R.E.M. have broken up - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #166
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
She's in Ireland, R.E.M. broke up, and she always said she was a lightweight...I think we have reason for concern.
Maybe if she had taken her trip to Athens instead of Dublin this wouldnt have happened.

Damn you, Cori. DAMN YOU!!

Old 09-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #167
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzChivalry View Post
Sorry, but I have to completely agree . . . with Crashed. The Cure have been dead to me for years and years now. Such a shame; they were once really good.
I feel like they've always had something good to add on every album they've released since the 80s. And fuck, I truly believe Bloodflowers is one of their best albums, and I definitely don't hate 4:13 Dream either.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #168
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I feel like they've always had something good to add on every album they've released since the 80s. And fuck, I truly believe Bloodflowers is one of their best albums, and I definitely don't hate 4:13 Dream either.
I'm not a 4:13 Dream fan aside from the opening track, but I've liked every other album they've done a great deal. I think most people who say they're, "done" or "dead", likely haven't actually listened to anything other than the band's singles. There's really no denying your feelings about Bloodflowers, it's an undeniable fact. Whatevs, different strokes and such I suppose. The Cure still brings bigger crowds to their shows than most contemporary "big" bands, so whatevs.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #169
The Male

If Robert (because, let's face it, Bloodflowers and The Top prove that The Cure's fate hinges on Robert alone) retires the group before I can see half as great a Cure gig as this, I'll be pissed.

Now.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #170
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
I hope Cori is ok

She's sad like all of us, but she's ok. I'm her FB friend. And I suppose also her spokesperson.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #171
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2girl View Post
LOL @ U2 taking cues from bands disinterested in touring and/or breaking up. Or even making full albums, like the other R band.
Seriously... What does this have to do with anything?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #172
Blue Crack Supplier

You must be new to U2girl.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #173
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
There's really no denying your feelings about Bloodflowers, it's an undeniable fact. Whatevs, different strokes and such I suppose. The Cure still brings bigger crowds to their shows than most contemporary "big" bands, so whatevs.
While I enjoy Bloodflowers, I would certainly not call it one of The Cure's best albums. It's a solid effort, but nowhere near the league of the 80s work, in my opinion at least. The comment about Depeche Mode making the same song over and over again is the one that seemed most unfounded to me. Their last three studio albums have been incredibly varied - all three of them quite strong as well, Playing the Angel perhaps even brilliant.

As for R.E.M., I personally find it refreshing that they decided to end gracefully and on their own terms. Their influence on indie culture is incalculable, and they have never done anything to compromise it, I think.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #174
Refugee

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canedge View Post
I read somewhere else that 'mystique' is non-existent in the download age
and this is troubling. A band like REM really used mystique to their advantage.
David Bowie is a music legend, but the kids of today will not know the first thing about him

Bowie is actually 'lucky' the internet is around so there are fan sites on the internet there to keep the torch burning, remind everyone what a legend he was once

Only a curious kid would be inquisitive enough to wonder who David Bowie is/ was. I can relate to being inquisitive: being a 90s kid who was part of the CD and grunge age, I feel like such a weirdo to enquire on the 80s in the form of Echo and the Bunnymen, New Order and the Smiths, the only downside of that is it makes you disassociate from things which make people believe you have psychosis or some crap like that

Anyway I think Radiohead threw the idea of mystique into the trash bin, they believe that the music business takes care of itself but the most important thing is to keep making good music. People have been misled into believing there is some mythology associated with everything.

^ If you want that, go watch a tv series... A good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
While I enjoy Bloodflowers, I would certainly not call it one of The Cure's best albums. It's a solid effort, but nowhere near the league of the 80s work, in my opinion at least. The comment about Depeche Mode making the same song over and over again is the one that seemed most unfounded to me. Their last three studio albums have been incredibly varied - all three of them quite strong as well, Playing the Angel perhaps even brilliant.

As for R.E.M., I personally find it refreshing that they decided to end gracefully and on their own terms. Their influence on indie culture is incalculable, and they have never done anything to compromise it, I think.
If you look at R.E.M in many ways they are the Tom Hanks of music, they have sold so many records (like how Tom Hanks has grossed so much as an actor for his films), yet the band does not have the so-called elements required to make it big in the business, ie style and looks. The same applies with Tom Hanks. To Tom Hanks it was always about the movies he made, and to R.E.M it was definitely about the music

Anyway I would have liked to have seen R.E.M live, along with Depeche Mode, but I guess we cant have everything in life

There's always the concert DVDs ...

With regards to compromise, the idea of making R.E.M music just fell by the wayside as new sounds were discovered and the idea of R.E.M (heavy lyrics, interesting arrangements back in the day) became old hat, at least it was to me. For one the idea of R.E.M writing all that heavy stuff is wouldnt they get tired of it all after a certain amount of time?
Heavy music will still and always exist forever more, let someone else shoulder the burden, I guess. ie theres stuff like 'Liberation' by Outkast
Old 09-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #175
Blue Crack Distributor

It appears psychotic to like New Order and The Smiths?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #176
Blue Crack Supplier

Did someone just compare R.E.M. to Tom Hanks?

Just checking.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #177
Refugee

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
It appears psychotic to like New Order and The Smiths?
According to my shallow materialistic sibling - who believes John Mayer is the soundtrack to life, and everyone else around me who likes to be spoonfed things, yes

*Continues to wallow*
Old 09-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #178
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Did someone just compare R.E.M. to Tom Hanks?

Just checking.
I thought I imagined that...apparently not.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:40 AM   #179
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashedCarDriver View Post
If you look at R.E.M in many ways they are the Tom Hanks of music

I reported this
you may not be banned, but a lengthy suspension is warranted
Old 09-23-2011, 04:46 AM   #180
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:23 AM
Pearl Jam performing It Happened Today in Calgary, on the day the break-up was announced:

It Happened Today REM Cover Cgy 92111 - YouTube