R.E.M. "Murmur" Deluxe Edition (Original Recording Remastered)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I came to say that there are a large amount of fantastic songs on Murmur.

Have a nice day.

Wow, that had me laughing, u2pm. Talk about the passion you have for this album. I may have to make a pilgrimage to find the deluxe edition. Perhaps if we walk or catapult over to graywhale or some other indie music store they might have it. I'm just tired sitting still and shaking through the poor sound quality of my old copy. I can't wait until I have that perfect circle of remastered R.E.M. in my possession. I will have no reason to listen to the free radio anymore.:wink:

Wow, that had me laughing, u2pm. Talk about the passion you have for this album. I may have to make a pilgrimage to find the deluxe edition. Perhaps if we walk or catapult over to graywhale or some other indie music store they might have it. I'm just tired sitting still and shaking through the poor sound quality of my old copy. I can't wait until I have that perfect circle of remastered R.E.M. in my possession. I will have no reason to listen to the free radio anymore.:wink:

Post of the week for me. I shudder to think how long that may or may not have taken you though.

UiU b crazaaaay.

I still don't have the fancy deluxe version, because it's been $30 every time I've seen it somewhere, but I figured this thread was as good as any to let everyone know that Murmur is good.

Post of the week for me. I shudder to think how long that may or may not have taken you though.

Ha ha thanks, probably ten minutes...I couldn't figure how to fit Moral Kiosk or West of The Fields into it. I was really just going to say "Talk About the passion", but then I thought I'd add a few more.

Just a note that Best Buy has a sale this week on several 2 disc special editions, and Murmur is one of them. It's only $14.99. That is an absolute steal.

Some other good choices available too for the same price, like Under A Blood Red Sky, War, JT, Electric Ladyland, Odelay, Who's Next, etc. You won't find a better price than this.

Just a note that Best Buy has a sale this week on several 2 disc special editions, and Murmur is one of them. It's only $14.99. That is an absolute steal.

Some other good choices available too for the same price, like Under A Blood Red Sky, War, JT, Electric Ladyland, Odelay, Who's Next, etc. You won't find a better price than this.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll know where I'll be visiting this evening. :cool:

No, an absolute steal is when I DOWNLOAD THAT SHIT.

Right, Scumbo?

Just a note that Best Buy has a sale this week on several 2 disc special editions, and Murmur is one of them. It's only $14.99.

:hyper: Thank you, thank you, thank you. I've been gnashing my teeth over this one and the $30 tag for a while. It's about time to update the old cassette...

I listened to the second disc - Live in Toronto, 1983 - yesterday. It is awesome. :up:

Same here. I was even listening to it on my crappy work headphones, and it still sounded great. :up:

Just wanted to make sure that you guys know about the Reckoning reissue that's coming out this month. It's scheduled for the 23rd and includes a live show just like Murmur did. It's being advertised on the band's official site as a 25th anniversary edition, so it looks like we'll only get one IRS album per year. I wasn't sure if they would just make a big deal about Murmur and then reissue the others more quickly, the way that U2 started to do after the 20th anniversary edition of The Joshua Tree.

Just wanted to make sure that you guys know about the Reckoning reissue that's coming out this month. It's scheduled for the 23rd and includes a live show just like Murmur did. It's being advertised on the band's official site as a 25th anniversary edition, so it looks like we'll only get one IRS album per year. I wasn't sure if they would just make a big deal about Murmur and then reissue the others more quickly, the way that U2 started to do after the 20th anniversary edition of The Joshua Tree.

Awesome:up::up::up:

I had been wondering if they would remaster the other IRS albums...I am looking forward to Reckoning which I like as much if not more than Murmur.

All the R.E.M. album covers from when they were on IRS are awesome. They've all got a weird, mysterious artsy vibe. I think the album covers got less cool when they moved off of IRS.

So did the music.

:reject:

It's an interesting idea...that as the album art got less interesting and mysterious, so did the band. I don't know if I necessarily buy into that, I'm just thinking out loud. But, yeah, they definitely switched the style up when they moved labels. Putting the lyrics in the liner notes?!? That was a big deal for Stipe, I'm pretty sure.

Hey, I just noticed that the live tracks on the second disc of the Reckoning package were recorded at the Aragon ballroom. That's in my city, I've seen a dozen shows there. Cool.

I'm certainly not saying the album covers had anything to do with it, I generally just like the IRS years quite a bit more than what came after it.

It's an interesting idea...that as the album art got less interesting and mysterious, so did the band. I don't know if I necessarily buy into that, I'm just thinking out loud. But, yeah, they definitely switched the style up when they moved labels. Putting the lyrics in the liner notes?!? That was a big deal for Stipe, I'm pretty sure.

Green (their major label debut) only had lyrics to one song, World Leader Pretend. If I'm not mistaken, they didn't have the lyrics to all the songs until Reveal (and no, the irony is not lost on me). Some of the special edition sets (I have the ones for Out of Time, Automatic, Monster, Hi-Fi, and Up) had lyric excerpts peppered throughout, but you had to figure out on your own what songs they were from.

I'd agree that the album artwork beginning with Green wasn't as interesting (though the 4 = R thing was kind of cool, if you know what I'm talking about), but it should be noted that a lot of attention was given to those special editions after that point, which are pretty damned creative in terms of the packaging and the interior artwork. If you have the chance to look through any of them, you'd see their visual approach was just as "interesting and mysterious" as ever, with a little humor thrown in.

Next week?! Sheesh, that came out of nowhere. EDIT: I guess it was announced last month, we are all bad fans.

Amazon has the tracklist to the concert here:

Amazon.com: Reckoning [2 CD Deluxe Edition]: R.E.M.: Music

:drool: Can't wait for this! Reckoning's one of my favorites.

I'm certainly not saying the album covers had anything to do with it, I generally just like the IRS years quite a bit more than what came after it.

:up: Same here. I'd say 9 times out of 10 when I put on a record by them, it's one from the IRS years.

Has anyone picked up the Reckoning reissue yet? I found it today but couldn't bring myself to drop $30 for it. If the packaging is to be trusted, they've changed the original song sequence, but I doubt that happened...

Has anyone picked up the Reckoning reissue yet? I found it today but couldn't bring myself to drop $30 for it. If the packaging is to be trusted, they've changed the original song sequence, but I doubt that happened...
I got my copy in the mail yesterday. I ordered it from Tower.com where it's only $17.10 right now. The song sequence is the same. I think the running order on the back of the case is an early one that of course got scrapped. Don't know why they printed that, it's misleading.

I got my copy in the mail yesterday. I ordered it from Tower.com where it's only $17.10 right now. The song sequence is the same. I think the running order on the back of the case is an early one that of course got scrapped. Don't know why they printed that, it's misleading.

Cool, thanks for the clarification. Let us know how it sounds! :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom