R.E.M. have broken up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But it's got a view of the Manhattan Skyline, so it all evens out. I had a pass for the Continental Presidents' Lounge, so I'm chillin' all fancy and shit.

Rad. My flight to Dublin was 1st class, and I stayed up for the whole thing. Cashews, not-crappy movies, warm towels, and ice cream that had the fudge on the bottom so you could control its distribution.

In comparison, my flight to London a week later was like being shoved into a tin can (still full of God knows what) and shot with a rubber band onto a target somewhere in England. Fuuuuck.

u2popmofo said:
There's no way it's that high.

i think there's a chance that maoil really is that high. can't imagine anyone would keep posting that rap without being on an insane amount of drugs. oh wait, that's not what you meant. no, definitely not that high.

In comparison, my flight to London a week later was like being shoved into a tin can (still full of God knows what) and shot with a rubber band onto a target somewhere in England. Fuuuuck.

Did you fly Ryan Air, by any chance?

Also, glad to have you back, Cori.

A couple of songs Stipe did without the band while the band was still around

1 giant leap - the way you dream / god/unity (michael stipe, tim booth, asha bhosle) - YouTube

1 Giant Leap - I Have Seen Trouble [Feat. Aluta & Michael Stipe] - YouTube

As tired, and worn down Stipe might have sounded (his vocals are really straining), there was still a quality to his voice in those songs, and both those songs were better than anything R.E.M put out since 2000

You would think with this split the band and the members is pretty much finished (ie no solo/ side projects)

What about the post-IRS era (which is the one I'm more curious about)?
A few individual demo tracks from those years have been released officially, but no groups of songs like those found in the FOTR and LRP anniversary reissues. Demos from Green and Out Of Time and a handful of songs from Up are floating around in bootleg land.

i didn't read the blurbs yet, so i don't know what their arguements are (and we'll be honest--i probably won't). putting fables above hi-fi is just kind of wrong. it is my instinct to want to argue and complain that it's just someone who spent far too much time listening to the LRP remaster recently after having never really discovered the awesomeness of it years ago. because in that light, the album in question always sounds like the band's best work. and because i like to argue. as much as i like that album, i'll take their 2, 3, and 7 picks, probably plus up, above it on my own rankings list.

I mostly feel the same way in preferring IRS over Warner Brothers, but after giving Fables a very close look thanks to the remaster, I'm of the opinion that it's definitely a step below the rest of the IRS releases, so Automatic For The People is certainly better.

Also, Accelerate kicks the shit out of Green, Out Of Time and Monster.

i've just never been a huge fan of fables.

but the only asses accelerate can possibly come close to kicking are around the sun and reveal.

I stopped reading when Automatic was listed 9th. Nearly stopped reading when Green made the list.

some world of warcraft npcs...

WoWScrnShot_110310_234612.jpg

The IRS albums do deserve a lot of love, but I would still rank OoT, Automatic, Monster and NAIHF ahead of Fables, and maybe Automatic and NAIHF ahead of Document.

Of course the early 90's albums are the one's I grew up on, so they rank higher for me personally.

I'll applaud any list that puts LRP, Murmur, and Document at #1 ,2, and 3 (even if those aren't all my placements), but I definitely have some issues with the rest of it, especially the I.R.S./WB division mentioned above.

And it's a shame that Up wasn't given some consideration. It's certainly better than Green and Fables, and arguably a couple more on that list.

I laughed a little when I saw Automatic at #9 just because I could imagine people getting pissy, especially with Out of Time ranked right above it.

Nice to see the Monster love. Unlike Accelerate, it's badass without sacrificing the depth, and you know, it has Tongue.

the way i'm going to look at it is clearly there's something wrong with a list when i agree with laz more than that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom