R.E.M. have broken up - Page 55 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #811
The Male

Local Time: 04:05 AM
Hi-Fi could lose Wake Up Bomb, Departure, Zither, Bittersweet Me and Binky and I wouldn't notice or care. Two weak rockers that pale next to Kenneth, two songs that sound like replications of better songs on the same album, and one throwaway instrumental. 65 minutes is almost always too long anyhow. I'll go to bat for E Bow, Leave and New Test Leper any day, but to say there aren't any "clunkers" on Hi-Fi is to ignore how much material simply isn't anything to write home about.

Automatic also has perhaps the finest closing duo (hell, trio) I could name. The album is perfect for 15 minutes straight.

Now.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:32 AM   #812
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 06:05 AM
Monster sold well, but I don't remember much of anyone I knew who were REM fans actually liking the damn thing (whereas I remember quite a few of my friends who were REM fans being relieved by how much they liked HiFi). In the late '90's / early 2000's, every used CD store I visited seemed to have 20+ copies of Monster on hand at all times. I remember it was one of those CDs you could get considerably cheaper than other albums, because everyone was constantly trying to return it.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:18 AM   #813
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Hi-Fi could lose Wake Up Bomb, Departure, Zither, Bittersweet Me and Binky and I wouldn't notice or care. Two weak rockers that pale next to Kenneth, two songs that sound like replications of better songs on the same album, and one throwaway instrumental. 65 minutes is almost always too long anyhow. I'll go to bat for E Bow, Leave and New Test Leper any day, but to say there aren't any "clunkers" on Hi-Fi is to ignore how much material simply isn't anything to write home about.

Automatic also has perhaps the finest closing duo (hell, trio) I could name. The album is perfect for 15 minutes straight.

None of those Hi-Fi songs you mentioned are anywhere near as bad as Ignoreland.

I've really grown to like Binky the Doormat and don't see what other song it sounds like. Zither is a diversion and don't know why it should be cut on an eclectic album about travel and movement

Bittersweet Me is definitely a waste of time though.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #814
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Hi-Fi could lose Wake Up Bomb, Departure, Zither, Bittersweet Me and Binky and I wouldn't notice or care. Two weak rockers that pale next to Kenneth, two songs that sound like replications of better songs on the same album, and one throwaway instrumental. 65 minutes is almost always too long anyhow.
I think even Stipe alluded to this during an Accelerate interview how the 90's became a time when artists were putting out really long bloated albums just because the format allowed it, and how they fell victim to this trend as well.

I pretty much agree with your take on Hi-Fi, it would probably be one of my favorites except that it had too many songs that I skip. I really like Wake Up but it doesn't fit, just sounds like a Monster left over. I can bare Bettersweet Me, but the others I can't even force myself to listen to anymore.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #815
Refugee

Local Time: 12:05 PM
I like Bittersweet Me and Wake Up Bomb, but will admit they do sound like Monster leftovers. Though if someone talks smack about So Fast So Numb, I will fight them.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #816
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:05 PM
I love Wake Up Bomb.

That whole album is their best post-IRS one by far. It is a bit too long, but I honestly am not sure what exactly I would cut.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #817
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:05 AM

I loved HiFi. Plenty of good tracks on there. How the West Was Won, E-Bow, Undertow, Leave, Bittersweet Me and Wake Up Bomb to a name a bunch. I liked this album better than Up.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #818
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo
Monster sold well, but I don't remember much of anyone I knew who were REM fans actually liking the damn thing (whereas I remember quite a few of my friends who were REM fans being relieved by how much they liked HiFi). In the late '90's / early 2000's, every used CD store I visited seemed to have 20+ copies of Monster on hand at all times. I remember it was one of those CDs you could get considerably cheaper than other albums, because everyone was constantly trying to return it.
I remember EP (more flashbacks!) posting some list of statisticallly most often returned albums, or most likely to find in a bargin bin, and monster being quite high on the list. I never had a problem with it.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #819
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap
I love Wake Up Bomb.
Me too. And bittersweet me. I like both of them a lot.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:55 PM   #820
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I have very fond memories of Monster, and will stand by Kenneth, Strange Currencies, and Bang & Blame as great songs.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #821
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:05 AM
'Let Me In'
Old 09-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #822
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:05 AM
'Binky the Doormat' is in my top 3 favorite on Hi-Fi, along with 'Undertow' and 'E-bow', but I enjoy every song on the album, with maybe Departure being my least favorite, (despite it mentioning Salt Lake City )

Edit: Some nice Mike Mills harmonies on 'Departure' though.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #823
Blue Crack Distributor

Wake Up Bomb is kick-ass.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #824
Blue Crack Supplier

Go practice your T-Rex moves, Cori.

(I now think of a little arm dance when I hear that line)
Old 09-01-2012, 03:02 AM   #825
Blue Crack Supplier

A hilariously bad video of me singing wtfk at a shithole bar with karaoke on Tuesday nights exists, although I cannot remember who has it on their phone. Some kid from work. It was remarkably in tune given the fact that I cannot sing, but imagine the most uncomfortable-on-stage person you've ever seen try to sing and multiple that by about 20.