R.E.M. - upcoming album 'Collapse Into Now' / General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How long after you submitted your e-mail did you receive the song? I've waited an entire... five minutes. I'm getting antsy, though!

Mine actually took a couple of minutes as well, which is weird, because those things are always pretty immediate. So I would say just be patient, because my E-mail eventually showed up.

However, my computer has been an asshole all morning and it's taking forever to download the actual song. I'm getting antsy as well.

Well, my download just flat out didn't work. Something's been fucked up with my computer all day, I wish I knew more about this kind of shit to assess the situation and fix it.

Anyway, they've also finally announced the official release date for the album: March 8th (in the USA, but that's all that anyone really cares about right?)

I'm not sure if I like it more than a handful of my favorite songs from Reveal and Accelerate, but it's good.

This is one of the best R.E.M. tracks since 1996. Only "Living Well Is The Best Revenge", "Supernatural Superserious", "The Lifting", "Outsiders", and "Aftermath" are similar in quality.

Wow. I like it. I think I really like it.

I'm just listening to it now, and I think those are the exact same thoughts that I have at the moment. :up: This bodes well for what's coming.
And I'm not that familiar with R.E.M. to begin with, but I've been wanting to deepen my R.E.M. experience and see them live next tour hopefully. :applaud:

Here is the song for those who are having trouble getting the link from the website,

YouTube - REM - Discoverer - New Song! Free MP3 Link

Pretty great track, definitely added to my excitement for the new album!
The bridge / chorus change at 1:03 is a little typical and boring, but overall I like the track, Amazing how fresh the band still sound, Stipe sounds just like he did on Green and other albums around the mid to late 80's and Buck and Mills really have started to rock more uptempo songs again as seen on Accelerate,

Early days yet but R.E.M have never been a let down for me!
(Yup I even liked Around the Sun)

Finally got the download to work.

Not entirely sure what I think about it after just one listen. Didn't bowl me over. I like the mix of guitar tones, though. And Stipe sounds good.

I don't think I made out a single lyric that he sang, though. And I'm usually pretty good at deciphering lyrics.

Something about "With the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess..."

:heart:

The energy of Accelerate, with more layers to the sound. Hopefully the full album will have strong lyrics. March can't come fast enough!!

It's weirding me out to see people suddenly appear here who actually like Reveal.

It's weirding me out to see people suddenly appear here who actually like Reveal.

I think I liked about 6 or 7 tracks from it but I also like The Beach Boys. I thought Accelerate was boring and Around the Sun like some kind of horrible skin disease or a joke played on the fans from the band. :lol: My favorite REM albums are:

Reckoning
eponymous (greatest hits)
Out of time
Automatic for the people
New Adventures in HI-FI
Reveal

I like it :reject:, for the most part, the only album of theirs I don't really listen to is ATS.

It's definitely near the bottom of their catalog, but like with U2 (not that U2 has ever sunk anywhere near the level of Reveal or ATS :shudder:) I'll take them on an off day over 99% of the mainstream.

I love the Beach Boys, but ...

Reveal is not a good album. But it has 3 or 4 songs that I am really rather fond of.

I agree with this.

After being disappointed with Accelerate (it was good, just somehow disappointing to me), this track got me a little excited. It seems a bit more interesting than Accelerate.

Also, I don't hate Around the Sun; there are a few songs I quite like. I think Reveal is worse.

New Adventures
Lifes Rich Pageant
Automatic
Murmur
Green
Document
Fables
Reckoning
Up
Accelerate
Out of Time
Monster
Reveal

Around the Sun

All I can say about Reveal is that I enjoy the songs "Imitation of Life" and "I've Been High" ("Beachball" is decent and "Fascinating" should not have been a b-side). Around the Sun gave me "Leaving New York" and "Electron Blue."

Accelerate is significantly better and, hopefully, REM has taken some of the energy from that album and pushed it forward. I'm excited about Collapse Into Now :up:

("Beachball" is decent and "Fascinating" should not have been a b-side).

Fascinating wasn't a b-side, it was never released officially by R.E.M.. It was on a different master of Reveal, which was leaked. Although the band allowed one of their fan clubs to offer free downloads of it.

Also, cause I'm bored:

Automatic for the People
Around the Sun
New Adventures In Hi-Fi
Out of Time
Monster
Murmur
Up
Document
Accelerate
Lifes Rich Pageant
Reckoning
Fables of the Reconstruction
Green
Reveal

EDIT: Also, the new song is pretty great.

Hats off for being unique, you must be the only person I've ever seen rank ATS that high.

Probably. Like I said, never will get the hate towards it. Such a beautiful album. And maybe one of the albums I have listened the most in my entire life.

Anyway, I think I finallly completed their official discography in mp3. :hyper: I was missing only a few b-sides, now I found them.

Back
Top Bottom