R.E.M. - upcoming album 'Collapse Into Now' / General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, they may not tour to support each album like U2 does, but they certainly like performing live, and given how well the 2008 tour came off, I had hoped they would continue to carry that energy. I can't see how they're going to get people to pay attention if they just rest on their laurels for this upcoming release. Just my opinion, biased of course by the fact that I'm dying to see them again,

Monster has become sadly underrated; there seemed to be a lot of grumbling when it came it because it wasn't as lush or emotional as Automatic. I think it's easily their most fun album (but still has moving tracks like Let Me In and Strange Currencies), and I personally prefer it to Reckoning, Fables, Green, and Out of Time, and of course those two unforgivable releases from the 00's.

stipe said it was supposed to be fun, and supposed to throw people in rolling stone when it came out. now, i read this a few years after its release, and actually before i'd heard the entire album. but when i did hear it, i took it that way. and i enjoyed it. plus, if nothing else, it has "what's the frequency kenneth" on it. it opens with that song. therefore, it is good.

It has some great songs on it, but to me it always seemed like they were kind of blending in with it other artists more than they did before or after.

But yeah, Let Me In, Frequency, Strange Currencies, Bang and Blame, are incredible songs.

I like Monster a lot. Probably my 2nd favorite post-IRS album of theirs after New Adventures in Hi-Fi. Wait, 3rd. Still, though, I enjoy it whenever I listen to it.

I really like R.E.M. and am happy that this thread exists, both because I will participate and because Scumbo's rage is blunted just a little bit by its existence.

And I spend quality time with PH as well, that cannot be discounted.

They did a kind of promo tour for Out of Time, with radio and TV appearances like Unplugged, but all acoustic. I'm not sure if they did anything for Automatic.

Bill had the anyeurism anyuerism brain thingamabob onstage in Zurich? I think? On the Monster tour. Now he's a farmer or some damn thing.

I loved Monster a lot a lot a lot when it came out and for a few years after, and then I just got tired of it. Some great stuff on it for sure, but I rarely listen to it.

On the one hand, I liked that Accelerate was a back to basics thing, that they sounded more energized than they had in years.

On the other hand, it wasn't as good as I was hoping. It lacked a spark, and came across like "okay, here's our back to basics record, is this good enough?"

No, it wasn't. I do like some of the songs, but I didn't love the record. Points for effort, though.

Wow, I'm in shock! :reject: :wink:

I really liked Accelerate and was fortunate enough to catch them on tour for that album in the Summer of 2008. It rained all night, but they played awesome right through it. I'll be looking forward to hearing new stuff from them in the Spring.

See, the 2008 tour was killer, which is why I'm upset about the rumor of them not touring next year.

I really like R.E.M. and am happy that this thread exists, both because I will participate and because Scumbo's rage is blunted just a little bit by its existence.

And I spend quality time with PH as well, that cannot be discounted.

:hi5:!

Don't worry, I've found other things to rage against. For example, I just finished eating a protein bar. As I finished, I looked at the packaging once again, and realized I'd just swallowed a "Chocolate Nut Burst". I'm now writing a hate mail to Mars Inc. for mental and emotional trauma.

Don't worry, I've found other things to rage against. For example, I just finished eating a protein bar. As I finished, I looked at the packaging once again, and realized I'd just swallowed a "Chocolate Nut Burst". I'm now writing a hate mail to Mars Inc. for mental trauma.

:lol:

Maybe I just haven't been spending a lot of time in this sub forum, but I haven't seen you around much lately.

Don't worry, I've found other things to rage against. For example, I just finished eating a protein bar. As I finished, I looked at the packaging once again, and realized I'd just swallowed a "Chocolate Nut Burst". I'm now writing a hate mail to Mars Inc. for mental and emotional trauma.

CC me!

:)

I think I listened to the live stream of that Austin City Limits show from 2008. It was on NPR. We were in the old R.E.M. thread and a few of us were listening and posting thoughts, etc.

They played Fall On Me, which was dope. But then they played practically every song off of Accelerate, and the show seemed a bit short in all honesty. I wasn't blown away by the set at all, but of course it was just an audio stream.

Here's the full tracklisting for the DVD:

1. Living Well Is The Best Revenge
2. Man-Sized Wreath
3. Drive
4. So. Central Rain
5. Accelerate
6. Fall On Me
7. Hollow Man
8. Electrolite
9. Houston
10. Supernatural Superserious
11. Bad Day
12. Losing My Religion
13. I m Gonna DJ
14. Horse To Water
15. Imitation Of Life
16. Until The Day Is Done
17. Man On The Moon

Amazon.com: R.E.M. - Live From Austin TX: R.e.m., Gary Menotti: Movies & TV

That was a great moment. And Eddie's induction speech was wonderful.

See, that set that Cori posted above? Honestly doesn't do much for me.

R.E.M. setlist bitching.

Shit just got real.

No, but seriously, that's not a very good set.

Yeah, I was going to say Electrolite, So. Central Rain, Fall On Me, and probably Imitation of Life would make me lose my shit if I got that set live.

And probably Losing My Religion, just because.

But other than that? I mean, yeah, I would still have a great time because of those songs and because it's one of my favorite bands, but they could do better. I guess they were just really jazzed about Accelerate. 9 of the 17 songs from the set are from that album.

Back
Top Bottom