R.E.M. - upcoming album 'Collapse Into Now' / General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't, but are you telling me that I can find all of their b-sides digitally legally, without hunting down every last physical single?

Now, I'm one of these people who thinks REM will never recapture the magic or brilliance of their first three albums, and I haven't even been interested enough to listen to a couple of their recent albums ... but Discoverer is unexpectedly good. Hope the album lives up to it.

CollapseIntoNow.jpg

So this will be the album cover then? I like it.

I'm wondering if that's the final album art, the title kind of collapses into black.

really liking Discoverer. Finally got the mp3 from the email which sounds even better than the youtube clip. Nice to hear it in 320 kbps. I think it works great as the album opener. Can't wait to hear the rest.

Well I'd say all we know is that it has the potential to be a great album opener, not knowing what track 2 sounds like prevents us from knowing if it truly is a strong opener or not. :wink:

It's weirding me out to see people suddenly appear here who actually like Reveal.

I'm one of those! I started listening to REM when Accelerate came out, and now have 6 of their albums. I know a lot of people don't like reveal, but it has about 5 or 6 songs I really really like.

:reject:

Also really liking Discoverer. I love the "slightest bit of finesse" lyric. Sounds very promising and I'm excited for the album!

The nerve of a band putting themselves on their own album cover!!!

It only took R.E.M. 15 tries.

LOL @ Axver and Lifes Rich Pageant & Document not living up to the "brilliance" of Fables.

Well of course I'm going to say that, since Fables is my favourite REM album; the opening trio in particular is magic. They are both good albums, LRP is thoroughly great, but I would never rank either of them ahead of Murmur, Reckoning, or Fables.

It's weirding me out to see people suddenly appear here who actually like Reveal.

yeah, no shit. i like "i'll take the rain," but otherwise i could do without hearing anything else on that album ever again.

Official lyrics to DISCOVERER! (as transcribed by GAF)

Hey baby, this is not a challenge
It just means that I love you
As much as I always said I did

I was wrong
I have been laughable wrong
Sandpaper, paper mache, chalk,
And hung out wet

Oh, the city
And your skin now
Na na na na na na
I didn't have to be afraid
I didn't have to feel so stupid
I can see myself. I can feel...

That just the slightest bit of finesse
Might have made a little less mess
But it was what it was
Let's all get on with it, now!

Dicoverer! Discoverer! Discoverer! Discoverer!
Laughing! Yuck! Discoverer!

Floating across Houston
This is where I am
I see the city rise up tall
The opportunities and possibilities
I have never felt so called
Remember the vodka espresso night of discovery
Remember that? Laughing, discovery
Oh how I look back and reflect
How I felt it
How it set
I don't have to feel so wrong
Now I wake up dreaming saffron, turmeric, and brass

With just the slightest bit of finesse
Might have made a little less mess
But it was what it was
Let's all get on with it, now!

Discoverer!

There was a quote from Stipe recently that suggested that the songs on Collapse Into Now are written from the point of view of the same protagonist, unless I was reading too much into it.

i don't like the chorus too much, but i'll probably get used to it. otherwise, i like it.

i've been one to rag on anything post "New Adventures", but i just went back to "Around The Sun" and wow, it really is a beautiful album. the new single is pretty awesome as well. glad that i'm in an REM kick just in time for their new album.

I like the title track (except for that extended outro). I Wanted to Be Wrong and The Boy in the Well are probably my favorite two on the album.

Songs I like from ATS:

Leaving New York
Electron Blue
The Outsiders
Boy In The Well (especially the live version)
The Ascent of Man

Songs I find boring off of ATS:

Make It All Okay
Final Straw
I Wanted To Be Wrong
High Speed Train
The Worst Joke Ever

Certainly ATS is R.E.M.'s worst album, but it has some decent moments IMO

i like "i wanted to be wrong." i can tolerate leaving ny, electron blue, and...well, ok, everything else kind of sucks.

If you weren't so high on your hippie wacky tabaccy, you'd have realized I was quoting Discoverer.

We drew names among the siblings and step-siblings, and I found out yesterday I'm getting the recent REM DVD (along with It Might Get Loud). Yay!

Back
Top Bottom