R.E.M. have broken up - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #196
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Did someone just compare R.E.M. to Tom Hanks?
__________________

__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 09-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #197
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
We're on a Shuttlecock forum. However much some of us still care or don't care about the band, they're the reason we're all here.

So to view things through a Shuttlecock prism at some point isn't exactly off-base. Especially when we're discussing a contemporary of the band.
The U2 stuff doesn't bother me (well, right now at least), it is what it is. The bagging on every other band that's been around for a relatively comparable amount of time to U2 does.
__________________

__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 09-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #198
Refugee
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: die for you baby, DIVE for you baby!
Posts: 1,480
Local Time: 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
They released Backspacer exactly 2 years ago. It's probably their best album since No Code.
Backspacer isn't that interesting. Neither is their self titled album. They have to make things more interesting. The Canadian tour they are doing however is kicking ass. Maybe they are not a studio band.
__________________
canedge is offline  
Old 09-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #199
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,953
Local Time: 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canedge View Post
Backspacer isn't that interesting. Neither is their self titled album. They have to make things more interesting. The Canadian tour they are doing however is kicking ass. Maybe they are not a studio band.
Considering this is the "REM have broken up" thread, maybe we should continue any further Pearl Jam discussion in the current Pearl Jam thread.


But, in a small aside- Pearl Jam have been rocking for 20 years. Maybe they did something right in the studio along the way.
__________________
MrPryck2U is online now  
Old 09-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #200
The Fly
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 194
Local Time: 07:07 AM
It amuses me a little that people, on a U2 forum, are arguing about which 80's bands are past their prime. That must look hilarious to the outside world.
__________________
SeeLoganRun is offline  
Old 09-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #201
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,694
Local Time: 08:07 AM
Wait, there's an outside world?
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is offline  
Old 09-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #202
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 06:07 AM
I'm sure there are far more hilarious things in here to this so-called outside world.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 09-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #203
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,953
Local Time: 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeLoganRun View Post
It amuses me a little that people, on a U2 forum, are arguing about which 80's bands are past their prime. That must look hilarious to the outside world.

Guess what? If you're in this forum, you're no longer part of the "outside" world.
__________________
MrPryck2U is online now  
Old 09-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #204
The Fly
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 194
Local Time: 07:07 AM
Oh no! I've been sucked in!
__________________
SeeLoganRun is offline  
Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #205
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,049
Local Time: 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
We're on a Shuttlecock forum. However much some of us still care or don't care about the band, they're the reason we're all here.

So to view things through a Shuttlecock prism at some point isn't exactly off-base. Especially when we're discussing a contemporary of the band.
It might not be off-base but it's sure as hell annoying.
__________________
cobl04 is offline  
Old 09-24-2011, 02:34 AM   #206
War Child
 
The Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 934
Local Time: 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
I think... Michael Stipe's sexuality being revealed (to me it was never any question he was gay, but who cares?) lead to their fall in popularity.
I was thinking about this a while ago, too. Did Stipe's eventual opening up to Queerness affect their popularity? On the surface, it would seem not, but there is a sharp correlation between it and their fall in sales. It tends to happen that way in the United States (see also, George Michael), where a male rocker's being gay suddenly turns away a huge proportion of the fan-base. So, I dunno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
They lacked all things that appealed to the standard music fan. No searing guitar solos or jam sessions, no real sex appeal, and no pandering gimmicks.
Good points all! U2 have that ability to do everything larger than life, no matter how middle-of-the-road their individual tastes and personalities might be (not to mention their incessant need to appeal to young fans). R.E.M. do not have this ability, and, as you say, lack the usual things that appeal to mentally-deficient (i.e., the average top 40) fan.
__________________
The Panther is offline  
Old 09-24-2011, 02:42 AM   #207
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,011
Local Time: 05:07 AM
Stipe may not have come out until later, but they were always an artsy band. Out of Time was their biggest seller, and the video for Losing My Religion was shot like an art film.

And then you have Shiny Happy People, which is one of the gayest videos I've ever seen. Certainly didn't hurt sales.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 09-24-2011, 02:44 AM   #208
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,049
Local Time: 12:07 AM
I had no idea Stipe was gay. I think it's ridiculous to suggest there's a correlation between that and diminishing sales.

Coming out worked for Bowie.
__________________
cobl04 is offline  
Old 09-24-2011, 03:16 AM   #209
War Child
 
The Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 934
Local Time: 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I think it's ridiculous to suggest there's a correlation between that and diminishing sales.
It's not a suggestion, it's a fact.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that's the only reason -- obviously it has a lot to do with the band's losing Bill Berry and the passing of alt-rock in the mainstream -- but I think it is worth discussing and doesn't need to be curtly dismissed.

If there was ever a "gayer" video than George Michael's "Faith", I've never seen it, but it was the #1 single of the year in the US. Yet, after his forced outage, he dropped off the US charts completely while selling more records than ever in Europe and Britain. A lot of the "arty" or slightly queer stuff passes a lot of people by.

(David Bowie is not gay as far as I know, and in any case he was much more popular in Britain than in the USA.)
__________________
The Panther is offline  
Old 09-24-2011, 03:19 AM   #210
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,014
Local Time: 11:37 PM
Bill Berry had an inspiring monobrow, that's for sure.

Stumbled across Rage last night where they played oodles of R.E.M. videos, was great until I finally fell asleep. Also reminded me that my R.E.M. collection is largely incomplete.
__________________

__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com