R.E.M. have broken up - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #136
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:03 PM
Poor R.E.M. I think the combination of Bill Berry leaving and Michael Stipe's sexuality being revealed (to me it was never any question he was gay, but who cares?) lead to their fall in popularity. They really did continue to make great music and put on great live shows... people just simply stopped caring. I'm not really sure why. They lacked all things that appealed to the standard music fan. No searing guitar solos or jam sessions, no real sex appeal, and no pandering gimmicks. For awhile that WAS the cool thing, when alternative rock was big, but now that has passed and people's attention spans are shorter than ever.

Anyway, my top 10 songs:
Perfect Circle
Harborcoat
Fall on me
Begin the begin
Finest Worksong
Nightswimming
Find the river
Leave
At your most beautiful
Leaving New York

Old 09-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:33 AM
Had all day to stew on this and still feeling bummed. Went out to the pub, had some red wine, but still Maybe I need to pull a Peter Buck and have some meds on top of the wine and freak out!!!!!

Old 09-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:03 PM
LOL @ U2 taking cues from bands disinterested in touring and/or breaking up. Or even making full albums, like the other R band.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #139
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:03 AM
I think the reasons for REM splitting (which seem so organic and almost idyllic - so graceful) will be different from the reasons why U2 will eventually split.

I'd be more inclined to think that U2 won't ever officially split, but just fade away until special circumstances dictate that they really are over. Bono might fall into a role or a job that demands the need to temporarily retire, but the possibility of at some stage picking up where they left off will always exist.

Anyway, enough about U2. This is about REM.

Been listening to some REM in light of their demise. How good are these songs!:

Driver 8
Leave
Great Beyond
Pilgrimage

wow
Old 09-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #140
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Sad news.

I can't say I'm a huge fan though. I only know about 5 albums. I like those but I never felt the urge to dive deeper into their back-catalogue. I'll probably start doing it now, now it's too late.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #141
Blue Crack Addict

Find the River has been my favourite song for many years, I just love this song, it means a lot to me, as does REM's music in general. I love Michael Stipe and I hope to hear his voice again sooner or later. However, they'll be hugely missed.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #142
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

to hear Stipey's voice you just need to stick the cd on don't you? i mean it's not as if he's died or doesn't go down the pub with you any more is it? the music is still there... just no more new music, that's all...

apart from the initial surprise of the break-up, i seriously don't get the morbidity surrounding it all really

ok, flame me
Old 09-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #143
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
the music is still there... just no more new music, that's all...
That's sad enough, it's the end of an era.

If I think about U2 not making music together, the fact that all 4 of them being alive, but going separate ways would be only a small consolation. There's more to certain bands than just the sum of its parts.

But yes, of course we can still listen to their music and I'm grateful for that, even though I'm having a hard time listening to their stuff right now. I wanted to see them tour again so badly
Old 09-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

yeah i guess it is an end of an era for them, true... they have been around a very long time though, maybe it will be good for them to go off and do new things...

hey, at least they're not thinking of auditioning an official tribute band, like Queen are right now, to go around on tour making money for them while they sit at home on their asses! lol!!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #145
Refugee

Local Time: 04:03 AM
A couple more bands who have gone past their used by date

The Cure
Depeche Mode - theyve been making the same song for quite a while now
Old 09-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:03 PM
A shame, but they had a great run.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #147
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
That's a little depressing.
It actually wasn't, it was perfect for us at the time.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #148
Refugee

Local Time: 04:03 AM
The thing that counts against these so-called 'legacy' bands such as R.E.M. is (believe it or not)... The music business! it moves so fast these days in the form of downloading and only have a glimpse of a chance to retain attention before it gets pushed aside for something else to listen to

Especially now when you unearth amazing new music from Pitchfork and music blog websites - by the day. Of which those bands havent been heard of, have difficult to pronounce names (ie Tuneyards etc), but they are the ones that keep the boat floating for making good music. If you are going to be spoonfed you will only accept mediocrity!

In the old days, you wait 3 months or until spring or summer for the big CD release from the music business, nowadays you just DOWNLOAD. There is no loyalty to a band! "Loyalty" to a band for me is closemindedness, I dont see how thinking "one band is better than the rest" proves anything.

I also dont think a band can go for longer if 1. it loses its relevance, 2. it loses the spark, tension, friction or energy that makes everyone so excited about it in the first place. That's why it is going to be difficult for a band like R.E.M to come around again, there will also be smaller bands that are going to be cult or urban legends, but nothing will be international.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #149
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass
to hear Stipey's voice you just need to stick the cd on don't you? i mean it's not as if he's died or doesn't go down the pub with you any more is it? the music is still there... just no more new music, that's all...

apart from the initial surprise of the break-up, i seriously don't get the morbidity surrounding it all really

ok, flame me
there is an element of finality to a break up, something an indefinite hiatus doesn't hold which has a weight to it...eh, it's past my bedtime and this won't be as articulate as i'd like.

suffice to say, i actually woke up yesterday to a text from my mom that said "no more rem " and might have thought, crap, did stipe die or something? it's just not every day that a band that's been around 30some years actually calls it quits. there aren't that many rock bands that have been around that long, and due to a timeline, by nature are still around. they may go on several years long breaks, but they never announce hey, we're done. unless they're kiss and have more reunion tours than brett favre has retirement parties, but who the fuck cares about kiss.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #150
Refugee

Local Time: 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashedCarDriver View Post
The thing that counts against these so-called 'legacy' bands such as R.E.M. is (believe it or not)... The music business! it moves so fast these days in the form of downloading and only have a glimpse of a chance to retain attention before it gets pushed aside for something else to listen to

Especially now when you unearth amazing new music from Pitchfork and music blog websites - by the day. Of which those bands havent been heard of, have difficult to pronounce names (ie Tuneyards etc), but they are the ones that keep the boat floating for making good music. If you are going to be spoonfed you will only accept mediocrity!

In the old days, you wait 3 months or until spring or summer for the big CD release from the music business, nowadays you just DOWNLOAD. There is no loyalty to a band! "Loyalty" to a band for me is closemindedness, I dont see how thinking "one band is better than the rest" proves anything.

I also dont think a band can go for longer if 1. it loses its relevance, 2. it loses the spark, tension, friction or energy that makes everyone so excited about it in the first place. That's why it is going to be difficult for a band like R.E.M to come around again, there will also be smaller bands that are going to be cult or urban legends, but nothing will be international.
I read somewhere else that 'mystique' is non-existent in the download age
and this is troubling. A band like REM really used mystique to their advantage.