RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The scream!

AAGGGHHH!

The string arrangement is fantastic. I think they said they were trying to "avoid strings that sounded like Eleanor Rigby, 'cause that's how all strings have sounded for thirty years." That worked out very well.

No need to be discreet. It certainly has more great songs, and shouldn't be overlooked for its diversity of styles. It's overlong and a fucking mess, but also a bit of a tour-de-force.

Personally I'd prune I Will and We Suck Young Blood.

Almost in full agreeance with you for once. It's whitealbumesque.

Though I don't see a need to prune I Will, it's harmless enough, merely a means of seguing between There There and Punch Up.

We Suck Young Blood is quite simply a bad song with no redeeming features. Radiohead should be ashamed of it. Feral excuse for a "song", what the fuck were they thinking.

I think We Suck Young Blood would be good if it actually went somewhere. It's the just the same thing for 4 minutes. The most interesting part is the 10 seconds where Thom gets crazy on the piano. They really should have developed that more.

We Suck Young Blood sounds like a song from a musical about a bunch of vampires...the piano breakdown is awesome though

I don't know what happened...
I said before in this thread that I never cared too much about Radiohead and that liked In Rainbows and that was it.

But yesterday I listened to OK Computer (not the first time, I have heard it before several times) and it was magical.... It was beautiful...what an album...:love:
Today I'll try with Kid A. I really don't know why this happened.

I don't know what happened...
I said before in this thread that I never cared too much about Radiohead and that liked In Rainbows and that was it.

But yesterday I listened to OK Computer (not the first time, I have heard it before several times) and it was magical.... It was beautiful...what an album...:love:

Bwahahahaha. It happens. Don't fight it.

Let it wash all over you.

Skip Kid A and go listen to OK Computer about 20 more times. Because you're worth it.

Skip Kid A and go listen to OK Computer about 20 more times. Because you're worth it.

:wink:

No he should listen to Kid A, it's just as good as OK

Mmmm, not really. It falls apart for me in its second half. OK C. is much better IMO.

I just listened to Kid A and I must say it wasn't nowhere near as magical (I'm trying to find a different word to describe, but I'm not able) as OK Computer. Again, Kid A is an album that I have listened many times in the past just like OK and I remember that I used to enjoy it more than OK. Not anymore, although it's a great record... but with two fillers that bring the whole album down. Kid A and In Limbo, two tracks with weird vocals pasted over "strange" melodies that sound that something that was done just for the sake of it. I understand that the pressure after OK must have been awful and I believe that this record has some really powerful tracks.
But what I noticed with Radiohead is how their songs are "cinematographic" with a great concerning with the songs' outro and how they're not a band that have songs that you usually return just to listen and shake your head along with it (nothing against it, since those are my favorite kind of songs) except for a few "poppy" ones like Optimistic. Therefore, what really matters is to listen to their albums as a whole and that's why those two tracks make such a difference when hearing Kid A. IMO.
Another thing is how this album is way more instrumental, with less lyrics and those are very abstract too. So maybe this album is a grower grower (in my case it's two. :D ) Of course, I'm saying that comparing it to OK, cause on its own it's a great album.

Anyway...
I'm still amazed by the fact that I'm enjoying Radiohead so much. I was pretty sure that I would listen to Kid A and realize that yesterday was just a "moment" and that I would return to find them just "good". I was wrong.:applaud:
I've listened to all their albums at least once in my life, but I want your opinion now: which album should I try tomorrow? (except for In Rainbows)

Hahahhahahah.... the album that made me say "meh" when talk about Radiohead in the first place. Yeah... maybe it's time to try it again.
Thanks!
Anyway, I'm still accepting suggestions. ;)

Kid A took me 10 full listens before I fell in love with the whole thing, but I did enjoy individual tracks ("Idioteque," "Optimistic," "How to Disappear...").

The best thing to do is wait until nighttime, get a stellar pair of headphones, lay in bed, and just focus on that for 40 minutes... it's the best way I've found to listen to it.

OK Computer and The Bends kick copious amounts of ass and are highly recommended to anyone who likes things that are awesome.

Kid A took me 10 full listens before I fell in love with the whole thing, but I did enjoy individual tracks ("Idioteque," "Optimistic," "How to Disappear...").

The best thing to do is wait until nighttime, get a stellar pair of headphones, lay in bed, and just focus on that for 40 minutes... it's the best way I've found to listen to it.

OK Computer and The Bends kick copious amounts of ass and are highly recommended to anyone who likes things that are awesome.

Those are the only three tracks that I enjoy off Kid A, as it turns out.

The title track is one of the worst things I've ever heard, as well as the horn part of The National Anthem. Just awful.

Those are the only three tracks that I enjoy off Kid A, as it turns out.

You may be on the same path then, good sir.

"Treefingers" is a great atmospheric track... reading about how it was produced added to my appreciation as well.

OK Computer is my favorite overall Radiohead album. Hell, I even like "Fitter Happier."

But The National Anthem kicks so much ass live. :drool:

That I don't disagree with, and I also tend to enjoy Everything in Its Right Place live (I generally like Yorke's vocals, but six dubs of him simply wailing over himself played all at once isn't a great listening experience during the studio version).

Back
Top Bottom