RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
train_wreck1.jpg

suicide_jumper.gif

Catching up on what I had missed was a painful, yet hilarious, experience.

I don't believe anything MadForIt has said is ban-worthy (in a perfect world he'd have gotten the boot by now just for being an insensitive ass), but would it be possible to get a group of us to commit to not responding to anything by him in the future?

Hopefully the silent treatment from enough people will cause him to either disappear, stay out of threads where he's now essentially a troll, or rethink the way he acts on this forum, and hopefully towards other people.

It saddens me that a quote of that evil witch Margaret Thatcher doesn't even elicit a response.

Anyone with me?

I don't believe anything MadForIt has said is ban-worthy (in a perfect world he'd have gotten the boot by now just for being an insensitive ass), but would it be possible to get a group of us to commit to not responding to anything by him in the future?

Hopefully the silent treatment from enough people will cause him to either disappear, stay out of threads where he's now essentially a troll, or rethink the way he acts on this forum, and hopefully towards other people.

It saddens me that a quote of that evil witch Margaret Thatcher doesn't even elicit a response.

Anyone with me?

I mistakenly thought pointing out that many others feel exactly the same about Oasis as he does about essentially every other band on earth would sorta make him realize that, "OMG, people are different and like and dislike different things!". It did nothing other than egg him on though, so I kinda feel bad I stooped down to his level. Sadly, I actually enjoy the first two Oasis albums, but people like him and LastEdgeOnEarth sure do a great job of completely turning people off of the things they think are great. As LJT said, I too never understand people who think it's appropriate to repeatedly piss on everyone else's parades. You'd think someone who has absolutely nothing good to say about any music other than Oasis wouldn't even come to a "general music discussion" forum. :shrug:

In summary, I'm in. I'm even tempted to put the kid on ignore. Interference does still have that, don't they?

I didn't even think about that. I told myself I'd never do that, but it would certainly lessen the temptation to want to respond to a bunch of idiotic comments.

I just can't believe someone would actually type "I don't care about anyone except for my friends and family" and expect anything but contempt. And if he's not being serious, then he's a troll and should at least get a warning.

Sadly, I actually enjoy the first two Oasis albums, but people like him and LastEdgeOnEarth sure do a great job of completely turning people off of the things they think are great.

You mean I haven't turned you off to Starflyer 59 yet? :wink:

Catching up on what I had missed was a painful, yet hilarious, experience.

I would never have participated at all had I known what we were really dealing with. I should venture out beyond 4 basic forums now and then so I know who these people are but it's scary out there. :no:

I was laughing my ass off, though.

So yeah, I'm in.

The head of state has called for me by name
But I don't have time for him
It's gonna be a glorious day!
I feel my luck could change

Pull me out of the aircrash
Pull me out of the lake
'Cause I'm your superhero
We are standing on the edge

Before I checked the lyrics, the only lines I could decipher from this section were three and four...

Why writes songs about how messed up the world is

Most people dont care about that stuff

Why not listen to songs that make you want to do something with your life rather than think "gosh, the world is a terrible place" - Radiohead caters for people who are depressed

I like Radiohead but they are massivley overrated - its clear from their lyrics and whiny frontman they need some Prozac

To be fair this is how I felt about Radiohead before I became a fan, I thought they were an ultra-depressing band, pointless to listen to for anyone remotely depressed should it make them even more so.

What, do you only enjoy songs that make you want to enjoy life?

What on god's earth would possibly be wrong with that?

There's a time and a place for everything in the emotional spectrum. It's healthy to listen to something more cathartic on occasion.

Am I always in the mood to listen to Radiohead's occasionally morbid imagery and self-loathing? Of course not. But it doesn't make them any less of a band for indulging in that. Furthermore, the first impression you get from a set of lyrics can often be tinted by the music behind them. Study the lyrics and you'll find there's more to them than you originally assumed; this depth is what makes Radiohead such a great band.

This post wins. The reason I love Radiohead now is solely because of the depth. There is incredible substance behind every song/album Radiohead's made that I've heard. Yeah, the music may be a little disconsolate at times, but I've found that there's always something to be solaced from their music. Even Thom's admitted this.

Take songs like Airbag, for example. I think that's great imagery. A song about "that wonderful, positive emotion you feel when you've just failed to have a car accident... jump out of the car and scream, 'I'm alive, I'm alive!'" No Surprises? Not a lot of hope in the lyrics there. Beguilingly pretty song however. Weird Fishes? "I hit the bottom and escape..." is evocative and cathartic for me, at least. The end of Videotape, "because I know today has been the most perfecct day I've ever seen."

