R.E.M. - upcoming album 'Collapse Into Now' / General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't feel lucky to hear Lucky.

And I can't say I was surprised when I first heard No Surprises.

i thought i walked into a radiohead thread (or at the very least, the random music thread) and actually had to double check the title here.

Yeah, even though I was a part of it, I want to banish the RH talk, we were just rifting after someone called OK Computer boring.

Thanks for the link, Mr. Mac. Because of you, I've finally given the song a listen. I like Discoverer more, but this is enjoyable as well.

I'm tempted, but I'm thinking that I've already heard far too much, I'm gonna try and hold off on hearing anymore until I can hear the album in sequence.

"Mine Smell Like Honey" is (another) very reminiscent song, but not this time, from Out Of Time. This time it reminded me of something like "Don't Go Back To Rockville" or so...

Out of all the "leaked" songs so far, this one really doesn't do it for me... but the rest have been very enjoyable. I'm only allowing myself one listen each until the album comes out, so I could be jumping the gun with that assesement.

i'm trying to restrict myself to one listen to anything that blatantly appears in this thread, and avoid the rest (which has been the clips trailer, discoverer, and now that) til the album is out.

kind of hate the "mine smell like honey, oh" part, but the dig a hole part, which i guess is the actual chorus is about as awesome as the other part is awkward. pretty sure i liked the song a lot. i'm not as quick to jump to the "it sounds like don't go back to rockville!" comparisons a couple people have made, overall it still sounds pretty much placed after accellerate. i mean that in a good way, though. that album ended up growing on me.

must...not...play again...

Mine Smell Like Honey is the official lead single, though. It's the song the band wants people to hear before they hear the album in full.

I would think, personally, if you're going to listen to any song before the album release, it would be the lead single.

But, whatever blows your hair back.

I'm not really sure why it's the lead single, doesn't do a whole lot for me. I at least liked Discoverer quite a bit on the first few listens, this one didn't do much of anything for me. It's still nice, just not thrilling. I guess that's been REM's problem exactly for a number of years now though, unfortunately. Nice, but not thrilling, songs and albums.

This project had a lot of potential, though I'm getting the feeling there were a lot of ideas cooking and not enough central organization. Of course this is having heard 3 songs and others' reaction to a fourth.

I don't even know why I'm still coming into this thread.

i was trying to avoid it altogether til cd is in hand, i just haven't quite been able to for some reason.

ok, everyone go back to talking about radiohead. then i won't want to be here.

:p

Let Down was a letdown...

JK, that's far and away my favorite RH song.
:up:

Anyway, back to the topic at hand - haven't listened to the new REM tunes too much, but I'd have to say that "Mine Smell Like Honey" is my favorite. Glad it's the first single (not like it's going to take the world by storm either way, but I find it the most immediately accessible - an enjoyable, breezy summer song).

Thanks for the link, Mr. Mac. Because of you, I've finally given the song a listen. I like Discoverer more, but this is enjoyable as well.

You're welcome. :wink:
And yeah, that's my feelings now too. However I've only listened to Mine Like once, right before posting the link (and it's in shitty quality too, so I'll wait to compare it to the other songs.)
It Happened Today is so fuckin' awesome though.

Back
Top Bottom