Pure Reason Revolution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShipOfFools

War Child
I know you guys probably haven't heard of this band. They're sort of progressive rock - a combination of Pink Floyd, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Beach Boys, and other bands. Their 2006 album, "The Dark Third", was my album of the year for 2006. It's just a great album.

I'm sitting here listening to their new album that comes out on March 9th (it leaked a month early), and it's absolutely brilliant. PRR will have competition this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of my favorite albums released this year. They went off in a electronica direction this time, but I really like it, it really suits them.

Any other fans of this band?

hmmm....i haven't heard of them, but thanks for the heads up. i'll check them out later tonight.

I have heard maybe two songs and I liked them but for some reason I didn't explore more stuff. I'll probably download that 2006 album

PRR has quite the loyal, if small, following here. I know myself, Axver, Screwtape, and a few others have been into them since the first album, and hopefully others will catch on - I think we've converted Ashley, too. ;)

The first album, The Dark Third, is more progressive in nature, as previously posted. But this new album, Amor Vincit Omnia, is out in March, but has leaked this week. And yes, it's definitely more of an electronic album than anything else, with less guitars, but those incredible vocals are still there, and the scope of the album is still epic. For those used to the first album, it takes a few listens. But it will win you over eventually.

I was contemplating starting a thread about them myself, so nicely done.

Amor Vincit Omnia is fucking quality, but it sounds like the same vocalists singing with a completely different band. I'm impressed by just how competently the band have transformed their style without doing any damage to the album's cohesion. In terms of individual songs, Deus Ex Machina delivers.

The Dark Third era material is ultimately more my thing, though. The Twyncyn/Trembling Willows, Nimos And Tambos, Goshen's Remains, Arrival/The Intention Craft, and In Aurelia are all kinds of awesome.

Recent photo of the band for the curious...

pure_reason_revolution.jpg

The more I play Les Malheurs, the less I can stand it. Had no problem with it the first time around, but I think it's fast becoming my least favourite song on the new album.

Something about the lyrics/vocals in it really bugs me. The music's fine, but I end up finding the track off-putting so I skip it.

I'm bumping this thread. This album comes out next week in Europe and deserves the attention. It's my favorite album of the year so far.

Sadly, they still don't have their website up. On top of that, you'd think with the new album leaked and available next week that they would have more than the old Album 2 Demo Sampler in their myspace player. It's these types of things that makes it frustrating being a fan of theirs. I was hoping the move to a small indie label would change things. So far, that hasn't been the case.

I really hope their management and label get their act together. And soon.

I agree. ^ The album isn't even available to preorder on Itunes. I keep on checking it, and only The Dark Third is available.

I really have hopes for this band. I don't want to see my hopes dashed by poor promotion. This band has potential.

So I realize I'm one of maybe five people on this site that listens to them, but I'm bumping this anyway. New album has been out for about a month and is very good. Sound is more like the last album than the first; not sure if they will ever go back to their progressive ways.

The first song is the weakest in my eyes, which is too bad because it features Chloe on lead vocals, but stay with it. It gets much better after the opener.

Ok, hated the opener, very much. But, it quickly got much better.

I'm a bit disappointed by the album though, I must say, and you're probably going to laugh at me for why. There was such a huge jump between the first and second album, and I much preferred the sound on the second album, so you'd think I'd be happy that they stuck with that sound. Honestly though, I'd rather they continued to experiment, therefore, hearing an album that sounds exactly like something that was in my top ten for 2009, is probably going to rank somewhere in the 30s or 40s for me in 2010. :huh:

Also, that's two albums in a row where a closer named "Armistice" has been my favorite track on the album, or close to it :wink:

Actually, I understand completely what you mean, and I hope the rest of their albums aren't all like these last two, as much as I like them.

And I would also rate this one slightly lower than the last, mainly because Fight Fire really sucks, but it's still a fantastic record in my eyes and will be quite high up on my best of 2010 list, although it certainly won't be #1 like Amor was. Definitely Top 10 though.

On my 2009 list AVO was #10 of *I think* 93 (the document's on my external and I don't feel like going to get it, lol).

On my 2010 list, after one listen, H&A is ranked 39th of 104.

So, it's not like I hate it or anything :lol:.
I honestly am quite looking forward to hearing it again in retrospect. I do love these guys.

I've got terrible news and I wish I was bumping the thread for any reason other than this.

Pure Reason Revolution have broken up. They're doing one final tour of the UK later this month, which will include playing The Dark Third in full. Last show ever is 30/11 in London.

I can't tell you how gutted I am. It's stupid but I actually shed a few tears. These guys have been one of the most important bands to me ever since The Dark Third came out. They've released three of my favourite albums ever. I've even bumped Hammer And Anvil to five stars on RYM - Fight Fire's lyrics initially coloured my impressions of it, but the rest of the album has stuck with me so strongly that I can't deny it's on that level. I regularly listen to almost every song they've ever written.

Even more gutted since they never once came to Australia, and I don't think Charlotte and I can afford the flights to England for one of the last shows.

I've generally been lucky that my favourite bands are still together, my favourite musicians are still alive, or those bands who've broken up or musicians who've died did so well before I ever became a fan. Syd Barrett and Rick Wright's deaths were sad. Isis's break-up hurt. But this is the most upsetting musical news I've ever experienced. That's how much PRR mean to me.

:sad:

I think it's such a shame they never got the acclaim they deserve. I totally reckon it's because they unfairly got stamped and pigeonholed with the "prog" label for The Dark Third and never shook it, combined with horrible/no promotion and the bizarre internal politics between the first and second albums. They could have been so much more successful; such a wonderful band.

Second and third albums, definitely a chance you might dig it. Listen to Deus Ex Machina, Les Malheurs (not a favourite of mine but quite popular), and Black Mourning and see what you think. They should be fairly representative.

Or for their earlier "proggy" stuff (as in heavily atmospheric and influenced by Pink Floyd, not over-the-top look-how-fast-we-play wank), Goshen's Remains, Nimos And Tambos, or Apprentice Of The Universe should give you a good idea.

And sometimes they just straight up rock, as on In Aurelia.

I see they have an EP coming out in a few days, which will include a new track, so at least there's that.

But damn, this really sucks. One of the finest, relatively unknown bands of the last few years, and I'm sad they'll never become more widely appreciated. Wish I could go to the UK to see that last show. Playing The Dark Third in its entirety is going to be insane. They at least better release that show afterwards.

I see they have an EP coming out in a few days, which will include a new track, so at least there's that.

That's how I found out the terrible news. I saw the EP listed on RYM, thought "ooh awesome, some new PRR!", went to their website for more details ... and there you have it.

I keep on thinking up crazy schemes to get myself to that final London show.

Think I'll re-listen to the Dark Third tonight in their memory. I always liked that side of their sound better.

I'm especially curious whether they'll do The Twyncyn/Trembling Willows or Arrival/The Intention Craft, because both songs are in their recent setlists.

I'd hope they'd work both in somehow, since they're two of the best PRR songs.

Back
Top Bottom