R.I.P. Alex Chilton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Children by the million sing for Alex Chilton when he comes 'round
They sing "I'm in love. What's that song?
I'm in love with that song."

:(

No.... no..... no.....
:sad:

Big Star was scheduled to play the Levitt Shell here in May. It was gonna be a big deal for the home town. This is crushing on numerous levels.

I'm absolutely heartbroken. Chilton has written some of my all-time favorite songs, and Big Star's music has been a soundtrack to the past year of my life. I had the opportunity to see them in Hyde Park last July, but completely missed the boat on that. Now, it's permanent. His music has made a permanent impact on my own, and (though it makes me seem more Noel Gallagher than Alex Chilton) I am certain I wouldn't have written a number of my songs without their influence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn1t6l7UUPc

R.I.P. :sad:

In case anyone saw this link before it was updated today, Paul Westerberg finally weighed in:

"In my opinion, Alex was the most talented triple threat musician out of Memphis — and that’s saying a ton. His versatility at soulful singing, pop rock songwriting, master of the folk idiom, and his delving into the avant garde, goes without equal. He was also a hell of a guitar player and a great guy."

There aren't a lot of people who regularly post on the site who venture outside of the main U2 portions of the forum.

So, like, relax and stuff.

I had no Big Star albums, so I ordered the #1 Record / Radio City combo disc thing a few days ago.

Alex Chilton had no health insurance. Link

Also, here's a much longer story about him (the article above was culled from this one).

Back
Top Bottom