RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As always, count me among the Amnesiac supporters. Intedomine says there's "nothing special" about Life in a Glasshouse, yet some of us think it's one of the band's best. I think a New Orleans-style brass section on a Radiohead album was pretty damned special, but whatever. The lyrics, chilling in the way they implicate the audience ("Well of course I'd like to sit and chew the fat/but someone's listening in") is brilliant, to say the least.

I agree that Kid A is the more impressive "piece" as a whole, but to me the songwriting on Amnesiac is superior, and I mean that from a musical and lyrical standpoint, even if it's a bit scattershot. Pyramid Song shits all over How to Disappear, hoses it down like a new inmate, and shits on it again for good measure.

I think a New Orleans-style brass section on a Radiohead album was pretty damned special, but whatever. The lyrics, chilling in the way they implicate the audience ("Well of course I'd like to sit and chew the fat/but someone's listening in") is brilliant, to say the least.

:love: What's not to love?

As always, count me among the Amnesiac supporters. Intedomine says there's "nothing special" about Life in a Glasshouse, yet some of us think it's one of the band's best. I think a New Orleans-style brass section on a Radiohead album was pretty damned special, but whatever. The lyrics, chilling in the way they implicate the audience ("Well of course I'd like to sit and chew the fat/but someone's listening in") is brilliant, to say the least.

Thommy's vocal and the lyrics are grace-savers. It's a top lyric. To give credit to Glasshouse, at least the brass actually contributes something to the song, unlike with National Anthem where it just seemed to be a case of using brass for the sake of it and to be as left-field as possible, and this decision undermines the tune. Just my two dollars and cents.

Radiohead have sounded more enjoyable than they do on Amnesiac, where they sound lethargic to me. Amnesiac is distasteful, and not in a good way. There's some clever tunes that move, but the album leaves me empty and discontent. There's no sweetness. And we all need a dose of that now and then. Fog or Worrywort might have done it.

I'm gonna play with the tracklisting, considering the b-sides. Something that is more listenable as a whole. Whenever I listen to Amnesiac I'm only ever drawn to about 3 or 4 songs, to listen to the rest is labourous. That's not a good thing.

Good to see some love for Motion Picture Soundtrack back there, I'm loving it. And no, haven't heard Amensiac, worth getting? I think I'll probably get Amnesiac and HTTT and then that's it.

Good to see some love for Motion Picture Soundtrack back there, I'm loving it. And no, haven't heard Amensiac, worth getting? I think I'll probably get Amnesiac and HTTT and then that's it.

Amnesiac is just worth getting as a compliment to Kid A. It's just not that great an album though. There are a few essential songs on there though. I Might Be Wrong, Pyramid Song, Like Spinning Plates. There's a lot of unmemorable bollocks on there as well though. That's just my personal reckoning.

Hail To Thief is white-album-esque and I love it. It's got some crackin' tunes, and is all over the joint in terms of the different styles Radiohead explore. Must've been on a real creative bender I reckon, couldn't stop writing songs. A less cohesive In Rainbows maybe.

You should, at the very least, pick up HTTT. Brilliant album.

And while it's being discussed I will say that I do appreciate Amnesiac and it has its classic moments, but it is the Radiohead album that I enjoy the least. And that includes Pablo Honey.

I agree that Kid A is the more impressive "piece" as a whole, but to me the songwriting on Amnesiac is superior, and I mean that from a musical and lyrical standpoint, even if it's a bit scattershot. Pyramid Song shits all over How to Disappear, hoses it down like a new inmate, and shits on it again for good measure.

As much as I like How to Disappear, I agree with this, Pyramid Song owns.

Amnesiac and HTTT are both awesome, get them both.

Life in a Glasshouse is the best song on Amnesiac easily

:tsk:

Better than Pyramid Song, I Might Be Wrong, You And Whose Army?, Packt like Sardines and Spinning Plates?

I think not good sir...

:tsk:

Better than Pyramid Song, I Might Be Wrong, You And Whose Army?, Packt like Sardines and Spinning Plates?

I think not good sir...

Those songs plus Life in a Glasshouse are the only songs on Amnesiac that I'd miss if they disappeared. Excluding live performances Life in a Glasshouse is the only brilliant song on the album

I think Hail is probably their third worst/least good/least amazing whatever you want to say. it's a pretty great album but has a few weak tracks that just bring it down. If I took several tracks off Hail I'd probably rank it up with The Bends.

I love the first 3 tracks, and There There (obviously). The Gloaming (well the studio version), I Will and Scatterbrain are the ones that just don't do anything for me. Remove those tracks and Hail is about the same overall as The Bends to me.

Oh and We Suck Young Blood too though I love the piano breakdown so that stays or at least that part...:wink:

That a live version of I Will? I've never heard it live...might change my mind

I'll give it a listen when I'm done on this album (Parklife by Blur)

:heart: I Will never understand the lack of love for this song.

And this version :drool:

It's sort of funny that the tour is over, IR is a year old, and here we are reviewing each record all over again. :wink:

I actually prefer that to the album version a lot; great performance

:up: that whole show is awesome actually, it's just Thom and Jonny semi accoustic almost...

It's sort of funny that the tour is over, IR is a year old, and here we are reviewing each record all over again. :wink:

the beat goes round and round

Back
Top Bottom