RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part 9 - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #361
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForIt View Post
erm no i dont think so

Whatever their circumstances are i am not there to help

I am NOT the good samaritan

People have to stop relying on others to bail them out as Maggie Thatcher said
What about people who aren't being bailed out, but are being given their first opportunity?

Old 01-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #362
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
It's not a lyrical thing or a musical thing for me.

The album just seems awkward, like I just hear Dollars and Cents and Morning Bell Part 2 and Life in Glasshouse and Sardines and think oooh....it's not such a beautiful day today is it, that's not to say I hate the songs, just they don't make me go out and wanna enjoy life....

It's personal, the songs might hit me, but don't hit the spot like a good block of chocolate or a good European beer or whatever......
What, do you only enjoy songs that make you want to enjoy life?

Old 01-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #363
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
What the fuck did I miss?

If people are bitching about Radiohead being depressing, I'd love to see their reaction to Joy Division.
Joy Division pull of depressing better than anyone....quite brilliantly, and quite enjoyably....
Old 01-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #364
Refugee

Local Time: 08:50 PM
People deserve some respite if they show the willingness to change

Some people just dont listen - they want money to buy more booze instead of thinking "i'll clean myself up and try and get a job" - the handout culture here is shocking

People who have 7/8 kids and no job get a free house! Taxpayers money to fund these layabouts - The kids should be taken away and the parents made to work!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #365
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
What, do you only enjoy songs that make you want to enjoy life?
No, you can take a song like Joy Division's Candidate, and it's fucking depressing as anything....but I love it, and I keep going back to it, cause it's a bloody great song.....

It's the awkwardness and lack of cohesion in the mood created by Amnesiac that makes it a difficult listening to experience. It's like what are you trying to do here, and you're not doing a very good job at it are you.....maybe I feel this way because of the brilliance that was kind of shafted away as b-sides (Kinetic, Lull, Cuttooth)...I can never enjoy the album because of wasted oppurtunity or whatever maybe....

Maybe I'm just underwhelmed...
Old 01-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #366
The Male

Local Time: 11:50 PM
Quote:
Why writes songs about how messed up the world is

Most people dont care about that stuff

Why not listen to songs that make you want to do something with your life rather than think "gosh, the world is a terrible place" - Radiohead caters for people who are depressed

I like Radiohead but they are massivley overrated - its clear from their lyrics and whiny frontman they need some Prozac
There's a time and a place for everything in the emotional spectrum. It's healthy to listen to something more cathartic on occasion.

Am I always in the mood to listen to Radiohead's occasionally morbid imagery and self-loathing? Of course not. But it doesn't make them any less of a band for indulging in that. Furthermore, the first impression you get from a set of lyrics can often be tinted by the music behind them. Study the lyrics and you'll find there's more to them than you originally assumed; this depth is what makes Radiohead such a great band.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:07 PM   #367
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
People deserve some respite if they show the willingness to change

Some people just dont listen - they want money to buy more booze instead of thinking "i'll clean myself up and try and get a job" - the handout culture here is shocking

People who have 7/8 kids and no job get a free house! Taxpayers money to fund these layabouts - The kids should be taken away and the parents made to work!
That's completely unrelated to what I asked you.

It's quite clear that you haven't thought about this and/or lack the ability to do so. I know you want to convince yourself that there's logical reasoning behind you being a lazy, inconsiderate fuck, but there's not. It's simply you being a fuck.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #368
Refugee

I usually avoid getting involved in arguments like this but I just feel that I need to say something about this.

First off, the Radiohead issue. Yes, it's true that most of Radiohead's songs are not as uplifting as U2's. But that doesn't mean they should be ignore or labeled as "whiners." People go through many different emotions and experiences in their lives. Sometimes, you want to listen to a sad song if you are in a depressed mood. For example, when I'm depressed, I listen to How To Disappear Completely because it's cathartic for me. I can just lose myself in the song and let me experience my emotions instead of ignoring them. That wouldn't work if I put on something like Beautiful Day for example. It would be too much in contrast with my mood.

Also, not many Radiohead songs are really that depressing. Most of them are more thought-provoking and deal with personal/global issues. I saw them live over the summer I can tell you that all throughout so-called depressing tracks like "Lucky" and "Paranoid Android," I had a big smile on my face. So I feel that with Radiohead, you can have it both ways. You can just enjoy the music but you can also connect to it with a large range of emotions. That's what truly great bands let you do.

As for the India thing, I know that you can't give to everyone who asks for money but I really dislike the attitude you have about them. You're coming off as kinda snobby like you deserve the lifestyle you have whereas they don't. I'm not saying that you should give all your money away to the world's poor. But you shouldn't act like they annoy you just because they're looking for a way to improve their lives a little.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about that.

As for the Grammys, I think Radiohead should play Bangers and Mash.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #369
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
That's completely unrelated to what I asked you.

It's quite clear that you haven't thought about this and/or lack the ability to do so. I know you want to convince yourself that there's logical reasoning behind you being a lazy, inconsiderate fuck, but there's not. It's simply you being a fuck.
Oh poor them - am i to give up my place at uni for someone more deserving now?

No one came knocking on my door and said "hey sunshine here is your golden ticket to uni" or whatever it may be

I dont give a flying fuck about anything other than the needs of my family and I
Old 01-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #370
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
There's a time and a place for everything in the emotional spectrum. It's healthy to listen to something more cathartic on occasion.
Am I always in the mood to listen to Radiohead's occasionally morbid imagery and self-loathing? Of course not. But it doesn't make them any less of a band for indulging in that. Furthermore, the first impression you get from a set of lyrics can often be tinted by the music behind them. Study the lyrics and you'll find there's more to them than you originally assumed; this depth is what makes Radiohead such a great band.
+1

Though I'd argue that Thommy isn't that great as a cathartic lyricist when compared with Paul Banks, Morrissey, Curtis among others....or he was awesome, but it became a little bit cliche from Kid A onwards......OK Computer was his lyric peak....just my two dollars and cents
Old 01-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #371
The Male

Local Time: 11:50 PM
I'm going to go talk about Radiohead in FYM now.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #372
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:50 AM
Old 01-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #373
Refugee

The Reckoner is a good tune

I dont like the B-sides of In Rainbows though
Old 01-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #374
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Oh poor them - am i to give up my place at uni for someone more deserving now?

No one came knocking on my door and said "hey sunshine here is your golden ticket to uni" or whatever it may be

I dont give a flying fuck about anything other than the needs of my family and I
I understand. You've made it quite clear. I'm just trying to make you understand how horrible of a human being you are, just so you don't think there's some logical explanation behind it. There's not. You're just scum.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #375
Blue Crack Supplier

Anyway...

In Rainbows is Radiohead's most consistent album? Discuss.

Tags
in rainbows, radiohead