RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No one's attacking your opinion, just presenting theirs. Last time I checked, that was alright.

I wasn't implying you were, I'm just saying life would be so much easier (and more boring) if we all agreed. I really surprises me how polarised everyone is on every single thing, it was something I never even thought about before I originally came online.

Then again apparently my opinions are pretty screwed up (i.e. My opinion of Videotape)

KOL is hardly played over here (in Atlanta) I have only heard that song once on my local radio station. I do hear it quite a bit on NME.

Over here and in the UK, they've had a number one single with Sex on Fire and their album had the second highest first week sales of the year (After Coldplay). So yeah they're overplayed to an annoying extent.

Also it annoys me that they headlined the Main Stage at Oxegen while I had to see Cat Power with less than a thousand people in a much smaller tent, she deserved so much more of a crowd.

I've never understood how overexposure makes a song crappy. A song that's crappy will probably sound the best the first couple of times, but a song shouldn't go from crappy, to good, and back to crappy again.

The only way Sex On Fire sounds good is muted.

Most songs that I think are crappy due to overexposure and songs I never liked much at all. Most songs either grow on me or sound worse with more listens.

I mean I have songs I love that I don't listen to much because I really am tired of hearing them, after already hearing them a million times before, but if I go a while without listening to them, they sound much better.

I can't believe this album wasn't nominated for Album of the Year.

Agreed.

Album Of The Year

• Alicia Keys - As I Am
  • Coldplay - Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends
  • Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
  • Metallica - Death Magnetic
  • Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Raising Sand

Forget the RECESSION; this is why society is doomed.

I wasn't implying you were, I'm just saying life would be so much easier (and more boring) if we all agreed. I really surprises me how polarised everyone is on every single thing, it was something I never even thought about before I originally came online.

Then again apparently my opinions are pretty screwed up (i.e. My opinion of Videotape)

Oh, okay, I misinterpreted you then.

I run into people everyday who disagree with me more... it's surprisingly more solid for me here, excluding my nemesis.

Agreed.

Album Of The Year

• Alicia Keys - As I Am
  • Coldplay - Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends
  • Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
  • Metallica - Death Magnetic
  • Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Raising Sand

Forget the RECESSION; this is why society is doomed.

Please stop joking...please...

Oh, okay, I misinterpreted you then.

I run into people everyday who disagree with me more... it's surprisingly more solid for me here, excluding my nemesis.

I think one of the things I found most interesting about things like the Top 100 albums list wasn't the albums I didn't know but the albums I knew that I never really got into that made it. I'm still wondering if I'll ever hear what others do in albums like Velvet Underground & Nico, Surfer Rosa (Even though I've only recently gotten this one) and Revolver

Please stop joking...please...

I think one of the things I found most interesting about things like the Top 100 albums list wasn't the albums I didn't know but the albums I knew that I never really got into that made it. I'm still wondering if I'll ever hear what others do in albums like Velvet Underground & Nico, Surfer Rosa (Even though I've only recently gotten this one) and Revolver

And I wonder the same about The Smiths, Kate Bush, Genesis, etc... that's just how life is, mang.

Those 3 you just mentioned are all classics by my standards - just goes to show ya.

Record of the Year:
All Summer Long
Bleeding Love

:sad:

Song of the Year
Bleeding Love
Mercy

:sad:

New Artist
Duffy
Katy Perry
Leona Lewis
Miley Cyrus
Vampire Weekend

I seriously want Duffy to win this one...

All the Grammys are for are to boost record sales. It's the least legit of the major award ceremonies, which is truly saying something.

The one on grammy.com is correct, the noms for that category were announced live on TV and In Rainbows IS nominated for Album of the Year. I'm surprised, but pleased, that they were able to remember back that far and not relegate them to just the Alternative category (in which it is also nominated), as usual. House of Cards is nominated for Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals and Best Rock Song...wouldn't be the song from that album I'd pick, but...

