RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That I don't disagree with, and I also tend to enjoy Everything in Its Right Place live (I generally like Yorke's vocals, but six dubs of him simply wailing over himself played all at once isn't a great listening experience during the studio version).

I'm an electronica/techno junkie, so I'm all about EIIRP! :drool: :dance:

You may be on the same path then, good sir.

"Treefingers" is a great atmospheric track... reading about how it was produced added to my appreciation as well.

OK Computer is my favorite overall Radiohead album. Hell, I even like "Fitter Happier."

Treefingers is fine with me, I just find it hard to credit as an individual track. What was it that you read that was of interest?

Fitter Happier is another one that only really works in context. But in context, it's awesome. Those lyrics are a brilliant stroke of evil. No Surprises and The Tourist are kind of bland to me, which puts OK Computer just behind In Rainbows.

Treefingers is fine with me, I just find it hard to credit as an individual track. What was it that you read that was of interest?

Fitter Happier is another one that only really works in context. But in context, it's awesome. Those lyrics are a brilliant stroke of evil. No Surprises and The Tourist are kind of bland to me, which puts OK Computer just behind In Rainbows.

It's all a 10-minute guitar solo that was manipulated digitally, but sounds like Enotastic synth.

It's the juxtaposition of the music, biting lyrics, and emotionless delivery that do it for me.

"No Surprises" is a nice enough tune, but doesn't do too much for me either. "The Tourist," on the other hand, is fantastic.

It's all a 10-minute guitar solo that was manipulated digitally, but sounds like Enotastic synth.

It's the juxtaposition of the music, biting lyrics, and emotionless delivery that do it for me.

"No Surprises" is a nice enough tune, but doesn't do too much for me either. "The Tourist," on the other hand, is fantastic.

Interesting. I'll have to look out for that sound in the next listen.

Indeed.

I'm just starting to get into The Tourist, so don't write me off just yet. I think I'll always hold In Rainbows higher and as slightly more consistent, though.

Strange, I seem to like Kid A less than most people around here, but I love the studio versions of Everything in Its Right Place and the title track, and The National Anthem.

Also, not a fan of Electioneering here, either. I think I like everything on In Rainbows better than that song and Climbing Up the Walls.

1. Paranoid Android
2. Climbing Up the Walls
3. Lucky
4. Airbag
5. Let Down
6. Exit Music
7. Karma Police
8. Electioneering
9. Subterranean Homesick Alien
10. The Tourist
11. Fitter Happier
12. No Surprises

I think.

1. Lucky
2. Let Down
3. Airbag
4. Subterranean Homesick Alien
5. Karma Police
6. Exit Music
7. No Surprises
8. The Tourist
9. Paranoid Android
10. Electioneering
11. Climbing Up the Walls

* Fitter Happier -- this isn't a fucking song.

"Planet Telex" might be my favorite track on The Bends. That song just kills it. Every fucking time.

"Planet Telex" might be my favorite track on The Bends. That song just kills it. Every fucking time.

I can't tell you how ecstatic when this was played at one of the shows I went to last year. And it was played a lot better than The Bends was at the other show.

It's in my 'Head top five.

:love:

We're standing on the edge, Martha!

I can't tell you how ecstatic when this was played at one of the shows I went to last year. And it was played a lot better than The Bends was at the other show.

Which gig were you at? They played Telex at the Bristow, VA show.

I actually think the vocals to Climbing Up the Walls could have been done better, but I understand what he was going for. And the instrumentation is fantastic.

Strange, I seem to like Kid A less than most people around here, but I love the studio versions of Everything in Its Right Place and the title track, and The National Anthem.

I do as well, but prefer the live versions... especially the former.

For the record:

1. Paranoid Android
2. Airbag
3. Let Down
4. Exit Music (For a Film)
5. Climbing Up the Walls
6. Lucky
7. Subterranean Homesick Alien
8. Karma Police
9. No Surprises
10. Electioneering
11. The Tourist
12. Fitter Happier

I remember how terrible I thought Kid A was the first time I heard it. Optimistic was the only song I remotely liked the first time through.

I hadn't listened to Amnesiac in eons.
I broke that and the Airbag EP out after reading the Survivor thread.
I have been neglecting Radiohead (outside of In Rainbows) for far too long.

Amnesiac...it's not all a winner but it's still an interesting ride.
Airbag EP, I love Meeting in the Aisle. Always have. Melatonin is still sweet.
I still think Sardines is underrated. I'm a reasonable man, get off my case, bitches.

Well, I've heard Fitz suggestion and The Bends was my choice.
Again, it's an album I've heard many other times, but unlike Kid A and OK Computer, I hated this album from the very first time I've heard it.
Today, and again to my amazement, I enjoyed it A LOT. Even more than Kid A (but Kid A still has the best song, with National Anthem and Optimistic). The cool thing is that I can see no "previews" in this album of what would come in OK (except for My Iron Lung, which in turn, happens to be the weakest track on the album.) It's like they decided to complete change their approach from one album to the other (reminds you of someone, doesn't it? :wink:)
The Bends, imo, is HEAVILY infuenced by R.E.M., which is a great thing. And as it turns out, R.E.M. was influenced by Radiohead in New Adventures In Hi-Fi and Up. The album has some great tracks and what is, imo, the most radio-friendly song in Radiohead's catalogue after Creep: Black Star. Again, none of this is bad. Actually, is great. Especially the R.E.M. influenced sound. (R.E.M. is my second favorite band.)
Like I said, the only weak song is My Iron Lung, which starts very well, and reminded me of OK, but has a weak chorus. Sulk, despite being a average-good song, seems like a filler, but that's it. The rest is great.

Again, I'm still amazed by this sudden love I'm developing for Radiohead. But it's good. I hope this is not just a moment, cause I'm really enjoying their music.

And again, I ask for suggestions for the next album I should try today... I feel that Hail to the Thief would be a good choice. What do you guys and gals think? :wave:

Hail to the Thief wouldn't be bad idea. You'll enjoy at least some of it, if not a lot of it.

Back
Top Bottom