RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why writes songs about how messes up the world is

Most people dont care about that stuff

Why not listen to songs that make you want to do something with your life rather than think "gosh, the world is a terrible place" - Radiohead caters for people who are depressed

I like Radiohead but they are massivley overrated - its clear from their lyrics and whiny frontman they need some Prozac

I think what you're really saying here is that you are overly influenced by all the emotions and images that you project onto music while listening to it. It's about YOU, not them.

Why writes songs about how messed up the world is

Why not listen to songs that make you want to do something with your life rather than think "gosh, the world is a terrible place" - Radiohead caters for people who are depressed

I like Radiohead but they are massivley overrated - its clear from their lyrics and whiny frontman they need some Prozac

Really? Music as an art form should represent the whole spectrum of the human experience, it shouldn't limit itself by such silly notions, otherwise music would truly be dead.

I'm pretty sure none of us get these arguments, LJT.

I know, these arguments just exasperate my mental faculties at 2 in the morning:wink:

We all have a great passion for music, and when I love something which I shall assume is the same for most here, I really love it, but what I never get is people who denigrate a band if they aren't a fan as in what Madforit seems to be doing, why waste your energy when you can just be enjoying the music you do like? It's like all those extreme U2 haters, why bother?

Every person has problems in their life, no one is perfect

Why not try and escape from these problems or seek influence to improve your own situation than listen to music that makes you think more about your problems and makes you feel even more down

Why make important statements and be outwardly emotional when you can just be catchy, and poppy, and not make people think about anything at all, guys?

I know, these arguments just exasperate my mental faculties at 2 in the morning:wink:

We all have a great passion for music, and when I love something which I shall assume is the same for most here, I really love it, but what I never get is people who denigrate a band if they aren't a fan as in what Madforit seems to be doing, why waste your energy when you can just be enjoying the music you do like? It's like all those extreme U2 haters, why bother?

Obviously what i am about to say does not apply to you

but Radiohead fans are equally as bad when it comes to trashing other bands

^A lot of people are like that but it's not a tit for tat thing, rise above and ignore and continue to enjoy what you enjoy, but I do feel you are limiting yourself somewhat.

It makes you feel down...not everyone else...as Joyfulgirl says, thats your own emotions on, it doesn't make everyone feel the same way.

Anyway depressing songs can be more cathartic than reinforcing depression anyway...i'm pretty sure there are some psychological studies on it.

Every person has problems in their life, no one is perfect

Why not try and escape from these problems or seek influence to improve your own situation than listen to music that makes you think more about your problems and makes you feel even more down

You probably cringed that one time Oasis wrote a lyric that might be considered emotional, didn't you?

Good thing that didn't last.

Why make important statements and be outwardly emotional when you can just be catchy, and poppy, and not make people think about anything at all, guys?

Well some people would appreciate the music you described in the latter half of your comment

Some people choose not to think about the world's problems (such as myself) Does not mean that people like me lack intelligence or that RAdiohead fans must have an IQ of 189, its just what i prefer

Philly you aren't really helping matters, there is no use in baiting anyone.

Well some people would appreciate the music you described in the latter half of your comment

Some people choose not to think about the world's problems (such as myself) Does not mean that people like me lack intelligence or that RAdiohead fans must have an IQ of 189, its just what i prefer

That's your choice, but to find people at fault for thinking about the world's problems is just downright stupid.

To some extent your ignorant of a lot of things, your limiting your emotional range and general life experience with that attitude, and if everyone had the same thoughts, we would truly, world and all be fucked.

I don't know how you can be a U2 fan whos music has been influenced by a hell of lot of world events. If you reply you just like the sound...why can't that apply to Radiohead as well?

That's your choice, but to find people at fault for thinking about the world's problems is just downright stupid.

