Queen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just on my way here...with the specific task of paying homage to Freddie on this sad day. Probably the greatest front man ever

I got asked if I was gay once because I bought a Queen live DVD. If that's the definition then deck me out in rainbow clothes. Freddie was indeed the man.

What a great performer and great front man. I'm lucky to say I got to see Queen twice with him.

♥Freddie♥

I'm surprised there isn't more Queen discussion on this forum. Been going through a Queen phase lately by virtue of updating the collection with the 2015 vinyl re-releases.

I love U2 - they are my favourite band, and Bono is probably my favourite vocalist - but Freddie had something no-one had before or since. Just wonderful - the purest, best vocalist ever. This article is certainly worth a read for those that agree.

New scientific study confirms the obvious: Freddie Mercury had an unparalleled singing voice | Consequence of Sound

There should be more Queen discussion here...An amazing band. The 2 early era-live releases (Night at the Odeon and Live at the Rainbow) that were released recently are amazing.

Top 3 for me, right behind U2 and Beatles. Freddie Mercury and Brian May are one of those magic singer/guitar player combos.

Funny this popped up...i'm seeing the current lineup with Adam Lambert live in two days' time.

I'm pretty much just familiar with a number of their songs, haven't actually heard an album of theirs in full.

But I've definitely always loved what I have heard by Queen, and I'm up for any suggestions of which album(s) would be the best starting point to delve further.

Personally my entry was the 80's albums. The Works, A Kind of magic and The Miracle in particular.

A Night at the Opera has to be first. Balance of rock, whimsy, ballads and epicness.

The Game is great as well - just don't listen to Hot Space first.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The two classics: A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races.

But I don't think you can go wrong with any of the first five albums.

I know We Will Rock You and Champions are overplayed, but News Of The World is also essential. It's Late is one of my fav Queen songs, plus Get Down Make Love and a few others.

I've heard a bunch of Queen albums (II, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, News of the World, The Game, Innuendo) and A Night at the Opera and Sheer Heart Attack are the only ones I really like. To me, they're a singles band and Opera is their only masterpiece, but they have a ton of classic tracks.

Last edited:
I own their Greatest Hits I&II and love most of the tracks there, but I think The Works is the only album that I've actually listened to(I own it and News Of The World on vinyl, but I'm not sure if I've ever listened to the latter all the way through).

You just don't hear people talking about their albums with the same reverence they do about the albums of so many other bands.

Their singles are killer for the most part, though.

Also, Mercury is absolutely a top five frontman of all time.

Everything up until The Game was pretty decent. Their older albums have some good deep cuts. Night Comes Down from the first album is pretty.

Innuendo is better than people give credit for - The Show Must Go On is such a great song.

Every album has songs to skip, but every album also has deep cuts that are amazing.

Because of this thread I finally got around to listening to Jazz.

It's pretty underrated, honestly. The ballads are lovely (It's Only Seven Days, Leaving Home Ain't Easy) and there's an exciting streak of experimentation running through the album. You've got to be a real dickhead to not like Don't Stop Me Now. Queen also gets major points for writing Fat Bottomed Girls years before songs about girls with huge asses were a thing. Queen and Sir Mix-a-Lot both deserve credit for forming our modern sensibilities.

Unfortunately, there are always skips on their albums. Mustapha and Fun It are awful.

Last edited:
The 80s were an odd time for the band I guess. I only remember hearing Radio GaGa and I Want to Break Free on the radio a lot as a kid in the mid 80s and also the duet with Bowie.

It always seemed to me like the 80s were an odd, often awkward time for any band that existed prior to that decade. Way too many weirdly used synths.

I've always had more of an appreciation or respect for Queen than ever considered them a band I like to listen to. Musically, you can't shit on them. And they had one of the top 5 greatest frontmen ever. I've tried, I've listened to the majority of the albums because I thought maybe like the Stones, I'd find that they had amazing songs that were overshadowed by the mega hit overplayed singles. I didn't find that, though.

Really? I can't see it on my Sheer Heart Attack CD. Maybe cos it's a 91 re-issue.

Anyway, just bumping this cos I'm gonna get into Queen. Sheer Heart Attack kicked my ass. It's so good.

You gotta get News Of The World if you haven't already.

After the two big songs We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions is some really solid stuff. It's Late is maybe my favorite song by them.

When Queen's music made a comeback in 1990-1992 due to Vanilla Ice/ Innuendo/Freddy's death/Greatest Hit Sales/Wayne's World, my friend played the shit out them constantly in his apartment and car. They owned Wembley when they performed at Live Aid. When the crowd did all the Radio Gaga shit, it was mind blowing. Watching the video of that gave me goosebumps. I definitely grew an appreciation for them.

Back
Top Bottom