R.E.M. - upcoming album 'Collapse Into Now' / General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That might be a joke, but I'm missing it, so my apologies.

U2 always plays a good amount of songs from their most recent album, no?

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

And with a catalogue as rich and fucking awesome as R.E.M.'s, it's a bit disappointing to see them do that. Especially when a bunch of those Accelerate songs are so damn short. Like most of them are under 3 minutes. Makes for a short set.

Anyway, that was '08. This is...wait...what year is this?

I'd just swallowed a "Chocolate Nut Burst".

Well, it's not like he gave you much of a choice.

Terrell_Owens_01.jpg

I'm now writing a hate mail to the NFL for mental and emotional trauma.

As well you should.

U2 always plays a good amount of songs from their most recent album, no?

When the tour picked up after Bono's Botched Back Brouhaha, they had dropped several NLOTH songs from the set (they dropped Breathe, NLOTH and Unknown Caller).

So .... no, at least not this time, although with all the new stuff going on, it's easy to argue they're not necessarily touring to promote that album, so yeah. But at first, it was quite a bit of wtf-erry.

But yeah, Let Me In, Frequency, Strange Currencies, Bang and Blame, are incredible songs.

Bang and Blame is maybe the worst thing on there. Verses are boring as fuck. Circus Envy is a much better rocker, ugh that sizzling bass line kills. One also shouldn't forget the Thurston Moore-featuring Crush With Eyeliner, I Took Your Name, and as GAF mentioned, Tongue, with for me is one of their greatest.

When the tour picked up after Bono's Botched Back Brouhaha, they had dropped several NLOTH songs from the set (they dropped Breathe, NLOTH and Unknown Caller).

So .... no, at least not this time, although with all the new stuff going on, it's easy to argue they're not necessarily touring to promote that album, so yeah. But at first, it was quite a bit of wtf-erry.

I still find that a curious statement from our resident Scumbo.

He had to have been referring to this most recent leg of the 360 tour. Because other than that, U2 has always played a bunch of songs from their most recent album.

Anyway, whatever.

All I really wanted to say is that I just don't think that new R.E.M. DVD setlist is all that strong.

Monster is pretty great. And I agree that Bang and Blame is weakest track there, but even then I rarely skip it. Let Me In is one of the band's most powerful songs on top of everything.

I still find that a curious statement from our resident Scumbo.

Why? I thought it was an extremely common complaint here, this is certainly not the first time I've been negative about it. I have no problem with a setlist being mostly from a new album. In fact, I would have expected that to be the case had I been at that show. This is the reason I did not go see them the last time they were here, as I didn't want to hear Around the Sun songs.

Ahh, though I love Stipe as a lyricist a lot of the time, I like Bang and Blame for its music, so sue me. But yes, laz, Circus Envy is great, I knew that there was a song I was leaving out off the top of my head, and that was it.

I got the SXSW and ACL festivals mixed up. The show they did the NPR stream for was SXSW.

I don't know shit about the ACL performance.

Yeah, the SXSW performance was disappointing, but it was at the start of their promo for Accelerate, having not performed regularly for awhile before that, the rest of the year they were great, and while I haven't seen the ACL show, I've heard it was great whatever you might think about the set. But yeah, the sets in general were better on their actual tour stops.

One also shouldn't forget the Thurston Moore-featuring Crush With Eyeliner

Ahh I never realized this. I was a few feet in front of Thurston a few weeks ago at Sonic Youth. He's still great live.

I like Monster. Probably top 6 or 7 REM album for me. It was released the week of my 15th birthday and I remember getting it as a b-day gift from one of my friends. WTFK, Crush with Eyeliner, Let Me In, and Circus Envy are my favorites off the album.

I always liked the line off Circus Envy: "I spelled your name with Oatio's" WTF does that mean? OoooOoooo OOoooooo?

As for PhilsFan only having the albums up to Automatic, I'd say Monster, New Adventures and Up are worth picking up.

I always liked the line off Circus Envy: "I spelled your name with Oatio's"

Me too! It makes me laugh. As does "and drop a load on your head," because apparently I am 12.

I like New Adventures a great deal.

Me too. My 2nd or 3rd fave REM album, depending on what day of the week it is and whether the moon is full or not.

New Adventures is probably my favorite REM album, though that changes all the time. Though it only really shifts between that, Out of Time and Up.

1. Document
2. Automatic
3. Pageant
4. Murmur
5. Hi-Fi
6. Reckoning
7. Out of Time
8. Green
9. Monster
10. Up

That seems about right for a top ten for me.

Out of Time was the first CD I ever purchased. It was brand new at the time too, which makes me feel old.

I will not mention the second CD.

Out of Time was my first CD as well! I asked for a decent boom box for high school graduation, rather than the obligatory gift of luggage, and got it.

So Out of Time was the first cassette I upgraded to CD. In the long-box packaging. Remember those? Good times.

New Adventures is probably my favorite REM album, though that changes all the time. Though it only really shifts between that, Out of Time and Up.

Holy shit, we have the same favorite R.E.M. album (at least some of the time)?

:shocked:

Ahh, though I love Stipe as a lyricist a lot of the time, I like Bang and Blame for its music, so sue me. But yes, laz, Circus Envy is great, I knew that there was a song I was leaving out off the top of my head, and that was it.

I wasn't talking about the lyrics, I meant the melody of the verses and that plodding beat. It's just weak. And it was even worse when they did it again on Bittersweet Me, again maybe the worst song on Hi-Fi that people seem to think it good because of a punchy chorus.

I always liked the line off Circus Envy: "I spelled your name with Oatio's" WTF does that mean? OoooOoooo OOoooooo?

I'm pretty sure "Oatios" is a cereal, though since they're circle-shaped I'm not sure how one would spell someone's name like they could with Alpha Bits.

Sorry to burst the bubble of Stipe mystique on that one.

There are like 5 of us who have Hi-Fi as their favorite, although mine alternates with Lifes Rich Pageant frequently.

I'm talking more about the fact that Lance and I argue about pretty much every thing that isn't Scott Pilgrim. And for what it's worth Lifes Rich Pageant is my favorite IRS R.E.M. album.

Also, you don't have to tear down my enjoyment of Bang and Blame, I understand it isn't a revelation, but I like the mood/groove of it, so sue me.

Automatic, Murmur, Document FTW.

New Adventures would be great with like four songs cut. I also like Up, but it's the same thing there. 8 or 9 good songs per album, but they overstuffed them. Definitely not an issue with the early stuff. Plus, God, those albums sound so cool. Really subtle and atmospheric while still communicating positive vibes.

I dunno, I always seem to like the first half of the IRS era albums way more than the second half.

Murmur is still my favorite.

Me too, but Adventures is probably my favorite of their most recent albums.

I have a difficult time knowing what to do with Automatic for the People. My brain won't let me compare it with the rest of their catalog, as the album was such a huge deal in regards to sales, radio and MTV air time, my high school years, etc. Essentially everyone I knew owned that album, and it's what most people my age probably equate REM to. I've heard most of the singles from it so many times that they've lost any impact they once had, and have almost become cliche. I almost never find myself wanting to listen to it, other than a random "non-single" track here and there, as it's such a weird flood of memories, it's almost difficult to deal with. For some reason I try to talk myself into pretending it doesn't exist. I prefer a number of other REM albums as favorites, but it's easily the one that I know the best and had the most impact on me.

Back
Top Bottom