Best New Artist was also announced on TV and the Jonas Brothers are indeed nominated. :huh:

Jonas Brothers for best new artist is hilarious...they've been around for years.

Jonas Brothers deserve Best Lyric for this

"Next time I see you
I'm giving you a high five
Cause hugs are over-rated just F.Y.I"

Brandon Flowers, Chris Martin eat your hearts out

Jonas Brothers deserve Best Lyric for this

"Next time I see you
I'm giving you a high five
Cause hugs are over-rated just F.Y.I"

Brandon Flowers, Chris Martin eat your hearts out

You cut me down a tree and brought it back to me
and that's what made me see where I was going wrong
You put me on a shelf and kept me for yourself
I can only blame myself, you can only blame me
and I could write a song a hundred miles long
Well that's where I belong and you belong with me

Damn, we got a close one here.

You cut me down a tree and brought it back to me
and that's what made me see where I was going wrong
You put me on a shelf and kept me for yourself
I can only blame myself, you can only blame me
and I could write a song a hundred miles long
Well that's where I belong and you belong with me

Damn, we got a close one here.

"Lucky that my breasts are small and humble
So you don't confuse them with mountains"

"Are we human or are we dancer?"

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head"

These could all be the single great lyric ever

I've never had a problem with the "freedom has a scent" lyric, but it feels shoehorned into Miracle Drug. I have no idea why it's there, or why Bono is going around sniffing the heads of infants. But it's not a bad piece of imagery. Certainly better than equating lumber to a bouquet or whatever the fuck it is Chrissy's doing.

You do have a really good point there :lol:

"and I could write a song a hundred miles long"

I wish he would do this and disappear until it was finished...

I think if Coldplay beats Radiohead for album I'll have to go on a NARAS witch hunt.

Of course, I've said the same thing about AMPAS countless times.

But one day!

Cool to see M.I.A.'s Paper Planes for record of the year, though.

Who knows, maybe Radiohead has earned enough respect (and made a pretty enough album) to take it. You think if they really had a problem with the band bucking the retail system, they wouldn't have even nominated it.

Hope VLVODAAHF win the album grammy. Would be so good to see the lads up there after years of toiling away.....

House Of Cards up for a Grammy :drool:. I'd be fuckin stoked if that won, but I feel that it's inclusion is tokenism to appease the indie folk, and to try and generate interest from these disillusioned alternative anti-commerical segments. Sex Is On Fire will win. Kings Of Leon are the "hottest" band right now....or so say all the commercial radio stations in Oz.

yeah, i think you hit it right on the nail there, "in Oz". KOL isn't nearly as big here in the U.S. as they are abroad. they're not off the radar here, but they're not huge either. i don't know if they'll win the Grammy. Coldplay are much bigger here in the States.

I thought we were mirroring the US in their sudden infatuation with KOL?

We've got an extraordinary situation where, after being totally ignored by commercial radio in Australia, all of a sudden, with this album release, they are untouchable, drooled over across the nation by everyone and anyone, their two previous albums penetrated the Top 20 in the album chart after barely registering 10,000 sales when they were released, the Melbourne gig sold out a 15,000 arena in 7 minutes. The band has gone from nowhere to somewhere in no time at all....it's quite remarkable.

the term "snowball's chance in hell" comes to mind...

They don't really strike me as an "awards show" band but stranger things have happened I guess....

yeah, i know they aren't that type but it could happen. And the whole carbon footprint thing will probably have something to do with them not being there I imagine a video taped speech of some sort will probably happen.

the term "snowball's chance in hell" comes to mind...

They don't really strike me as an "awards show" band but stranger things have happened I guess....

A friend of mine was on a flight with two of them (he could never tell me which ones but I always assumed Jonny & Thom since he didn't know their names but recognized them as being from Radiohead) from London to NYC for an awards show. I don't remember the show or the circumstances but I think it was right after Kid A. Maybe they were presenters?

But no, I don't see them performing on the Grammy's.

Back
Top Bottom