R.E.M. have broken up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nvm. I can't read. And I was going to say that wasn't really an exact 1-5 order, but actually...it could be. I don't know. Those four are some damn strong albums, and up has too many songs that I like a hell of a lot to not be at the five slot. Ugh, my brain.

I listened to Out of Time whilst making dinner a few Sundays ago and it suddenly really clicked with me. I'd put it in their top ten.

As for top five, I'd have to go with:
Murmur
Lifes Rich Pageant
Document
Automatic for the People
New Adventures in Hi-Fi

Not sure of the order. I also haven't listened to Reckoning or Fables enough to really judge them.

I used to champion Reveal and I do still like it. But when leaving aside nostalgia it doesn't compete with those five.

I feel like we do this yearly, but:

1. Lifes Rich Pageant
2. New Adventures in Hi-Fi (I'd lose a few tracks as well, but the 12 best songs here compete with anything in their catalog)
3. Document
4. Murmur
5. Up

I've criticized Automatic For The People before; I think there's great stuff on there, but I'm not a fan of the track order, and Ignoreland is one of the biggest pieces of shit in their entire catalogue. Monty Got A Raw deal bores the fuck out of me--at least Star Me Kitten has atmosphere. Despite these things, it would still likely be my #6 because the rest of it is truly inspired.

I don't care how much of a hipster it makes me, my top 6 would be all the LPs through Document, plus Automatic. That sound/production they developed in the IRS years is among my favorite things in all of music.

Out of Time was actually the first CD I purchased. I bought a CD player a few months after it had come out (one of the first Discmen, the thing would skip if you breathed on it). It's definitely not one of my favorite REM albums, but it feel extremely nostalgic when I hear it.

I never realized New Adventures was so divisive.

today

1. Out Of Time
2. Fables Of The Reconstruction
3. Up
4. Automatic For The People
5. Monster

LemonMelon said:
I don't care how much of a hipster it makes me, my top 6 would be all the LPs through Document, plus Automatic. That sound/production they developed in the IRS years is among my favorite things in all of music.

Pretty sure that including automatic negates any hipster-ness of the other ones.

Meh. I can only I imagine the two overplayed radio hits that would have sandwiched a sub-par new song if they'd done it in the last 15 years, and even if they'd done it around the time of automatic, how it would have been those same songs plus maybe one I'd like to hear in between. Ive never liked man on the moon anywhere near at much.

Meh. I can only I imagine the two overplayed radio hits that would have sandwiched a sub-par new song if they'd done it in the last 15 years, and even if they'd done it around the time of automatic, how it would have been those same songs plus maybe one I'd like to hear in between. Ive never liked man on the moon anywhere near at much.
Is there anything you don't dislike?

You know, normally people use that line when i mention several things I despise, usually in some pretty descriptive language about how much I think they suck. It's beating a dead horse of a joke when you throw it into a thread where I've made it pretty clear how many other songs and entire albums I of the band's I love. I'd give you half a point for at least phrasing it in the negative, but not even NSW would have jumped to "iwb hates man on the moon=iwb hates everything".

That's a typical Super Bowl set. A couple major hits, a new song if it's available, and while there are several hits I do greatly enjoy, the ones from automatic are the most worn out to me. That's assuming that they would have played it recently, rather than at their height of mainstream popularity--which was that album. so either way, this hypothetical half time show would weigh heavily on that album. It's not one of my favorites (although if you scroll back a page or so, you'll see which ones are. Funny, since I hate everything, that I might have favorite anythings).

Well, I just found it strange to hate on something that hasn't happened and will never happen whilst even making assumptions as to what they'd play etc. And yes, I know someone else brought it up but it was quite a lengthy answer. I didn't even mean it as a joke but more as a rhetorical question to point out that I found it strange. No offence intended and I'm sorry I wasn't funny.

Now you can add me to the list of things you hate. :wink:

hate? no, but i just find your LM impression (since he's the one who most often jumps on that very tired meme where after i say i don't like something, someone else asks if there is anything i actually like) to be rather perplexing. that was actually a simple disagreement, reasoning included, not me hating on an obviously hypothetical situation. i'm pretty sure the only thing i've ever hated on in this thread has been reveal.

i'd go hate on the entire concept of half-time shows, as pertaining to the predictability and general dullness of song selection for the whole 10-15 or so minutes in between barely entertaining commercials and a sport i couldn't care less about. but i can only imagine at this point that might cause a riot.

I respect the hell out of REM and like them enough to own Dead Letter Office, I Feel Fine and In Time...really good band.

R.E.M. Announce Document 25th Anniversary Reissue | News | Pitchfork

On September 25, R.E.M. will release the next reissue in their line of 25th anniversary editions, for 1987's Document. A remastered and expanded 2xCD box version will be available digitally via Capitol/I.R.S., and a 180-gram vinyl edition will also be available via Mobile Fidelity.

The 2xCD edition comes accompanied by a previously unreleased live recording from R.E.M.'s Utrech, Holland stop on the 1987 "Work" tour, as well as four postcards and liner notes by the journalist David Daley.

Listen to Peter Buck's 1987 preview of the record for that year's New Music Seminar, and check out the video for "The One I Love" after the tracklisting.

Document (25th Anniversary Edition):

CD 1:

01 Finest Worksong
02 Welcome to the Occupation
03 Exhuming McCarthy
04 Disturbance at the Heron House
05 Strange (Wire cover)
06 It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
07 The One I Love
08 Fireplace
09 Lightnin' Hopkins
10 King of Birds
11 Oddfellows Local 151

CD 2 (Live in Holland, September 14, 1987):

01 Finest Worksong
02 These Days
03 Lightnin’ Hopkins
04 Welcome to the Occupation
05 Driver 8
06 Feeling Gravitys Pull
07 I Believe
08 The One I Love
09 Exhuming McCarthy
10 Wolves, Lower
11 Fall On Me
12 Just a Touch
13 Oddfellows Local 151
14 Little America
15 It's the End Of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
16 Begin the Begin
17 Disturbance at the Heron House
18 Moral Kiosk
19 Life and How to Live It
20 So. Central Rain

May have to get that one for the bonus disc. On paper, sounds like a concert I'd enjoy listening to.

That is one hell of a setlist. Even with Lightnin' Hopkins. They played almost all of Document, sad that King of Birds didn't make it on tho.

Glad this was bumped so I could enjoy a little lunch time hate exchange that I missed the other day. :)

But really, every time this thread gets bumped I can't help but leap to the wildly implausible conclusion that the reunion tour has been announced.

I'd lose most of the respect I have for them if they announced a reunion tour a year after breaking up.

Also, at this point, Bill Berry or GTFO.

Grrrrr, the bonus disc bait again. I've bought three of these for that 2nd disc (that I've probably listened to once), and this looks like more of the same.

You're not a real fan unless you own every issue in every medium available.

Yeah I'll be getting this one. I love that live setlist. I am a real fan. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom