R.E.M. have broken up - Page 52 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #766
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:34 AM
I want a time machine.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #767
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:34 AM
Everyone that knows you wants you to find the fucking time machine already.

That being said....I saw REM in 1987, I believe, but, yeah, seeing them even earlier than that would have been nice.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #768
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:34 PM
Found my old Eponymous CD today and put it in for kicks. I quickly became very sad that I'll never get the chance to see them live again. Even on the off chance they do play again someday, they will most likely not come anywhere near Ohio. IRS years R.E.M. is my favorite era by far, but I like them pretty much all the way through. Great band, so sad.

U2 and REM were always considered peers to a certain extent. I think the late 90s is where their courses parted ways. Both bands experienced a decline in popularity in the late 90s. U2 did what everybody wanted them to do and made ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and caught a 2nd wind and cemented their legacy forever. REM did not pander to the masses, and instead made Up, Reveal and Around the Sun. I personally like those albums, but can understand why they didn't tear up the radiowaves. By the time REM did their "return to form" album with Accelerate, it was too late. Also, Stipe's homosexuality and Bill Berry's departure played a huge role in their decline in popularity.

I have to think though that if U2 had continued down the road they were headed with Zooropa, Passengers and Pop, we'd have gotten some great and interesting music, but they would've faded into obscurity and eventually broken up due to there being no point in staying together.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:29 AM   #769
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
Also, Stipe's homosexuality and Bill Berry's departure played a huge role in their decline in popularity.
The general public (the difference in the band being popular and super popular) probably didn't give a shit about Bill Berry being there (though I remember it being said that he was responsible for making sure most of their songs had memorable hooks), and Stipe always came off like a strange, artsy guy. Like in...EVERY SINGLE MUSIC VIDEO THEY DID. After seeing the Shiny Happy People video, I'm guessing most assumed he was gay anyway. The point is, his coming out (which was very gradual and not very public) likely didn't have much of an affect.

They declined in popularity because they were trying different things, and not following the formula that made them superstars. Monster rocked out when people expected more Automatic For The People, yet still went 4x platinum. After that, their experimentation on Hi-Fi and Up were just not albums that were going to go well with mainstream listeners, and the follow-ups to that were too fucking boring for anyone to care at that point.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #770
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:34 AM
Quote:

U2 and REM were always considered peers to a certain extent. I think the late 90s is where their courses parted ways. Both bands experienced a decline in popularity in the late 90s. U2 did what everybody wanted them to do and made ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and caught a 2nd wind and cemented their legacy forever. REM did not pander to the masses, and instead made Up, Reveal and Around the Sun. I personally like those albums, but can understand why they didn't tear up the radiowaves. By the time REM did their "return to form" album with Accelerate, it was too late. Also, Stipe's homosexuality and Bill Berry's departure played a huge role in their decline in popularity.
I think Berry's departure is about the only part of this paragraph that I agree with... Not everybody wanted U2 to make ATYCLB, REM still wrote very REM-like mass appeal songs during that time like Daysleeper, Imitation, Great Beyond, and I don't think Stipe's very slow and late coming out had anything to do with their decline in popularity.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #771
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:34 AM

Quote:
I have to think though that if U2 had continued down the road they were headed with Zooropa, Passengers and Pop, we'd have gotten some great and interesting music, but they would've faded into obscurity and eventually broken up due to there being no point in staying together.
I assure you that you don't have to think that way. U2 weren't pandering to the masses when they released ATYCLB and Bomb. Some of their finest songs are on those albums. And if, as you say, they had "released great and interesting music", then they would NOT have faded into obscurity and eventually broken up. NEWSFLASH: They DID make great and interesting music and they are still together. With such classics in their library like War, Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby by 1997, they would have NEVER faded into obscurity. Hell, people are still talking about Nirvana and they only released 3 studio LP's. Cobain died 18 years ago.

As for your REM remarks, most fans knew Micheal Stipe was gay long before he came out publically. And long before their albums sales decreased. Losing Bill was a bummer, but he left for personal reasons. Not because he thought the other guys were assholes. The door was always open for him to return. Eventually they found a capable replacement. Maybe their albums didn't sell well, but their concerts were still top notch. I saw them in 2003 and 2008 and they kicked fuckin' ass!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #772
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Finding out Michael Stipe was gay put me off R.E.M. about as much as Adam's pot bust put me off U2.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #773
Blue Meth Addict

Old 08-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #774
Blue Crack Supplier

Michael Stipe is gay?! Are you sure?

Oh, thats it, I can't listen to them now!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #775
Blue Meth Addict

I'm glad they broke up now, no wonder Berry left.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #776
Refugee

Local Time: 03:34 PM
In terms of "shockingness," Michael Stipe's coming out falls somewhere between Ricky Martin and Lance Bass.

Oh my. Michael Stipe in between Ricky Martin and Lance Bass. I do believe I've gone and made myself all hot and bothered . . .
Old 08-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #777
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:34 AM
And now u iz gonna write teh fanfixtionz. Oh dearz.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #778
Blue Crack Supplier

Guys why do you think they called the album REVEAL??

And the song on the album before that? THE APOLOGIST. Stipe was ashamed of being gay and felt guilty about his homosexuality causing Berry's departure.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #779
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Everyone that knows you wants you to find the fucking time machine already.

That being said....I saw REM in 1987, I believe, but, yeah, seeing them even earlier than that would have been nice.
Were you at the MSG show where Indigo Girls opened?
Old 08-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #780
Blue Crack Supplier

The Indigo Girls? Well that should have been a clue right there...