R.E.M. - upcoming album 'Collapse Into Now' / General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
have heard 3 or 4 of the new songs and (I say this as a fan) none of them sounded very good to me- one that I've forgotten the name of is the "sequel" to Houston from the last album- which was about the best of the bunch

I'm not really in an REM space so perhaps not the best time for them with me

I can't believe they're showing off yet another song, I'm continuing to wait until March.

Na NA NA NA NA, not listening!!!!

Obviously. Just making a droll comment on how long it's been since I or anyone else used sendspace. :)

Guess we need to talk about older R.E.M. then.

Let's put our heads together and start a new country up
Our father's father's father tried, erased the parts he didn't like

Politically-charged tracks are usually obnoxious, boasting cro-magnon sophistication in their philosophy (some of Accelerate falls into this category, incidentally), but Cuyahoga makes me tear up a bit.

R.E.M.'s political songs in the first half of their career were some of the best I've ever heard. Welcome to the Occupation, Flowers of Guatemala, Exhuming McCarthy, Orange Crush, Fall On Me, Cuyahoga, etc.

I think the decline began with Ignoreland, where instead of burying the commentary inside poetry, Stipe became much more literal and overt, and thereby way too obvious. He then appeared to take a break during the joyous Clinton years, only to get reenergized with the election of Dubya. We were then subjected to shit like The Final Straw and Until the Day is Done, which are not only too on-the-nose, but are fucking turgid as actual songs.

One can only hope that Obama will silence that shit for a while.

"An addled republic, a bitter refund!"

Springsteen managed superior social critique on 57 Channels (And Nothing On). The music is kinda nice though.

...what powerhour said...

lalalalalalala

and yet, i keep coming back here. oh, so weak.

I've still never seen them live.

Neither have I.

There were rumors a couple months back that they weren't planning on touring, but I was still holding out hope. Now that Bertis Downs says it, well, fuck. That blows.

Oh, well. I'm loving what we've heard from the album. Uberlin is great.

:sad:

So that rumor from back in October proves true. I hope they'll at least tour sometime not too far down the road, even if it's not an official promo tour. I wonder how well the band is working out lately, it seems like Stipe is always off somewhere else separate from the others.

Nah, that's just cuz they're super busy, I never question the friendships or working reltationships that up U2, from all the rumors during the making of this album Stipe seemed often absent.

Country Feedback is one of those songs that I would very, very much like to see live before I perish.

Some other time then.

Back
Top Bottom