Question: why do Aussie hip hop artists have nothing to talk about

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kieran McConville

ONE love, blood, life
Question: in the Dwight Schrute sense of that word.

Seriously, I get that a lot of hip hop is all about bragging or whatever, pretty boring to me but there it is. But Aussie hip hop... I can't remember the last time I heard one of these 'artists' release a track that concerned anything but themselves and their lives as hip hop people in the hip hop scene. With a few obscure pop culture references thrown in (I'm like that one guy from that one show!)

Question: in the Dwight Schrute sense of that word.

Seriously, I get that a lot of hip hop is all about bragging or whatever, pretty boring to me but there it is. But Aussie hip hop... I can't remember the last time I heard one of these 'artists' release a track that concerned anything but themselves and their lives as hip hop people in the hip hop scene. With a few obscure pop culture references thrown in (I'm like that one guy from that one show!)

Don't even get me started. That's only like my #3 issue with Aussie hip-hop.

What are issues one and two?

I think if I was a hip hop MC or DJ, or whatever the fuck you're supposed to call yourself, I'd go by the moniker of 'Issue'. I'd get up on stage with a pig's head on a stick and inform the crowd 'Art. Fuck.'

One is the vocals, they all "rap" with a similar twang, and two is the production, which with a tiny few exceptions is all extremely uninspired.

Yeah, I can go with that. The twang is annoying, and let's just say the world is running out of middle of the road folk/pop/rock songwriters to nick.

Where is Australia's Public Enemy?

...except I would not love to have a beer with any Aussie hip-hop artist, regardless of whether his name was Duncan or not.

That's a hyper-Aussie reference for ya.

While John Safran's away, the jays have been running some light-comedy (read lame-comedy) live debate show on Sunday nights. No, not even I bother tuning in, but I heard a promo for it and last week's was 'is Aussie hip hop the best in the world?'.

No, no it is not. It is the worst in the world. It's possible, I guess, that German hip hop is worse, if such a thing even exists. But I doubt it.

Hey, all you need to be funny in Australia nowadays is a halfway convincing Julia Gillard accent and a pitch for a 3-episode series (four to be safe, but it is gonna be cancelled, and deservedly, why waste the effort).

Back
Top Bottom