R.E.M. have broken up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With REM choosing to discontinue it just highlights the inevitable. We all get old. All the Generation X bands that we grew up with are now heading to their senior years. Some of them are still putting out good music and some of them are electing to retire. If you're an REM fan, their legacy will live on forever. It also helps that they'll be releasing another greatest hits album with a couple of new songs added. I don't think it's fair to compare REM to U2. They went about things differently. Both in their approach to music and how they went about presenting that music. Now that REM are through, it should allow REM fans an opportunity to reflect on their career. The ups and the downs. A lot of folks have said that the band went downhill when Bill Berry left. If the 3 other guys wanted to continue to make music, why should they have broken up then? Up wasn't such a bad album. I thought Reveal was decent too. Accelerate was probably their best after Bill left.

I was depressed by the news, but not surprised. R.E.M. had been my favorite band since 1991 (followed closely by U2). But when they decided not to tour behind "Collapse Into Now" and refused to do any performances at all to promote the album, I sensed they were not interested in being a band anymore.
I think a lot of it has to do with (as someone pointed out earlier) the lack of physical proximity. While the members of U2 still live near each other and even spend vacations together, R.E.M. has been a long-distance band since Peter moved to Seattle in the early 1990s. Mike has a house in L.A. and Michael now lives full-time in New York City. They all have their own lives and interests and rarely see each other. The definition of a band is a group of people gathered in the same place who play music together. R.E.M. has rarely met that description in a long time.
That being said, when they did come together to make an album, they did do some good work. There isn't an R.E.M. album -- even the ones that some people consider failures -- that doesn't have at least a few great songs on it. I have their entire catalog, plus all the videos and dozens of bootlegs, and I take solace in the fact that I will be able to enjoy their music for the rest of my life.
I was fortunate enough to see them in concert nine times. But I did not have a good experience at the last show (in Atlanta in 2008), and I really hoped to see them play live one more time, so I wouldn't be left with that negative memory.
I wish Peter, Mike, Bill and Michael all the best in whatever they decide to do in the future, and I'm very, very grateful for how much they have enriched my life over the past two decades.

Oh, and if I see one more article about their breakup that includes the phrase "it's the end of R.E.M. as we know it," I'm gonna scream.

My favorite R.E.M. song (and I doubt that anyone else will pick this one) is "Feeling Gravitys Pull."

I'm not one to believe that a band's legacy is harmed if they go on for too long. Sure, their catalog would have been much tighter had they resigned right when Mr. Berry was physically forced to, but then we wouldn't have "At My Most Beautiful", "Imitation of Life" or Accelerate. R.E.M. will always be the greatest indie act of all time when you consider that indie doesn't really exist anymore what with instant internet exposure and songs in television commercials/films. My favorite side of this band (and let's be honest, they covered a lot of territory in their thirty years) would still have to be that early phase when it felt like four young men had been trapped in the woods for nearly a century and emerged with songs like "Harborcoat" that were full of such creativity musically, and shrouded in mystery lyrically, that I'm still blown away every time I hear any of it.

My only final hope is that this last Best Of does their career justice. I imagine a two disc set would suffice, but most of the first disc should include their groundbreaking 80s period and they should probably go light on the latter era. I hope all the best for them in retirement and the great beyond.

MrPryck2U said:
I thought Reveal was decent too. Accelerate was probably their best after Bill left.

and to think how many of us wouldn't have made it through that paragraph if you'd started with those two statements. shrewd, sir.

Late to the funeral, but I really like "Collapse Into Now" . . . a lot. For my money, it was their best since "Up". (However, take my statement with a grain of salt, as I have not ever heard "Accelerate", though I've heard it's really good too.)

The news yesterday made me sad, but I appreciate that they knew when it was time to say farewell and that (to me) they went out with a really great album. That makes me happy. :)

She's in Ireland, R.E.M. broke up, and she always said she was a lightweight...I think we have reason for concern.

my top 10 REM tracks

Drive- still remember the first time I heard it on the radio- dashed out from work during a "tea break" to buy the single
Orange Crush
Fall on Me
Let me In- underrated track from Monster- about Kurt Cobain
Swan Swan H
It's the end of the world as we know it
Parrakeet
Leave
The One I love
Square Circle

there are so mnay great songs to choose from

in terms of albums- Monster, Hi-Fi, Green, Document, Lifes Rich Paegant

Sorry, but I have to completely agree . . . with Crashed. The Cure have been dead to me for years and years now. Such a shame; they were once really good.

I feel like they've always had something good to add on every album they've released since the 80s. And fuck, I truly believe Bloodflowers is one of their best albums, and I definitely don't hate 4:13 Dream either.

I feel like they've always had something good to add on every album they've released since the 80s. And fuck, I truly believe Bloodflowers is one of their best albums, and I definitely don't hate 4:13 Dream either.

I'm not a 4:13 Dream fan aside from the opening track, but I've liked every other album they've done a great deal. I think most people who say they're, "done" or "dead", likely haven't actually listened to anything other than the band's singles. There's really no denying your feelings about Bloodflowers, it's an undeniable fact. Whatevs, different strokes and such I suppose. The Cure still brings bigger crowds to their shows than most contemporary "big" bands, so whatevs.

If Robert (because, let's face it, Bloodflowers and The Top prove that The Cure's fate hinges on Robert alone) retires the group before I can see half as great a Cure gig as this, I'll be pissed.

LOL @ U2 taking cues from bands disinterested in touring and/or breaking up. Or even making full albums, like the other R band.

Seriously... What does this have to do with anything?

There's really no denying your feelings about Bloodflowers, it's an undeniable fact. Whatevs, different strokes and such I suppose. The Cure still brings bigger crowds to their shows than most contemporary "big" bands, so whatevs.

While I enjoy Bloodflowers, I would certainly not call it one of The Cure's best albums. It's a solid effort, but nowhere near the league of the 80s work, in my opinion at least. The comment about Depeche Mode making the same song over and over again is the one that seemed most unfounded to me. Their last three studio albums have been incredibly varied - all three of them quite strong as well, Playing the Angel perhaps even brilliant.

As for R.E.M., I personally find it refreshing that they decided to end gracefully and on their own terms. Their influence on indie culture is incalculable, and they have never done anything to compromise it, I think.

I read somewhere else that 'mystique' is non-existent in the download age
and this is troubling. A band like REM really used mystique to their advantage.

David Bowie is a music legend, but the kids of today will not know the first thing about him

Bowie is actually 'lucky' the internet is around so there are fan sites on the internet there to keep the torch burning, remind everyone what a legend he was once

Only a curious kid would be inquisitive enough to wonder who David Bowie is/ was. I can relate to being inquisitive: being a 90s kid who was part of the CD and grunge age, I feel like such a weirdo to enquire on the 80s in the form of Echo and the Bunnymen, New Order and the Smiths, the only downside of that is it makes you disassociate from things which make people believe you have psychosis or some crap like that

Anyway I think Radiohead threw the idea of mystique into the trash bin, they believe that the music business takes care of itself but the most important thing is to keep making good music. People have been misled into believing there is some mythology associated with everything.

^ If you want that, go watch a tv series... A good one :hmm:

While I enjoy Bloodflowers, I would certainly not call it one of The Cure's best albums. It's a solid effort, but nowhere near the league of the 80s work, in my opinion at least. The comment about Depeche Mode making the same song over and over again is the one that seemed most unfounded to me. Their last three studio albums have been incredibly varied - all three of them quite strong as well, Playing the Angel perhaps even brilliant.

As for R.E.M., I personally find it refreshing that they decided to end gracefully and on their own terms. Their influence on indie culture is incalculable, and they have never done anything to compromise it, I think.

If you look at R.E.M in many ways they are the Tom Hanks of music, they have sold so many records (like how Tom Hanks has grossed so much as an actor for his films), yet the band does not have the so-called elements required to make it big in the business, ie style and looks. The same applies with Tom Hanks. To Tom Hanks it was always about the movies he made, and to R.E.M it was definitely about the music

Anyway I would have liked to have seen R.E.M live, along with Depeche Mode, but I guess we cant have everything in life

There's always the concert DVDs ...

With regards to compromise, the idea of making R.E.M music just fell by the wayside as new sounds were discovered and the idea of R.E.M (heavy lyrics, interesting arrangements back in the day) became old hat, at least it was to me. For one the idea of R.E.M writing all that heavy stuff is wouldnt they get tired of it all after a certain amount of time?
Heavy music will still and always exist forever more, let someone else shoulder the burden, I guess. ie theres stuff like 'Liberation' by Outkast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom