Pure Reason Revolution - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:07 AM
Actually, I understand completely what you mean, and I hope the rest of their albums aren't all like these last two, as much as I like them.

And I would also rate this one slightly lower than the last, mainly because Fight Fire really sucks, but it's still a fantastic record in my eyes and will be quite high up on my best of 2010 list, although it certainly won't be #1 like Amor was. Definitely Top 10 though.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:07 AM
On my 2009 list AVO was #10 of *I think* 93 (the document's on my external and I don't feel like going to get it, lol).

On my 2010 list, after one listen, H&A is ranked 39th of 104.

So, it's not like I hate it or anything .
I honestly am quite looking forward to hearing it again in retrospect. I do love these guys.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #18
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:07 PM
I've got terrible news and I wish I was bumping the thread for any reason other than this.

Pure Reason Revolution have broken up. They're doing one final tour of the UK later this month, which will include playing The Dark Third in full. Last show ever is 30/11 in London.

I can't tell you how gutted I am. It's stupid but I actually shed a few tears. These guys have been one of the most important bands to me ever since The Dark Third came out. They've released three of my favourite albums ever. I've even bumped Hammer And Anvil to five stars on RYM - Fight Fire's lyrics initially coloured my impressions of it, but the rest of the album has stuck with me so strongly that I can't deny it's on that level. I regularly listen to almost every song they've ever written.

Even more gutted since they never once came to Australia, and I don't think Charlotte and I can afford the flights to England for one of the last shows.

I've generally been lucky that my favourite bands are still together, my favourite musicians are still alive, or those bands who've broken up or musicians who've died did so well before I ever became a fan. Syd Barrett and Rick Wright's deaths were sad. Isis's break-up hurt. But this is the most upsetting musical news I've ever experienced. That's how much PRR mean to me.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh wow...I don't even know....I'm not shocked...but wow.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:45 AM   #20
Vocal parasite

I think it's such a shame they never got the acclaim they deserve. I totally reckon it's because they unfairly got stamped and pigeonholed with the "prog" label for The Dark Third and never shook it, combined with horrible/no promotion and the bizarre internal politics between the first and second albums. They could have been so much more successful; such a wonderful band.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-03-2011, 03:24 AM   #21
45:33

Would I like them?
Old 11-03-2011, 03:32 AM   #22
Vocal parasite

Second and third albums, definitely a chance you might dig it. Listen to Deus Ex Machina, Les Malheurs (not a favourite of mine but quite popular), and Black Mourning and see what you think. They should be fairly representative.

Or for their earlier "proggy" stuff (as in heavily atmospheric and influenced by Pink Floyd, not over-the-top look-how-fast-we-play wank), Goshen's Remains, Nimos And Tambos, or Apprentice Of The Universe should give you a good idea.

And sometimes they just straight up rock, as on In Aurelia.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-03-2011, 04:33 AM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

All of it is fantastic.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Fuck.

Done too soon.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

I see they have an EP coming out in a few days, which will include a new track, so at least there's that.

But damn, this really sucks. One of the finest, relatively unknown bands of the last few years, and I'm sad they'll never become more widely appreciated. Wish I could go to the UK to see that last show. Playing The Dark Third in its entirety is going to be insane. They at least better release that show afterwards.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #26
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I see they have an EP coming out in a few days, which will include a new track, so at least there's that.
That's how I found out the terrible news. I saw the EP listed on RYM, thought "ooh awesome, some new PRR!", went to their website for more details ... and there you have it.

I keep on thinking up crazy schemes to get myself to that final London show.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #27
The Male

Think I'll re-listen to the Dark Third tonight in their memory. I always liked that side of their sound better.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I pretty much listened to their entire output today.

I wonder which version of The Dark Third they will perform. Probably the UK version as that's where the show is.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #29
Vocal parasite

I'm especially curious whether they'll do The Twyncyn/Trembling Willows or Arrival/The Intention Craft, because both songs are in their recent setlists.

I'd hope they'd work both in somehow, since they're two of the best PRR songs.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

I think both get played in some fashion. Perhaps the encore features whichever song isn't included in the album.

Tags
pure reason revolution