming. (Softly Open Our Mouths In the Cold.)
#10 Scatterbrain. (As Dead as Leaves.)
#11 Myxomatosis. (Judge, Jury & Executioner.)
#12 We Suck Young Blood. (Your Time Is Up.)
#13 Where I End and You Begin. (The Sky Is Falling In.)
#14 There There. (The Boney King of Nowhere.)

And Climbing Up the Walls as the worst OKC song. Hell no. That ending is out of this world. Easily my favorite Radiohead song.

Back
Top Bottom