RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
erm no i dont think so

Whatever their circumstances are i am not there to help

I am NOT the good samaritan

People have to stop relying on others to bail them out as Maggie Thatcher said

What about people who aren't being bailed out, but are being given their first opportunity?

It's not a lyrical thing or a musical thing for me.

The album just seems awkward, like I just hear Dollars and Cents and Morning Bell Part 2 and Life in Glasshouse and Sardines and think oooh....it's not such a beautiful day today is it, that's not to say I hate the songs, just they don't make me go out and wanna enjoy life....

It's personal, the songs might hit me, but don't hit the spot like a good block of chocolate or a good European beer or whatever......

What, do you only enjoy songs that make you want to enjoy life?

People deserve some respite if they show the willingness to change

Some people just dont listen - they want money to buy more booze instead of thinking "i'll clean myself up and try and get a job" - the handout culture here is shocking

People who have 7/8 kids and no job get a free house! Taxpayers money to fund these layabouts - The kids should be taken away and the parents made to work!

What, do you only enjoy songs that make you want to enjoy life?

No, you can take a song like Joy Division's Candidate, and it's fucking depressing as anything....but I love it, and I keep going back to it, cause it's a bloody great song.....

It's the awkwardness and lack of cohesion in the mood created by Amnesiac that makes it a difficult listening to experience. It's like what are you trying to do here, and you're not doing a very good job at it are you.....maybe I feel this way because of the brilliance that was kind of shafted away as b-sides (Kinetic, Lull, Cuttooth)...I can never enjoy the album because of wasted oppurtunity or whatever maybe....

Maybe I'm just underwhelmed...

Why writes songs about how messed up the world is

Most people dont care about that stuff

Why not listen to songs that make you want to do something with your life rather than think "gosh, the world is a terrible place" - Radiohead caters for people who are depressed

I like Radiohead but they are massivley overrated - its clear from their lyrics and whiny frontman they need some Prozac

There's a time and a place for everything in the emotional spectrum. It's healthy to listen to something more cathartic on occasion.

Am I always in the mood to listen to Radiohead's occasionally morbid imagery and self-loathing? Of course not. But it doesn't make them any less of a band for indulging in that. Furthermore, the first impression you get from a set of lyrics can often be tinted by the music behind them. Study the lyrics and you'll find there's more to them than you originally assumed; this depth is what makes Radiohead such a great band.

People deserve some respite if they show the willingness to change

Some people just dont listen - they want money to buy more booze instead of thinking "i'll clean myself up and try and get a job" - the handout culture here is shocking

People who have 7/8 kids and no job get a free house! Taxpayers money to fund these layabouts - The kids should be taken away and the parents made to work!

That's completely unrelated to what I asked you.

It's quite clear that you haven't thought about this and/or lack the ability to do so. I know you want to convince yourself that there's logical reasoning behind you being a lazy, inconsiderate fuck, but there's not. It's simply you being a fuck.

I usually avoid getting involved in arguments like this but I just feel that I need to say something about this.

First off, the Radiohead issue. Yes, it's true that most of Radiohead's songs are not as uplifting as U2's. But that doesn't mean they should be ignore or labeled as "whiners." People go through many different emotions and experiences in their lives. Sometimes, you want to listen to a sad song if you are in a depressed mood. For example, when I'm depressed, I listen to How To Disappear Completely because it's cathartic for me. I can just lose myself in the song and let me experience my emotions instead of ignoring them. That wouldn't work if I put on something like Beautiful Day for example. It would be too much in contrast with my mood.

Also, not many Radiohead songs are really that depressing. Most of them are more thought-provoking and deal with personal/global issues. I saw them live over the summer I can tell you that all throughout so-called depressing tracks like "Lucky" and "Paranoid Android," I had a big smile on my face. So I feel that with Radiohead, you can have it both ways. You can just enjoy the music but you can also connect to it with a large range of emotions. That's what truly great bands let you do.

As for the India thing, I know that you can't give to everyone who asks for money but I really dislike the attitude you have about them. You're coming off as kinda snobby like you deserve the lifestyle you have whereas they don't. I'm not saying that you should give all your money away to the world's poor. But you shouldn't act like they annoy you just because they're looking for a way to improve their lives a little.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about that.

As for the Grammys, I think Radiohead should play Bangers and Mash. :wink:

That's completely unrelated to what I asked you.

It's quite clear that you haven't thought about this and/or lack the ability to do so. I know you want to convince yourself that there's logical reasoning behind you being a lazy, inconsiderate fuck, but there's not. It's simply you being a fuck.

Oh poor them - am i to give up my place at uni for someone more deserving now?

No one came knocking on my door and said "hey sunshine here is your golden ticket to uni" or whatever it may be

I dont give a flying fuck about anything other than the needs of my family and I

There's a time and a place for everything in the emotional spectrum. It's healthy to listen to something more cathartic on occasion.
Am I always in the mood to listen to Radiohead's occasionally morbid imagery and self-loathing? Of course not. But it doesn't make them any less of a band for indulging in that. Furthermore, the first impression you get from a set of lyrics can often be tinted by the music behind them. Study the lyrics and you'll find there's more to them than you originally assumed; this depth is what makes Radiohead such a great band.

