R.E.M. have broken up - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #196
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Did someone just compare R.E.M. to Tom Hanks?

Old 09-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #197
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 07:07 AM
Quote:
We're on a Shuttlecock forum. However much some of us still care or don't care about the band, they're the reason we're all here.

So to view things through a Shuttlecock prism at some point isn't exactly off-base. Especially when we're discussing a contemporary of the band.
The U2 stuff doesn't bother me (well, right now at least), it is what it is. The bagging on every other band that's been around for a relatively comparable amount of time to U2 does.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #198
Refugee

Local Time: 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
They released Backspacer exactly 2 years ago. It's probably their best album since No Code.
Backspacer isn't that interesting. Neither is their self titled album. They have to make things more interesting. The Canadian tour they are doing however is kicking ass. Maybe they are not a studio band.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #199
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by canedge View Post
Backspacer isn't that interesting. Neither is their self titled album. They have to make things more interesting. The Canadian tour they are doing however is kicking ass. Maybe they are not a studio band.
Considering this is the "REM have broken up" thread, maybe we should continue any further Pearl Jam discussion in the current Pearl Jam thread.

But, in a small aside- Pearl Jam have been rocking for 20 years. Maybe they did something right in the studio along the way.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #200
The Fly

It amuses me a little that people, on a U2 forum, are arguing about which 80's bands are past their prime. That must look hilarious to the outside world.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #201
Blue Crack Supplier

Wait, there's an outside world?
Old 09-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #202
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:07 AM
I'm sure there are far more hilarious things in here to this so-called outside world.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #203
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeLoganRun View Post
It amuses me a little that people, on a U2 forum, are arguing about which 80's bands are past their prime. That must look hilarious to the outside world.

Guess what? If you're in this forum, you're no longer part of the "outside" world.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #204
The Fly

Oh no! I've been sucked in!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #205
45:33

Local Time: 12:07 AM
Quote:
We're on a Shuttlecock forum. However much some of us still care or don't care about the band, they're the reason we're all here.

So to view things through a Shuttlecock prism at some point isn't exactly off-base. Especially when we're discussing a contemporary of the band.
It might not be off-base but it's sure as hell annoying.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:34 AM   #206
War Child

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
I think... Michael Stipe's sexuality being revealed (to me it was never any question he was gay, but who cares?) lead to their fall in popularity.
I was thinking about this a while ago, too. Did Stipe's eventual opening up to Queerness affect their popularity? On the surface, it would seem not, but there is a sharp correlation between it and their fall in sales. It tends to happen that way in the United States (see also, George Michael), where a male rocker's being gay suddenly turns away a huge proportion of the fan-base. So, I dunno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
They lacked all things that appealed to the standard music fan. No searing guitar solos or jam sessions, no real sex appeal, and no pandering gimmicks.
Good points all! U2 have that ability to do everything larger than life, no matter how middle-of-the-road their individual tastes and personalities might be (not to mention their incessant need to appeal to young fans). R.E.M. do not have this ability, and, as you say, lack the usual things that appeal to mentally-deficient (i.e., the average top 40) fan.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:42 AM   #207
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:07 AM
Stipe may not have come out until later, but they were always an artsy band. Out of Time was their biggest seller, and the video for Losing My Religion was shot like an art film.

And then you have Shiny Happy People, which is one of the gayest videos I've ever seen. Certainly didn't hurt sales.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:44 AM   #208
45:33

Local Time: 12:07 AM
I had no idea Stipe was gay. I think it's ridiculous to suggest there's a correlation between that and diminishing sales.

Coming out worked for Bowie.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:16 AM   #209
War Child

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I think it's ridiculous to suggest there's a correlation between that and diminishing sales.
It's not a suggestion, it's a fact.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that's the only reason -- obviously it has a lot to do with the band's losing Bill Berry and the passing of alt-rock in the mainstream -- but I think it is worth discussing and doesn't need to be curtly dismissed.

If there was ever a "gayer" video than George Michael's "Faith", I've never seen it, but it was the #1 single of the year in the US. Yet, after his forced outage, he dropped off the US charts completely while selling more records than ever in Europe and Britain. A lot of the "arty" or slightly queer stuff passes a lot of people by.

(David Bowie is not gay as far as I know, and in any case he was much more popular in Britain than in the USA.)
Old 09-24-2011, 03:19 AM   #210
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:37 PM
Bill Berry had an inspiring monobrow, that's for sure.

Stumbled across Rage last night where they played oodles of R.E.M. videos, was great until I finally fell asleep. Also reminded me that my R.E.M. collection is largely incomplete.