Pure Reason Revolution - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 07:08 PM
Pure Reason Revolution

I know you guys probably haven't heard of this band. They're sort of progressive rock - a combination of Pink Floyd, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Beach Boys, and other bands. Their 2006 album, "The Dark Third", was my album of the year for 2006. It's just a great album.

I'm sitting here listening to their new album that comes out on March 9th (it leaked a month early), and it's absolutely brilliant. PRR will have competition this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of my favorite albums released this year. They went off in a electronica direction this time, but I really like it, it really suits them.

Any other fans of this band?

Old 01-31-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:08 PM
hmmm....i haven't heard of them, but thanks for the heads up. i'll check them out later tonight.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 06:08 PM
The Dark Third is a great album.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 01:08 AM
I have heard maybe two songs and I liked them but for some reason I didn't explore more stuff. I'll probably download that 2006 album
Old 01-31-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

PRR has quite the loyal, if small, following here. I know myself, Axver, Screwtape, and a few others have been into them since the first album, and hopefully others will catch on - I think we've converted Ashley, too.

The first album, The Dark Third, is more progressive in nature, as previously posted. But this new album, Amor Vincit Omnia, is out in March, but has leaked this week. And yes, it's definitely more of an electronic album than anything else, with less guitars, but those incredible vocals are still there, and the scope of the album is still epic. For those used to the first album, it takes a few listens. But it will win you over eventually.

I was contemplating starting a thread about them myself, so nicely done.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:13 AM   #6
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Amor Vincit Omnia is fucking quality, but it sounds like the same vocalists singing with a completely different band. I'm impressed by just how competently the band have transformed their style without doing any damage to the album's cohesion. In terms of individual songs, Deus Ex Machina delivers.

The Dark Third era material is ultimately more my thing, though. The Twyncyn/Trembling Willows, Nimos And Tambos, Goshen's Remains, Arrival/The Intention Craft, and In Aurelia are all kinds of awesome.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Recent photo of the band for the curious...

Old 02-03-2009, 03:42 AM   #8
Vocal parasite

The more I play Les Malheurs, the less I can stand it. Had no problem with it the first time around, but I think it's fast becoming my least favourite song on the new album.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

It certainly was a shock to hear that as the opener, I'll tell you that.

But I like the song.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
Vocal parasite

Something about the lyrics/vocals in it really bugs me. The music's fine, but I end up finding the track off-putting so I skip it.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I'm bumping this thread. This album comes out next week in Europe and deserves the attention. It's my favorite album of the year so far.

Sadly, they still don't have their website up. On top of that, you'd think with the new album leaked and available next week that they would have more than the old Album 2 Demo Sampler in their myspace player. It's these types of things that makes it frustrating being a fan of theirs. I was hoping the move to a small indie label would change things. So far, that hasn't been the case.

I really hope their management and label get their act together. And soon.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:32 AM   #12
War Child

Local Time: 07:08 PM
I agree. ^ The album isn't even available to preorder on Itunes. I keep on checking it, and only The Dark Third is available.

I really have hopes for this band. I don't want to see my hopes dashed by poor promotion. This band has potential.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

So I realize I'm one of maybe five people on this site that listens to them, but I'm bumping this anyway. New album has been out for about a month and is very good. Sound is more like the last album than the first; not sure if they will ever go back to their progressive ways.

The first song is the weakest in my eyes, which is too bad because it features Chloe on lead vocals, but stay with it. It gets much better after the opener.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:08 PM
The new one snuck up on me somehow. Very excited to hear it.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:26 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:08 PM
Ok, hated the opener, very much. But, it quickly got much better.

I'm a bit disappointed by the album though, I must say, and you're probably going to laugh at me for why. There was such a huge jump between the first and second album, and I much preferred the sound on the second album, so you'd think I'd be happy that they stuck with that sound. Honestly though, I'd rather they continued to experiment, therefore, hearing an album that sounds exactly like something that was in my top ten for 2009, is probably going to rank somewhere in the 30s or 40s for me in 2010.

Also, that's two albums in a row where a closer named "Armistice" has been my favorite track on the album, or close to it

Tags
pure reason revolution