R.E.M. - upcoming album 'Collapse Into Now' / General Discussion - Page 44 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #646
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:43 PM
I really like how Oh My Heart answers Houston, so if that makes me corny for liking it, so be it.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #647
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:43 PM
Yes, it does.

Stipe's been getting way too meta and self-referential with his writing, and combined with the flat-out self-stealing it doesn't go down very well. When The Beatles did this, it was clever. This isn't.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #648
ONE
love, blood, life

Yet you loved Sing for the Submarine, the lyrics of which are essentially made up of references to R.E.M. titles? I mean it's a pretty cool song and all (though I dislike the vocals), but your enjoyment of it just seems kind of incongruous with your criticism of Stipe of late.

Unless it was someone else that was talking about that song recently in which case I preemptively apologize, .
Old 03-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #649
Blue Crack Addict

Oh My Heart is also one of the only songs on the album that feels like it comes across with any real sense of sincerity or from a place of artistic truth, misguided though the writing may be.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #650
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
Yet you loved Sing for the Submarine, the lyrics of which are essentially made up of references to R.E.M. titles? I mean it's a pretty cool song and all (though I dislike the vocals), but your enjoyment of it just seems kind of incongruous with your criticism of Stipe of late.

Unless it was someone else that was talking about that song recently in which case I preemptively apologize, .

That was me, I think it's the best song on Accelerate.

I don't have a problem with the device itself, but when it starts getting overused? Then it's a problem. And as I said, the straight-up ripoffs just compound the issue.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #651
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:43 AM
Just completed my 3rd listen of the album. I don't get all the hate, I absolutely love it. It's such a great, well rounded record, showcasing a lot of their strong points. Ok, it's not incredibly original, but I don't feel like they're treading water with this album. Sometimes his self referencing is annoying, yes, but I've never heard a perfect album. Not even by everybody's precious Beatles.

After being let down this past few weeks by both Radiohead and Liam Gallagher, it's great to hear an album by one of my favorite artists that I really like. I respect that some of you don't like it, but to me it really speaks. I'm so sad they aren't touring this album. I missed the Accelerate tour because the nearest show to me was Chicago.. Haven't seen them since 2004. If they take a couple years to record their next album and tour again, it could very well be 2014 before I see them again. TEN YEARS!! AH!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #652
Blue Crack Distributor

I think it's really good. When I finally got to Blue, I just laughed. The fuck is that?

Oh My Heart is okay. I'm probably giving it extra credit because I'm a sucker for a song in waltz time, particularly from REM.

Am happy that I like it upon first listen.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #653
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Oh My Heart is okay. I'm probably giving it extra credit because I'm a sucker for a song in waltz time, particularly from REM.

Waltzing was never my proud.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #654
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:43 PM
I've listened to the album three times now and, while I think that it isn't "bad" album, it's just not very interesting/exciting to me, it doesn't kick into any kind of gear until the last third of the album for me. And REM albums are not usually "growers", so I probably won't be going back to it much, like I do with Accelerate and the 80s/90s albums.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:49 AM   #655
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:43 PM
Here's a video for Alligator, Aviator, Autopilot, Antimatter.

http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/music-vide...ot-antimatter/

Stipey is lookin' old

Damn I just realized 'Collapse Into Now' fulfills the 5 album deal R.E.M. signed with Warner Bros. way back around the time New Adventures came out (1996). It was one of the biggest record contracts in history if I remember right, something like 80 million dollars. I remember thinking at the time, 'No way do they put out five more albums'...but here we are. With the end of the Warner Bros. contract, this really could be their last album I suppose. In some ways I kinda hope it is.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #656
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:43 AM
me, marlon brando is the only song i don't care much for (so far)
i like how Stipe stuck to such a clear simple theme for the album
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #657
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2inUtah View Post
Here's a video for Alligator, Aviator, Autopilot, Antimatter.

Pitchfork: TV
With the end of the Warner Bros. contract, this really could be their last album I suppose. In some ways I kinda hope it is.
If this were their last album, I'd feel that it was a very good and fitting ending to a great career. However, I just want to see them live one more time. An REM concert is just one peg below a U2 concert for me. An entirely different experience, but such a great one. First time I saw them I was drug by my then gf to see them, and I finally "GOT" REM that night. One of the best nights of my life, honestly.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #658
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
If this were their last album, I'd feel that it was a very good and fitting ending to a great career. However, I just want to see them live one more time. An REM concert is just one peg below a U2 concert for me. An entirely different experience, but such a great one. First time I saw them I was drug by my then gf to see them, and I finally "GOT" REM that night. One of the best nights of my life, honestly.
I hear ya, but I wouldn't worry about R.E.M. retiring from touring at this point in their career. Sure, they're not touring this album, but they'll head out again at some point down the road. I don't see the Accelerate tour being their touring swan song.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #659
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Waltzing was never my proud.

You're welcome.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #660
Blue Crack Supplier

I feel like I've seen that before, but I don't remember where.

Anyway, did anyone happen to read the liner notes and notice that the "photography" is by Anton Cockijn? What a waste of that guy's talen--there's like one wide shot of the band where they're tiny figures, and then the medium shot on the cover; both smudged beyond belief. Remember when Stipe used to oversee some cool album design?

This shit makes the Atomic Serve booklet look like the Automatic For The People wooden boxed set (little insider reference there for you megafans).