RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My ratings for the albums pitchfork style

Kid A - 9.7
OK Computer - 9.6
In Rainbows - 8.9
The Bends - 8.6
Hail to the Thief - 8.0
Amnesiac - 6.3
Pablo Honey - 5.1

With 0 being terrible; 2.5 being bad; 5.0 being good (as in enjoyable but nothing special); 7.5 being great and 10 being masterpiece; or something like that

That live version of I Will is only slightly-less boring. I don't see what the big deal is, and how anyone can call Scatterbrain "Radiohead by numbers" when I Will is just totally lacking in anything, including emotion. Makes McCartney's song of the same name seem like a masterpiece.

My ratings for the albums pitchfork style

Kid A - 9.7
OK Computer - 9.6
In Rainbows - 8.9
The Bends - 8.6
Hail to the Thief - 8.0
Amnesiac - 6.3
Pablo Honey - 5.1

With 0 being terrible; 2.5 being bad; 5.0 being good (as in enjoyable but nothing special); 7.5 being great and 10 being masterpiece; or something like that

OK Computer - 9.6
In Rainbows - 9.0
Kid A - 8.7
The Bends - 8.5
--------------------
Amnesiac - 7.5
Pablo Honey - 7.2
--------------------
Hail To The Thief - 6.8

My rankings:

OK Computer - 9.2
The Bends - 9.19
Kid A - 9.18

In Rainbows - 8.5
Amnesiac - 7.5
Hail To The Thief - 6.75
Pablo Honey - 6.25

ah fuck

I still can't decide which song goes on my cowboy friend's mix.

It's down to:

Let Down
Optimistic
Go to Sleep
2+2=5

Although I think Go to Sleep is not it.

If not Go To Sleep, it's got to be Let Down. Optimistic is great, but not a track that will get them excited in the band all by itself (it's one of those Kid A tracks that work well in context but feel strange elsewhere, to me anyway), and 2+2=5? Well...they have better songs.

Optimistic is great, but not a track that will get them excited in the band all by itself

Optimistic was the first Radiohead song I heard. It got me into the band, and I bought Kid A and OK Computer both the next day (the day Kid A came out).

Optimistic was the first Radiohead song I heard. It got me into the band, and I bought Kid A and OK Computer both the next day (the day Kid A came out).

Dammit, I had a good theory going there. Your opinion is of no consequence at all. :down:

OK Computer - 9.8
In Rainbows - 9.0
Hail To The Thief - 8.5
Kid A - 8.5

The Bends 6.3
Amnesiac 6.3

For what it's worth.....

"I Will" is pretty inconsequential as a song on it's own. So short, I don't really have an opinion on it, I do think it flows intoo Punch Up brillianty. It's a bit drab when taken on it's own.

Scatterbrain is Radiohead in autopilot musically I reckon, and that's not a criticism, but something quite cool. It's quite pleasant on the ear, Tom's despairing lyric paints images, very exciting and mysterious.

"Window sill......!"

That live version of I Will is only slightly-less boring. I don't see what the big deal is, and how anyone can call Scatterbrain "Radiohead by numbers" when I Will is just totally lacking in anything, including emotion. Makes McCartney's song of the same name seem like a masterpiece.

meh, to each his own I guess :shrug:

I stand by Scatterbrain = Radiohead by numbers... it sounds like it could fit on any of their albums OK Computer onward, reminds me of Knives Out but less interesting...

I Will is full of emotion if you ask me, it's like a dark little lullaby told after some sort of apocalyptic disaster...

I stand by Scatterbrain = Radiohead by numbers... it sounds like it could fit on any of their albums OK Computer onward....

Fair call. But on album as all-over-the-place as HTTT, it's inclusion on the album is probably warranted. It's less distinguishable than most other Radiohead songs, but it's impressive lyrically, and Yorke's vocal has never sounded so genuine IMO.

I always enjoy it when it comes on.

We Suck Young Blood is downright awful. I can't even listen to it in a broader album context anymore. It's a waste of 5 long minutes.

We Suck Young Blood is downright awful. I can't even listen to it in a broader album context anymore. It's a waste of 5 long minutes.

:up: The only enjoyable bit is the more upbeat piano break in the middle. But that proves to be a cruel deceit, as the song goes right back to its monotony 10 seconds later (yes, I know the monotony is intentional, but it's still dull at best, unlistenable at worst).

And Scatterbrain is very good. Radiohead-by-numbers, maybe, but experimentation is not inherently wonderful, as evidenced by my tearing apart of We Suck........Young Blood. It's just relaxing and enjoyable, hardly a sin.

:up: The only enjoyable bit is the more upbeat piano break in the middle. But that proves to be a cruel deceit, as the song goes right back to its monotony 10 seconds later

:lol: It's true, but I love that cruel deceit of a piano break so much that the whole song kind of grew on me. I remember vividly the first time I heard it I was cleaning the house I was about to move out of, scrubbing the kitchen floor on my hands and knees, and suddenly I was like, wtf is Thom Yorke screeching about in there?? Somebody just shoot him! I had to stop, take off the rubber clothes, and go investigate the situation, looked at the lyrics, and then hit "next." But like I said, I came to kind of like it.

I remember vividly the first time I heard it I was cleaning the house I was about to move out of, scrubbing the kitchen floor on my hands and knees, and suddenly I was like, wtf is Thom Yorke screeching about in there?? Somebody just shoot him!

:lmao: It really was awful the first time I heard it!

Back
Top Bottom