+1

Though I'd argue that Thommy isn't that great as a cathartic lyricist when compared with Paul Banks, Morrissey, Curtis among others....or he was awesome, but it became a little bit cliche from Kid A onwards......OK Computer was his lyric peak....just my two dollars and cents

train_wreck1.jpg

Oh poor them - am i to give up my place at uni for someone more deserving now?

No one came knocking on my door and said "hey sunshine here is your golden ticket to uni" or whatever it may be

I dont give a flying fuck about anything other than the needs of my family and I

I understand. You've made it quite clear. I'm just trying to make you understand how horrible of a human being you are, just so you don't think there's some logical explanation behind it. There's not. You're just scum.

I dont think you will be able to convince me to your way of thinking

I believe my way is 100% right

I am now off to make my carbon footprint even bigger - might sleep with the computer, speakers and lamp on considering i dont have to pay for electricity bills where I am

Goodnight - make sure you remember people are dying in Africa as we speak

Perhaps a copy of Kid A will save them or maybe Amnesiac. Discuss.

Anyway...

In Rainbows is Radiohead's most consistent album? Discuss.

I think that's a fair assumption. I, of course, would give OK Computer that title because I like every single song on it, but it's perfectly understandable that someone else would give it to In Rainbows, which is arguably their most "crafted" and coherent album.

I think that's a fair assumption. I, of course, would give OK Computer that title because I like every single song on it, but it's perfectly understandable that someone else would give it to In Rainbows, which is arguably their most "crafted" and coherent album.

No Surprises and The Tourist are sort of low points for me on OK Computer, whereas there is really no low point on In Rainbows for me, which is why I rank it slightly ahead.

I agree with that. In Rainbows is probably the only Radiohead album in which I like every song a large amount. I would have said The Bends could challenge it if it wasn't for High and Dry and Sulk. OK Computer is probably the closest in terms of consistency but there are just a couple of songs I can't get into on that. No matter how much I try, I can not get into Subterranean Homesick Alien.

No Surprises and The Tourist are sort of low points for me on OK Computer, whereas there is really no low point on In Rainbows for me, which is why I rank it slightly ahead.

I think OK Computer is absolutely brilliant thematically, which pushes it ahead of everything in their discography. The production is incredible too, superior to In Rainbows. Still, I'll give that album its props. It's certainly one of their four classic albums.

I don't hate it: I enjoy about half of it, find the rest uninteresting.

2+2=5, There There, A Punchup at a Wedding, Myxomatosis, and A Wolf at the Door are all great tracks.

The best song from those sessions is "Gagging Order," sir.

I think I prefer Morning Bell/Amnesiac to Morning Bell on Kid A.

Same.

They would not take no for an answer

If you ignored them they would say "oh my kids, oh this that and the other"

And one kid tried to put his hand in my brothers pocket so i shoved him out the way

If you walk the streets they follow you for ages - they think just because your from the UK you must be loaded. If you gave a penny to everyone who asked you'd end up on the streets yourself.

When you stop at traffic lights they bang on your windows.

Its not just India - i dont care about homless people in the UK if they are druggies - should have thought otherwise before becoming wasters

You'd hate Slumdog Millionaire.

It's not a lyrical thing or a musical thing for me.

The album just seems awkward, like I just hear Dollars and Cents and Morning Bell Part 2 and Life in Glasshouse and Sardines and think oooh....it's not such a beautiful day today is it, that's not to say I hate the songs, just they don't make me go out and wanna enjoy life....

It's personal, the songs might hit me, but don't hit the spot like a good block of chocolate or a good European beer or whatever......

I don't know why I cherry-picked this post out, but it cracks me up.

The CONDUCTOR signal.

I think OK Computer is absolutely brilliant thematically, which pushes it ahead of everything in their discography. The production is incredible too, superior to In Rainbows. Still, I'll give that album its props. It's certainly one of their four classic albums.

Yesh.

The best song from those sessions is "Gagging Order," sir.

Same.

You'd hate Slumdog Millionaire.

I don't know why I cherry-picked this post out, but it cracks me up.

The CONDUCTOR signal.

Yesh.

This post is quality, so here's a treat. Go to Google Maps, search "8 sampsonia way, pittsburgh PA," click Street View, and turn slightly to the left.

My second cousin sent me that on Facebook and I cracked up. I have no idea how he found it.

My second cousin sent me that on Facebook and I cracked up. I have no idea how he found it.

He remembered that 2 years ago, a battle was fought on that hollowed ground. And that he, and only he, would be the one to tell the entire world about it.

Naturally, they forgot and read Twilight and listened to Oasis, but he carried that seed in him... and now, he has left that seed in you.

He remembered that 2 years ago, a battle was fought on that hollowed ground. And that he, and only he, would be the one to tell the entire world about it.

Naturally, they forgot and read Twilight and listened to Oasis, but he carried that seed in him... and now, he has left that seed in you.

I traveled 500 miles to give you my seed.

Back
Top Bottom