Well if it came to the crunch people are tribal

Its a case of look after your own first

It ok saying you care about the world, but many dont act upon it

I dont care about the world and do nothing to help strangers, i dont give money to charity and i put my family and friends at a higher importance than the rest of humanity

I think if it came to a crisis situation (which i dont wish to happen), people would chuck their values in the bin

Just look at drop in sales in organic food since the credit crunch

Well if it came to the crunch people are tribal

Its a case of look after your own first

It ok saying you care about the world, but many dont act upon it

I dont care about the world and do nothing to help strangers, i dont give money to charity and i put my family and friends at a higher importance than the rest of humanity

I think if it came to a crisis situation (which i dont wish to happen), people would chuck their values in the bin

Just look at drop in sales in organic food since the credit crunch

Again, it's your choice to be a selfish ass, but why is it that you look down upon those who choose to give a damn?

To some extent your ignorant of a lot of things, your limiting your emotional range and general life experience with that attitude, and if everyone had the same thoughts, we would truly, world and all be fucked.

I don't know how you can be a U2 fan whos music has been influenced by a hell of lot of world events. If you reply you just like the sound...why can't that apply to Radiohead as well?

But U2's tunes provide a light at the end of the tunnel - i see their songs as uplifting. Not the same with Radiohead

and i do not like 100% of U2 songs - some i dont like such as Crumbs on Your Table

But U2's tunes provide a light at the end of the tunnel - i see their songs as uplifting. Not the same with Radiohead

and i do not like 100% of U2 songs - some i dont like such as Crumbs on Your Table

Shocking, considering it's a criticism of those who "deny for others what you demand for yourself."

There is no light at the end of the tunnel in With Or Without You? None in Love is Blindness, Running to Stand Still....and so on. It's all in your own interpretation, tis subjective, and the feelings that are generated by a Radiohead song are different from person to person...people can find light at the end of the tunnel in them, just you can't.

Shocking, considering it's a criticism of those who "deny for others what you demand for yourself."

My needs come first

When i went to India i did not give a single rupee to the beggars

i found them quite annoying

Its not my problem

I was lucky being born in a developed country - coming back from India i realised i hit the jackpot!

My needs come first

When i went to India i did not give a single rupee to the beggars

i found them quite annoying

Its not my problem

I was lucky being born in a developed country - coming back from India i realised i hit the jackpot!

What annoyed you about them?

What annoyed you about them?

They would not take no for an answer

If you ignored them they would say "oh my kids, oh this that and the other"

And one kid tried to put his hand in my brothers pocket so i shoved him out the way

If you walk the streets they follow you for ages - they think just because your from the UK you must be loaded. If you gave a penny to everyone who asked you'd end up on the streets yourself.

When you stop at traffic lights they bang on your windows.

Its not just India - i dont care about homless people in the UK if they are druggies - should have thought otherwise before becoming wasters

no, Oasis is massively overrated..

What the fuck did I miss?

If people are bitching about Radiohead being depressing, I'd love to see their reaction to Joy Division.

And one kid tried to put his hand in my brothers pocket so i shoved him out the way

If you walk the streets they follow you for ages - they think just because your from the UK you must be loaded. If you gave a penny to everyone who asked you'd end up on the streets yourself.

Its not just India - i dont care about homless people in the UK if they are druggies - should have thought otherwise before becoming wasters

Yes, because every poor person got there because they were wasters and druggies. No one had a run of bad luck. None.

You have an IQ of approximately 71.

nevermind.. I ain't gonna say it.. :huh:

erm no i dont think so

Whatever their circumstances are i am not there to help

I am NOT the good samaritan

People have to stop relying on others to bail them out as Maggie Thatcher said

Uh ... what?

How can you possibly label each album as having a "feel?" You're telling me Climbing up the Walls is neutral?

Not only do I think that assessment is wrong, I also think you're generalizing, and I think I can enjoy "feel-bad" music (if that even makes sense) if it's good and it hits you somewhere. But I don't think it makes sense.

To sum up: I disagree strongly with everything you said in that post.

It's not a lyrical thing or a musical thing for me.

The album just seems awkward, like I just hear Dollars and Cents and Morning Bell Part 2 and Life in Glasshouse and Sardines and think oooh....it's not such a beautiful day today is it, that's not to say I hate the songs, just they don't make me go out and wanna enjoy life....

It's personal, the songs might hit me, but don't hit the spot like a good block of chocolate or a good European beer or whatever......

Back
Top Bottom