R.E.M. "Murmur" Deluxe Edition (Original Recording Remastered) - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #46
New Yorker
 
U2inUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,754
Local Time: 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight7-11 View Post
Just wanted to make sure that you guys know about the Reckoning reissue that's coming out this month. It's scheduled for the 23rd and includes a live show just like Murmur did. It's being advertised on the band's official site as a 25th anniversary edition, so it looks like we'll only get one IRS album per year. I wasn't sure if they would just make a big deal about Murmur and then reissue the others more quickly, the way that U2 started to do after the 20th anniversary edition of The Joshua Tree.
Awesome

I had been wondering if they would remaster the other IRS albums...I am looking forward to Reckoning which I like as much if not more than Murmur.
__________________

__________________
U2inUtah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #47
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,715
Local Time: 07:46 PM
It's coming out this month? YAY!
__________________

__________________
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,278
Local Time: 09:46 PM
I reckon that I'll be buying it.







Oh snap!!!
__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #49
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,960
Local Time: 09:46 PM
Next week?! Sheesh, that came out of nowhere. EDIT: I guess it was announced last month, we are all bad fans.

Amazon has the tracklist to the concert here:

Amazon.com: Reckoning [2 CD Deluxe Edition]: R.E.M.: Music
__________________
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,692
Local Time: 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
we are all bad fans.
no, just you
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,278
Local Time: 09:46 PM
All the R.E.M. album covers from when they were on IRS are awesome. They've all got a weird, mysterious artsy vibe. I think the album covers got less cool when they moved off of IRS.
__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #52
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,960
Local Time: 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
All the R.E.M. album covers from when they were on IRS are awesome. They've all got a weird, mysterious artsy vibe. I think the album covers got less cool when they moved off of IRS.
So did the music.

__________________
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,278
Local Time: 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
So did the music.

It's an interesting idea...that as the album art got less interesting and mysterious, so did the band. I don't know if I necessarily buy into that, I'm just thinking out loud. But, yeah, they definitely switched the style up when they moved labels. Putting the lyrics in the liner notes?!? That was a big deal for Stipe, I'm pretty sure.
__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,278
Local Time: 09:46 PM
Hey, I just noticed that the live tracks on the second disc of the Reckoning package were recorded at the Aragon ballroom. That's in my city, I've seen a dozen shows there. Cool.
__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #55
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,960
Local Time: 09:46 PM
I'm certainly not saying the album covers had anything to do with it, I generally just like the IRS years quite a bit more than what came after it.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,000
Local Time: 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
It's an interesting idea...that as the album art got less interesting and mysterious, so did the band. I don't know if I necessarily buy into that, I'm just thinking out loud. But, yeah, they definitely switched the style up when they moved labels. Putting the lyrics in the liner notes?!? That was a big deal for Stipe, I'm pretty sure.
Green (their major label debut) only had lyrics to one song, World Leader Pretend. If I'm not mistaken, they didn't have the lyrics to all the songs until Reveal (and no, the irony is not lost on me). Some of the special edition sets (I have the ones for Out of Time, Automatic, Monster, Hi-Fi, and Up) had lyric excerpts peppered throughout, but you had to figure out on your own what songs they were from.

I'd agree that the album artwork beginning with Green wasn't as interesting (though the 4 = R thing was kind of cool, if you know what I'm talking about), but it should be noted that a lot of attention was given to those special editions after that point, which are pretty damned creative in terms of the packaging and the interior artwork. If you have the chance to look through any of them, you'd see their visual approach was just as "interesting and mysterious" as ever, with a little humor thrown in.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:31 AM   #57
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Next week?! Sheesh, that came out of nowhere. EDIT: I guess it was announced last month, we are all bad fans.

Amazon has the tracklist to the concert here:

Amazon.com: Reckoning [2 CD Deluxe Edition]: R.E.M.: Music
Can't wait for this! Reckoning's one of my favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I'm certainly not saying the album covers had anything to do with it, I generally just like the IRS years quite a bit more than what came after it.
Same here. I'd say 9 times out of 10 when I put on a record by them, it's one from the IRS years.
__________________
onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #58
Refugee
 
agentorange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Poor Places
Posts: 1,431
Local Time: 03:46 AM
Has anyone picked up the Reckoning reissue yet? I found it today but couldn't bring myself to drop $30 for it. If the packaging is to be trusted, they've changed the original song sequence, but I doubt that happened...
__________________
agentorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:04 AM   #59
War Child
 
greenlight7-11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 616
Local Time: 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Has anyone picked up the Reckoning reissue yet? I found it today but couldn't bring myself to drop $30 for it. If the packaging is to be trusted, they've changed the original song sequence, but I doubt that happened...
I got my copy in the mail yesterday. I ordered it from Tower.com where it's only $17.10 right now. The song sequence is the same. I think the running order on the back of the case is an early one that of course got scrapped. Don't know why they printed that, it's misleading.
__________________
greenlight7-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #60
Refugee
 
agentorange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Poor Places
Posts: 1,431
Local Time: 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight7-11 View Post
I got my copy in the mail yesterday. I ordered it from Tower.com where it's only $17.10 right now. The song sequence is the same. I think the running order on the back of the case is an early one that of course got scrapped. Don't know why they printed that, it's misleading.
Cool, thanks for the clarification. Let us know how it sounds!
__________________

__________________
agentorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
r.e.m., rem

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com