R.E.M. have broken up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
'Up' turns 13 today (Released Oct 26, 1998).

310207_10150366461917080_520167079_8290917_1614727007_n.jpg

Probably R.E.M.'s most underrated album.

i sang some pretty godawful karaoke tonight with some friends at a shithole bar in a nearby town. what's the frequency kenneth because they didn't have it's the end of the world...yeah, it was awesome.

Up was never one of my favorite REM albums, but I will always love it because my best REM concert experience (i.e., 8th row center, the only time I've been close to the stage) was when they were touring for that album.

Goddamn, that was a great concert. Saw it with an old friend who had gotten me into the band back in the 80s. She'd gotten the tickets through the fan club, and we got ridiculously excited as we walked closer and closer up the rows and realized how close we were.

Everyone around us was all "damn, you only paid $45? We paid $200 through scalpers for these seats." EAT IT, SUCKERS.

I had the same situation (my friend got cheap tix from a scalper the day of the show), except I was in the first 10-15 rows for the Monster tour.

:wave:

'Up' turns 13 today (Released Oct 26, 1998).

310207_10150366461917080_520167079_8290917_1614727007_n.jpg

Probably R.E.M.'s most underrated album.

I love "Up". Even though there are a lot of filler songs that I skip, the ones I like far outweigh the ones I don't.

'Falls To Climb'
'Sad Professor'
'Airportman'
'Hope'
'Lotus'
'Suspicion'
'Walk Unafraid'
'The Apologist'
and even 'Daysleeper' isn't so bad, even if it is R.E.M.-by-the-numbers

Also, are people blinded by the Patti Smith/Boner connection to Walk Unafraid? It's a fairly rote mid-tempo blah-rock song that's cut from the same cloth as Bang & Blame and Bittersweet Me, esp. on those narcoleptic verses.

Probably one of my two least-favorite on Up.

i don't know what's being connected to what regarding walk unafraid, so i can't imagine that's what i like about the song. but i will give you why not smile, because it is good. LM is right, too, though. eh, i just really like that album.

^. and i'd give daysleeper a bit more credit than by-the-numbers.

i am not a huge fan of hope. i think it's the word hope, really. too many positive connotations and such.

:wink:

nah, really, not that big on the song though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpwd1YLgDaM

I really like this. I'm taking it as it being footage of her listening to the song for the first time. Maybe they know she's a big fan, (I'm sure Stipe knows her somehow through his Hollywood dealings), and they were like "Here's R.E.M.'s last ever single, it's about three and a half minutes, we want to film you as you listen to it."

I don't know if that's actually the case, but that's how I'm going to look at it. Because I think that's pretty damn cool.

iron yuppie said:
At My Most Beautiful is a gorgeous song.

Who know Stipe could write a really excellent, direct love song? Be Mine is one (although it falls back on some rather bizarre imagery), but they're few and far between in the REM discography, and that one is perfect.

You always listen carefully
To awkward rhymes
You always say your name
Like I wouldn't know it's you
At your most beautiful

:heart:

ok, that's not the greatest song ever, but it's not nearly as awful as whoever that was a page or so ago was freaking out about.

she looked incredibly uncomfortable for that entire video.

If you think At My Most Beautiful is filler, you're filler. :grumpy:

I don't think it's filler. It's just not one of my favorites. The others I listed, I like those songs more. But I do like AMMB.

^. and i'd give daysleeper a bit more credit than by-the-numbers.

I'm going to stick by my guns on this one and say that, musically, I don't think it's anything special or delved into any area they hadn't already explored before many times, successfully. However, I will say that I do really like 'Daysleeper's lyrics.

I find a curious coincidence in the occurance of, arguably, the last good (not great, good) REM and U2 albums within a twelve month period in 1997/98. Something in the air, in those cold blooded late nineties.

I find a curious coincidence in the occurance of, arguably, the last good (not great, good) REM and U2 albums within a twelve month period in 1997/98. Something in the air, in those cold blooded late nineties.

Shortly after that was when bands like Interpol, Franz ferdinand, took over :p

And then after that they were taken over by the Black Keys and the Arcade fire

And then Bloc Party and Kasabian

and then...

Shortly after that was when bands like Interpol, Franz ferdinand, took over :p

And then after that they were taken over by the Black Keys and the Arcade fire

And then Bloc Party and Kasabian

and then...

I don't know. This is some interesting revisionist history.

When have Kasabian ever taken over anything? They have niche popularity. You ask 100 casual music fans who Kasabian are and you'd get maybe 3 or 4 people that could name even one song.

None of those bands you've listed have become huge crossover acts. Franz Ferdinand is probably the closest, but people would recognize "Take Me Out" and that's about it. They haven't had a hit in years. And even when Arcade Fire won that Grammy, people still didn't know who they were.

kasabian...that's the guy from the second chronicles of narnia book, right? :wink:

No, the truer answer is that right then is when Radiohead surfaced.

In this picture Franz Ferdinand are like the uncle who plays the spoons at weddings.

Ok. Thanks.

But at a pinch, they 'arrived' with OK Computer. It was possible to be mostly unaware of them before then, or to be aware (Creep) and write them off. I was, for example.

I still haven't heard that "new song" they released / are releasing with the new "best of". Not sure if I want to, people seem to not be very positive about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom