R.E.M. "Murmur" Deluxe Edition (Original Recording Remastered)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remasters are great and all, but come on guys, get back on the road or in the studio!

Also, I love the deluxe treatment with rarities and all, but the IRS albums fit with their lo-fi original releases just fine as well. Its like the Ten rerelease some what, the new mix sounds great and all, but I fell in love with the grunge.

I just realized that the incorrect Reckoning tracklisting printed on the back can be found inside the liner notes of the original. It's been a while since I've looked at them, so that didn't look familiar. But that's still kind of a dumb thing to put on the outside of the package, since reissues can sometimes be revisionist and it wouldn't be that odd to assume that they had actually changed the running order. I guess that means that the incorrect tracklisting on LRP will remain when that one comes out.

God, he's cool. Thanks for posting that, it must have slipped past my radar. Get Stipey in there to sing over those 14 tracks and bring on a new album. No rest for the wicked.

No problem. I'm curious to see what sorts of songs they follow up Accelerate with, since it was a fairly big departure from what they'd been doing recently. I'd love to see a new album in 2010. *fingers crossed*

:yes: It would, that was a great song!

I'm not as attached to the live set that came along with Reckoning as I was with the one that came with Murmur. That Toronto concert from Murmur was just heavenly, showing off R.E.M. at their young, crazy best. This one is good, don't get me wrong, just not as hard-hitting as I would've liked to have seen.

I missed that completely. Sounds like its early on in the process, but its starting and that's something. Buck's my new hero for saying he's never read a blog. Also, Johnny Marr should just get it over with and ditch fucking Modest Mouse, there's always room for awesome in R.E.M.

And apparently they only release live recordings from Dublin, as R.E.M. Live was also a show there.

Yeah, more info is written about it than the double album in 1bl00d's link:

As far as self-explanatory titles go, it's tough to beat R.E.M.'s new one: Reckoning Songs From the Olympia. On July 7, the jangle-pop greats will release four songs from 1984's Reckoning recorded at live gigs at Dublin, Ireland's Olympia Theatre in July 2007.

The digital EP is tied into the release of two other 2009 R.E.M. projects: the recent 2CD reissue of Reckoning, which came out last week, and a forthcoming live album. R.E.M. Live at the Olympia, a double-disc set due out this fall, chronicles the band's summer 2007 "working rehearsals" in Dublin, during which the band tested out material for last year's Accelerate.

And, according to a recent Pitchfork interview with guitarist Peter Buck, the band are currently hard at work on their follow-up to Accelerate.

EP tracklist below:

Reckoning Songs From the Olympia:

01 Harborcoat
02 Letter Never Sent
03 Second Guessing
04 Pretty Persuasion

To be entirely honest, he provided next to nothing to Modest Mouse. I think he more or less just came in and played exactly what Issac wrote for him, as I personally can't hear anything that didn't sound like standard Modest Mouse in the last album.

I still think he's supposed to return once they release their new album though, at least I thought I remembered reading that.

I was looking for this thread for a minute before I noticed it on top.

I love that moment on the final chorus of Harborcoat where the guitar part comes in bigger and louder than before, behind Stipe's vocal.

Just wanted to say that.

To be entirely honest, he provided next to nothing to Modest Mouse. I think he more or less just came in and played exactly what Issac wrote for him, as I personally can't hear anything that didn't sound like standard Modest Mouse in the last album.

I still think he's supposed to return once they release their new album though, at least I thought I remembered reading that.

True, but his kind of style just never made any sense in Modest Mouse, not to mention joining them struck me as odd given they're from a whole different generation, but unfortunately he's been a glorified session musician, and we're talking about one of the best songwriter/guitar players of the 80's, move on to something more suiting!!

Back
Top Bottom