Sometimes, you want to listen to a sad song if you are in a depressed mood. For example, when I'm depressed, I listen to How To Disappear Completely because it's cathartic for me. I can just lose myself in the song and let me experience my emotions instead of ignoring them.

This is a great example, and I feel the same. I couldn't go and listen to BD if it contrasted too much with my mood.

I understand. You've made it quite clear. I'm just trying to make you understand how horrible of a human being you are, just so you don't think there's some logical explanation behind it. There's not. You're just scum.

Why? :|

I just received the HOC recycled plastic t-shirt I ordered.

They sent the wrong size.

I don't think I can even get it over my head.

:grumpy:

I just received the HOC recycled plastic t-shirt I ordered.

They sent the wrong size.

I don't think I can even get it over my head.

:grumpy:

I plan on getting one soon. Do they run big or small or just right?

Last night was a lot of fun

I must say a big thanyou to U2popmofo, impy13 and phillyfan26 whom without such fun would not have been possible

I make one comment on In Rainbows where i said i LIKE it, yet it descends into a 6 page post fest - i dont even mention the O word yet everyone else brings it up

Same time next week?:up:

why was it so painful to say i think In Rainbows wipes the floor with the 2 previous efforts?

That was the ONE comment I initially made

"talk about over analysing things
9 parts for one album!
I would not expect anything less from Radiohead fans
To be fair i like In Rainbows - better than Amnesiac and Hail to the Theif which were pretty shit"

The rest was just reactionary

I said one fucking thing yesterday, man. And I stand by it. Anyone who thinks Amnesiac is a shit record needs a lobotomy. I can understand not liking it, I can understand it not being one's thing, but I can't fathom how anyone can say it's a shit record.

You're welcome, anyway. Interference would be nothing without inspired silliness.

And as for the nine threads for the record, they've included everything: pre-release hype, initial reactions, tour shit, setlists, photos, other news, etc. It's not that outlandish. We keep all of our Radiohead discussion in these threads.

I plan on getting one soon. Do they run big or small or just right?

Hard to say since they sent me the wrong size. They sent a small instead of the medium I ordered but based on how tiny the small is, I think they run small.

Would you say I'm a cut-up?

STOP IT!

I'm in PIECES! :lmao:

why was it so painful to say i think In Rainbows wipes the floor with the 2 previous efforts?

That was the ONE comment I initially made

"talk about over analysing things
9 parts for one album!
To be fair i like In Rainbows - better than Amnesiac and Hail to the Theif which were pretty shit"

The rest was just reactionary

Let's take a look at that first post, shall we?

What are we saying here? Sounds to me like something insulting or at the very least condescending...

But here is the heart of the matter:

To be fair i like In Rainbows - better than Amnesiac and Hail to the Theif which were pretty shit

If you post something like this in a RADIOHEAD thread and not expect a negative response then I don't know what to tell you... You could have just left if at "To be fair i like In Rainbows" but no, you just had to add in the rest there so you got what you deserved imo...

With pretty much every band shirt I've ever purchased, they're either perfect before you wash it, or you're drowning in it. And for some reason, the ones that are perfect when you first buy them always seem to shrink beyond tiny status, and the huge shirts seem to not shrink up in any way, shape, or form.

They leave me high, they leave me dry.

I cant help being right all the time

Perhaps this is why i think Amnesiac is bad, not as bad as Hail to the Thief which is diabolical

"Yorke said, "I read that the gnostics believe when we are born we are forced to forget where we have come from in order to deal with the trauma of arriving in this life. I thought this was really fascinating. It's like the river of forgetfulness. It may have been recorded at same time... but it comes from a different place I think. It sounds like finding an old chest in someone's attic with all these notes and maps and drawings and descriptions of going to a place you cannot remember. That's what I think anyway."[2]

No wonder it sounds shit

With pretty much every band shirt I've ever purchased, they're either perfect before you wash it, or you're drowning in it. And for some reason, the ones that are perfect when you first buy them always seem to shrink beyond tiny status, and the huge shirts seem to not shrink up in any way, shape, or form.

They leave me high, they leave me dry.

I leave my t-shirts high and dry (the ones I want to keep nice anyway). In other words, I wash them without drying them. Keeps the shape and color

Anyone with me?

I'm down. He did not deserve the time of day I gave him.

What on god's earth would possibly be wrong with that?

Why? :|

Because that means any lyrics with depth are thrown out because they don't make you jump out of your chair and say, "Let's go have a happy day!"

And what do you mean, "why?" Did you not see the series of posts he made?

phillyfan26 has got the bends it seems

Look at it this way

We provided people with a lot of entertainment - probably more than the stuff on tv last night

Back
Top Bottom