R.E.M. have broken up - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #151
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:46 PM

With REM choosing to discontinue it just highlights the inevitable. We all get old. All the Generation X bands that we grew up with are now heading to their senior years. Some of them are still putting out good music and some of them are electing to retire. If you're an REM fan, their legacy will live on forever. It also helps that they'll be releasing another greatest hits album with a couple of new songs added. I don't think it's fair to compare REM to U2. They went about things differently. Both in their approach to music and how they went about presenting that music. Now that REM are through, it should allow REM fans an opportunity to reflect on their career. The ups and the downs. A lot of folks have said that the band went downhill when Bill Berry left. If the 3 other guys wanted to continue to make music, why should they have broken up then? Up wasn't such a bad album. I thought Reveal was decent too. Accelerate was probably their best after Bill left.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #152
The Fly

I was depressed by the news, but not surprised. R.E.M. had been my favorite band since 1991 (followed closely by U2). But when they decided not to tour behind "Collapse Into Now" and refused to do any performances at all to promote the album, I sensed they were not interested in being a band anymore.
I think a lot of it has to do with (as someone pointed out earlier) the lack of physical proximity. While the members of U2 still live near each other and even spend vacations together, R.E.M. has been a long-distance band since Peter moved to Seattle in the early 1990s. Mike has a house in L.A. and Michael now lives full-time in New York City. They all have their own lives and interests and rarely see each other. The definition of a band is a group of people gathered in the same place who play music together. R.E.M. has rarely met that description in a long time.
That being said, when they did come together to make an album, they did do some good work. There isn't an R.E.M. album -- even the ones that some people consider failures -- that doesn't have at least a few great songs on it. I have their entire catalog, plus all the videos and dozens of bootlegs, and I take solace in the fact that I will be able to enjoy their music for the rest of my life.
I was fortunate enough to see them in concert nine times. But I did not have a good experience at the last show (in Atlanta in 2008), and I really hoped to see them play live one more time, so I wouldn't be left with that negative memory.
I wish Peter, Mike, Bill and Michael all the best in whatever they decide to do in the future, and I'm very, very grateful for how much they have enriched my life over the past two decades.

Oh, and if I see one more article about their breakup that includes the phrase "it's the end of R.E.M. as we know it," I'm gonna scream.

My favorite R.E.M. song (and I doubt that anyone else will pick this one) is "Feeling Gravitys Pull."

Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #153
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm not one to believe that a band's legacy is harmed if they go on for too long. Sure, their catalog would have been much tighter had they resigned right when Mr. Berry was physically forced to, but then we wouldn't have "At My Most Beautiful", "Imitation of Life" or Accelerate. R.E.M. will always be the greatest indie act of all time when you consider that indie doesn't really exist anymore what with instant internet exposure and songs in television commercials/films. My favorite side of this band (and let's be honest, they covered a lot of territory in their thirty years) would still have to be that early phase when it felt like four young men had been trapped in the woods for nearly a century and emerged with songs like "Harborcoat" that were full of such creativity musically, and shrouded in mystery lyrically, that I'm still blown away every time I hear any of it.

My only final hope is that this last Best Of does their career justice. I imagine a two disc set would suffice, but most of the first disc should include their groundbreaking 80s period and they should probably go light on the latter era. I hope all the best for them in retirement and the great beyond.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #154
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U
I thought Reveal was decent too. Accelerate was probably their best after Bill left.

and to think how many of us wouldn't have made it through that paragraph if you'd started with those two statements. shrewd, sir.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:46 PM
Late to the funeral, but I really like "Collapse Into Now" . . . a lot. For my money, it was their best since "Up". (However, take my statement with a grain of salt, as I have not ever heard "Accelerate", though I've heard it's really good too.)

The news yesterday made me sad, but I appreciate that they knew when it was time to say farewell and that (to me) they went out with a really great album. That makes me happy.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #156
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
and to think how many of us wouldn't have made it through that paragraph if you'd started with those two statements. shrewd, sir.

I'll try not to break my arm patting myself on the back.

You didn't like them?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #157
The Male

Local Time: 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2girl
LOL @ U2 taking cues from bands disinterested in touring and/or breaking up. Or even making full albums, like the other R band.
Rammstein?

Now.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #158
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashedCarDriver
The Cure
You watch your mouth.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #159
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 09-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #160
Blue Crack Addict

Too bad but it's probably the right time.

I only saw them once, on that Vote For Change tour. It was in Cleveland and Bruce was there too.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #161
Refugee

I saw them in Detroit on that tour.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #162
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashedCarDriver View Post
A couple more bands who have gone past their used by date

The Cure
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
You watch your mouth.
Sorry, but I have to completely agree . . . with Crashed. The Cure have been dead to me for years and years now. Such a shame; they were once really good.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #163
Blue Crack Supplier

I hope Cori is ok
Old 09-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #164
The Male

She's in Ireland, R.E.M. broke up, and she always said she was a lightweight...I think we have reason for concern.

Now.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #165
War Child

Local Time: 08:46 PM
my top 10 REM tracks

Drive- still remember the first time I heard it on the radio- dashed out from work during a "tea break" to buy the single
Orange Crush
Fall on Me
Let me In- underrated track from Monster- about Kurt Cobain
Swan Swan H
It's the end of the world as we know it
Parrakeet
Leave
The One I love
Square Circle

there are so mnay great songs to choose from

in terms of albums- Monster, Hi-Fi, Green, Document, Lifes Rich Paegant