R.E.M. have broken up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They also released five other songs from that concert on Record Store Day:

LIVE IN GREENSBORO EP – Record Store Day Exclusive

1. “So. Central Rain (I’m Sorry)”
2. “Feeling Gravitys Pull”
3. “Strange”
4. “King of Birds”
5. “I Remember California”

The EP is not included in the Green Deluxe Edition, however.

Found it, thanks.

I get the sense that most everyone here hates Shiny Happy People, but it's a pretty infectious song. Those hooks can get stuck in your head for days.

Out of Time was the very first CD I purchased along with a "will skip if you look at it or breath deeply" early Sony Discman.

I still have one of those, anything less than a perfectly flat surface to put it on would not do. Towards the last years of using it before I got an iPod, you'd have to spin the cd, slam the lid shut, and press play quickly, otherwise it wouldn't work. Once it started playing it would be ok (albeit it rattled like it was a helicopter trying to take off), but of you stopped a song you'd have to open the lid again and give it a kick start spin to get it going again.

I still have that Man On the Moon soundtrack. The duet with Stipe and "Andy Kaufmann" where they alternate every other word on a verse still cracks me up.

Goddamn! Melodious rock music doesn't get much better than early 90s R.E.M.. Songs like Half A World Away, Low, Texarkana, Drive, Man On The Moon, Nightswimming, Find The River... what an amazing body of work! And not to shortchange their brilliant mid and late 80s stuff too, as well as gorgeous stuff like The Great Beyond and At My Most Beautiful... Greatest American Band Ever!

I've been listening to Out Of Time and Automatic today on very good speakers! ;) :drool:

Songs like Half A World Away, Texarkana, Country Feedback and the obligatory Losing My Religion are exactly why I don't/can't write off Out of Time.

Yea I know a lot of primarily 80s fans don't like Out Of Time much because it brought them into the mainstream or whatever. But let me tell you... Losing My Religion was the first R.E.M. song I ever heard. And then I went back and discovered all the classics from Murmur to Green. I may not have discovered the awesomeness of Lifes Rich Pageant, Document or Fables if I had never got into them with Out Of Time.

Yea I know a lot of primarily 80s fans don't like Out Of Time much because it brought them into the mainstream or whatever.

Personally, that isn't why I dislike Out of Time, and that's a silly reason to dislike an album to begin with. My problem with the album is that I find it really inconsistent and directionless. It has a relaxing, sunny vibe that is appealing on certain days though.

My problem with the album is that I find it really inconsistent and directionless. It has a relaxing, sunny vibe that is appealing on certain days though.

Mostly agree here.

There's nothing as godawful as "Ignoreland" (Shiny Happy People comes close, but it fits the general vibe and sound), but there aren't as many legendary tracks as there are on its follow-up. Or Monster. Or Hi-Fi.

I'd still put it above Green, however. Slightly.

I think the tone (I mean the actual sound of the songs, be it production or a certain bent, and not neglecting Kate Pierson from the B52s on some tracks) holds it together somewhat.

Correct, even Radio Song still bears much of the same instrumentation as the rest of the album.

And the organ and mandolin are featured throughout.

Mostly agree here.

There's nothing as godawful as "Ignoreland" (Shiny Happy People comes close, but it fits the general vibe and sound), but there aren't as many legendary tracks as there are on its follow-up. Or Monster. Or Hi-Fi.

I'd still put it above Green, however. Slightly.

What do you have against Ignoreland? I'm genuinely curious.

And Out Of Time is way better than Green, man! Green really is a mixed bag with some stellar tracks like World Leader Pretend, You Are The Everything and Orange Crush but also pointless ramblers like Hairshirt and The Wrong Child. And Stand is arguably worse than Shiny Happy People. At least the latter has the fantastic Kate Pierson who also features in the lovely closer, Me In Honey. :drool:

As far as annoyingly cheery rem songs go, I will take stand over shiny happy people any day.

What do you have against Ignoreland? I'm genuinely curious.

First you have the obnoxiously on-the-nose political lyrics, which aren't creative at all and are now even more painful to listen to than they were back in 1992.

Then there's that weird bouncy synth and drum sound that's completely out of place compared to EVERYTHING ELSE on the album. The guitar sound doesn't fit well either. The distortion on the vocal that would have fit better on Green.

The verses aren't catchy. The chorus is unimaginative.

And the funniest part is, the song is complaining about Bush and the Republicans, yet just a month later Clinton was elected. Like, what's the point?

The song sucks. And if you like it, you suck too.

Though the song does sort of suck, I like Ignoreland more than almost every song on Reveal and Around the Sun at least. It shouldn't be on Automatic though.

I can't even...

It's like looking into an unflushed toilet and trying to pick out which turd looks the best.

Honestly though, as much as I am bored to tears by Reveal, I'd put The Lifting above Ignoreland. There are probably a few others but I haven't made it past the first half of that album in 10 years and don't even remember how those weak-ass songs go.

Imitation of Life is better too, no?

Wow I just realized that I haven't listened to Imitation Of Life (or the whole album as a matter of fact) in several years! lol. The album is sort of a snoozer, isn't it? I like The Lifting and Imitation. Reno bores me. The rest I don't even remember properly but there are a couple of sunny tracks there.

And I never bothered with Around The Sun after reading all the negative reviews. But I do have like 3 songs from it in my itunes.

Regarding 'Shiny Happy People', I have always nurtured hopes of some atrocious death metal band covering it.

Real slowed down, sludgy, but with a little keyboard riff tinkling over the top. And some changes to the lyrics

Throw your love around
happy happy
I'll put you in the ground
shiny shiny!

I haven't listened to Reveal since 2001 and don't count my life notably poorer for the omission.

There are a few passable songs on Reveal. Imitation of Life is great, yeah and All the Way to Reno is enjoyable too. The rest of the album is boooooorrriiiiing

I don't remember there being good songs on Around the Sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom