R.E.M. - upcoming album 'Collapse Into Now' / General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always thought they flipped open a dictionary, landed on the abbreviation for Rapid Eye Movement and thought that sounded good.

But it's been a looooooooooong time since I've read any REM bios or anything.

I always thought they flipped open a dictionary, landed on the abbreviation for Rapid Eye Movement and thought that sounded good.

But it's been a looooooooooong time since I've read any REM bios or anything.

That's one story. Another is that someone wrote it on the wall in a old church where they played their 1st show.

I've grown up being told R.E.M. story after R.E.M. story, my mom is an R.E.M. super fan.

Mostly famlies would take a vaction to Disney or whatever, our family took vactions to Athens.

You may have just made a lot of us feel really old, unless your mom just had awesome taste in music.

I'm excited to see how it'll turn out, should be kind of a fun mess which would fit in line with the album. When I clicked the link I was expecting it'd be something we'd see down the road since we haven't heard about it until now, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it's coming with the album on Tuesday!

I like the album. Am not over the moon about it or anything. But there are definitely a handful of tracks that I really dig. I've only had two listens all the way through, though. I'll probably say more later.

Stipe is on Jimmy Fallon tonight. And so is Miley.

Be still my heart.

I like the album very much
the next couple of months will tell how much

it's a bit of a mix of Around the Sun (which I enjoy very much) and the best bits of Accelerate (my least favourite REM album)
but 'warmer'

I think Stipe is still brilliant

I quoted a line from E-Bow the Letter as my status on Facebook a year or so ago, and no one knew what I was talking about. :wink:

Aluminum tastes like fear?

I remember when I first heard that song on the radio, on whatever Milwaukee station was most likely to play new REM.

The DJ was all "Here's REM's new single! I haven't heard it yet!" and then it was done, and he was all "So ..... Hmm. That was REM's new single, I guess."

It took a while to grow on me, but now I love it. It's gorgeous.

"Dreaming of Maria Callas, whoever she is"

I got some sarcastic texts from friends telling me to keep my perverse dreams to myself, so I took the status down. :laugh:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but E-Bow is the last great R.E.M. song. Just about everything in that song works splendidly.

Electron Blue is quite good...

But I'd say the last great REM tune is probably "Imitation of Life" ..."Bad Day" is quite solid, too... :hmm:

"Aftermath" is the only track from the last three albums that I would consider putting in a boxed set of my favorite 100 R.E.M. tracks....I guess I'd go with that as their last outstanding number although pretty much everything on Accelerate is quite good, if not classic.

Back
Top Bottom