R.E.M. have broken up - Page 48 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #706
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:16 PM
I'd be pretty taken aback if I listened to murmur and it wasn't so muddy anymore. That would certainly freak me out. And I always assume people who say they like reckoning more are just trying to pick an album less likely to be picked as a favorite because they think it makes them cool. There's no way anyone could actually think its better. Opinion is obviously by nature 100% subjective, but in this case it's actually wrong.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #707
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:16 PM
Reckoning does have more truly great songs IMO, but Murmur is still overall stronger I guess. My main problem with this list, besides overrating the entire IRS period, are the absurd low ratings of Out of Time and Up. The comments on those 2 albums and on Green and Monster just make me wonder whether the reviewer has even listened to those albums the last 15 years.

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #708
Refugee

It's like whoever wrote this hasn't really listened to many of their albums. Monster is pretty far from a straight rock record, and Up doesn't sound like anything else released in 1998 (except for maybe Moon Safari, but that has more to do with the 70s electronics), Some of his comments are perplexing. The list is OK, though. I think the top six are all pretty much equal, and any could be my favourite on a given day.

Because I'm bored:

1. Reckoning
2. New Adventures
3. Murmur
4. Document
5. Lifes Rich Pageant
6. Automatic

7. Collapse Into Now
8. Up
9. Monster
10. Fables of the Reconstruction
11. Green
12. Chronic Town

13. Reveal

14. Accelerate
15. Around the Sun

7-10 are all pretty much even, I think. If Up had 10 instead of 14 songs it would probably own the number one spot. It's just too long and slow, but the arrangements are incredible. That first guitar break on You're In The Air is amazing. I'll never forget the first time I heard it.

Reveal has some poor songs, but the first four songs are as good REM ever recorded, and I love Chorus and the Ring. The production is generally lovely if overdone in spots.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #709
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
I'd be pretty taken aback if I listened to murmur and it wasn't so muddy anymore. That would certainly freak me out. And I always assume people who say they like reckoning more are just trying to pick an album less likely to be picked as a favorite because they think it makes them cool. There's no way anyone could actually think its better. Opinion is obviously by nature 100% subjective, but in this case it's actually wrong.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post

1. Reckoning

Old 07-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #710
The Male

Where would you place Out of Time, Hollow Island?

Personally, I view the whole Green/Out of Time period to be the band's first real dip in quality, as I'd probably rank both near the bottom, but I realize it was pivotal for the band and important to a lot of people. None of my favorites can be found on those albums though.

Now.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #711
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
That first guitar break on You're In The Air is amazing. I'll never forget the first time I heard it.

Finally someone else who appreciates this song.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #712
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Where would you place Out of Time, Hollow Island?

Personally, I view the whole Green/Out of Time period to be the band's first real dip in quality, as I'd probably rank both near the bottom, but I realize it was pivotal for the band and important to a lot of people. None of my favorites can be found on those albums though.

I agree about Green, and Out of Time is a mixed bag. But Country Feedback belongs in the R.E.M. pantheon. As does Losing My Religion, however overplayed. That's pretty much a landmark recording in pop music.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #713
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:16 PM
Low, Losing My Religion and Country Feedback are up there with R.E.M.'s best. Country Feedback is probably even my absolute favourite.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #714
The Male

Losing My Religion, Country Feedback and Near Wild Heaven are the songs I really like on Out of Time. Texarkana is good too. I could take or leave the rest.

Green is meh all the way through.

Now.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #715
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:16 PM
Country Feedback is a thing of beauty - especially the live version from the bonus disc of the In Time compilation.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #716
Blue Crack Supplier

Half A World Away is really pretty. And I'm a big fan of Me In Honey though I don't like it as a closer.

I've been very vocal about my issues with Green, and it really comes off like a major label sellout album at times. But World Leader Pretend is a strong, strong track. You Are The Everything is an early indicator of the "organic" sound of the next two albums and is beautiful. And Orange Crush is a classic at this point, no?
Old 07-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #717
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
It's a great album even if you don't think it's #1.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #718
Blue Crack Supplier

The second side doesn't do much for me.

Fables of the Reconstruction suffers from the same problem, but I think it has more strong tracks. Those first seven are very impressive.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #719
Blue Crack Supplier

Trying to rank them is hurting my brain, and if I managed it earlier in the thread it's probably different than what I'd say right now. But honestly, I could probably go with pageant, murmur, document, hi-fi, or up as a favorite depending on the mood I'm in. A rotating top five if you will. Although I do dig monster as a 6th, it gets a little murky after that. Reveal is last. Fables just above it. I've been awake for 27 hours now, which might have something to do with it.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #720
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Trying to rank them is hurting my brain, and if I managed it earlier in the thread it's probably different than what I'd say right now. But honestly, I could probably go with pageant, murmur, document, hi-fi
These are my Top 4, but 2-4 order would be in reverse.