R.E.M. - upcoming album 'Collapse Into Now' / General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Walk It Back" Video Premiere

Rather meh video....the clips for "Uberlin" and "Alligator" are fun though. "Mine Smells Like Honey" was alright although it fit the song well.

Oh, looks like "Oh My Heart" has also arrived. Very minimalistic, probably my favorite thus far. From a director that has worked magic with R.E.M. in the past.

IFC Premiere: "Oh My Heart"

Well, there's not much to dislike about this record anyway. It's OK. That's the best word I can think of for it. It's an alright record.

For some reason I don't remember Blue. I'll have to go back and listen.

I'd have to break out my guitar for the chords (five people in my house are sleeping, so I can't) but the strumming is exactly the same. And the whole concept of that strumming pattern with a grindy electric guitar sound over it? Yeah.

It should be noted that Country Feedback is a far superior song.

I just can't get over it. I mean, it doesn't sound bad so I can't hate the song, but the whole time it's on I'm just thinking, "WHY??"

So lazy.

Even Shuttlecock at their worst hasn't pulled this kind of bullshit. They just find brand new ways to embarrass themselves.

It's really that blatant. I was wondering why no one could get through a review of the song without mentioning Country Feedback or E-Bow.

Yeah, but how could anyone (and it's not just the people here but on the music websites) even throw out E-Bow by itself? Because the only thing Blue solely has it common with that song is Patti Smith, whereas there is a LOT it shares with CF.

It has to be a deliberate callback to it, between the guitar and the rambly, seemingly spur-of-the-moment lyrics.

Right?

Yeah, at the start of "Blue" you can sing "This flower is scorched, this film is on, on a maddening loop..." over the top and it sounds just about perfect.

Anyway, my take on the album as a whole hasn't changed. I like it. Don't love it. But there are only 2 or 3 songs that don't do anything for me really. Pretty good shizz.

I'm not quite sure if I'm ready to rank songs yet, but damn if Mine Smell Like Money isn't shot through with that classic R.E.E.M. sound. That shit could be on Lifes Rich Pageant (which is celebrating it's 25th birthday this year, incidentally). And it doesn't sound forced like the harder stuff on Accelerate.

Also, DiscoverHerp is definitely doing a little nod to Finest Whoreson.

No, I'm not going to be 'cockifying everything by them from here on out

there are strong echoes of REM's past on this- Uberlin is Drive with a chorus, there's another one that sounds like New Test Leper, Blue is Country Feedback, another (which intentionally) used the same melody as Houston off the last album

I do quite like this album- there's nothing new on it, it's just easy to listen to

It has to be a deliberate callback to it, between the guitar and the rambly, seemingly spur-of-the-moment lyrics.

Right?

Which is why it doesn't bother me, if I see an interview where they talk about Blue calling it a brand-new sound, then I'll get mad at them for ripping off themselves, but I can't see how it isn't an homage to their past as much of the record is. It's for that reason that I really wonder if this will be their last LP.

Today at a Goodwill store I found a program for the Monster Tour...price: $3

FUCK YEAH. Since I was actually at two of those shows (I had like 10th row for the second night), it's nice to finally get this. And I'd actually much rather have the program for this tour than the one from Green, to be honest.

I'll add this to my collection that also contains programs from the Joshua Cock, CockTV, and Poppycock tours. :wave:

Have we figured out what it is of Stipes that smells like honey? Do we even want to know?

Electron Blue is quite good...

But I'd say the last great REM tune is probably "Imitation of Life" ..."Bad Day" is quite solid, too... :hmm:

i love bad day like that song that comes out when you don't have anything by the band fresh in your mind that sounds like it could suddenly appear in your top 5 favorite songs by the band...until you listen to the other 20 songs that would rotate through said list at any given moment. if i'm hearing it, it's absolutely great. i enjoy it immensely. up against other things i'd call great REM songs, it pales in comparison. it's the perfect haven't listened to them in a while reminder of awesomeness that gets winds up getting tossed further and further down the list the more in-depth current listening gets (whether it would cause me to throw on a handful of songs and then go back to whatever my recent musical obsession is, vs. that month or so long rem binge i went on around when this thread was started).

short version: i like bad day. it's a good song to sing along to, particularly while driving. yes, i am that person you drove by singing along like a dork in their car. go ahead, laugh. i have a knife and will stab you slash your tires ... just kidding. :wink:

Very good description of Bad Day.

I've been listening to them a lot myself lately.

I will not be subjecting myself to Around the Sun again, however.

short version: i like bad day. it's a good song to sing along to, particularly while driving. yes, i am that person you drove by singing along like a dork in their car. go ahead, laugh. i have a knife and will stab you slash your tires ... just kidding. :wink:
I actually have a flat tire right now :|

so "discoverer" gets better every time i hear it. i went from being relatively indifferent towards the song, enjoying it in parts and not thinking much of the chorus. now, however, i am really, really digging that song.

Back
Top Bottom