PRINCE IS GOD: The Official Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, because wanting current songs to be played instead of five songs from a 10 year old album that don't complement the stage show translates as "tailored just to my taste".

:rolleyes:

Have you sold your U2 tickets yet, or are you waiting to see if they play what you want them to play in Mexico and Denver?

You complain about setlist decisions far too much to roll your eyes at me.

I'm not alone in thinking they've made a lot of poor decisions on this tour.

I certainly have a right to criticize them, and if I thought I was getting a too-identical-to-2009 setlist (or one filled with ATYCLC songs replacing some good No Net ones) instead of one with new songs from an album that never materialized, I think it's perfectly rational to not want to go to both shows. Or either show for that matter.

I'm not alone in thinking they've made a lot of poor decisions on this tour.

I certainly have a right to criticize them, and if I thought I was getting a too-identical-to-2009 setlist (or one filled with ATYCLC songs replacing some good No Net ones) instead of one with new songs from an album that never materialized, I think it's perfectly rational to not want to go to both shows. Or either show for that matter.

When you're rational and thoughtful, you make more sense. I think you let yourself get carried away with complaining.

Can you just enjoy a concert, without thinking of what might be the "perfect setlist" and how tonight isn't? Maybe some poor decisions were made, but it's still a great time, isn't it? What's the point of going to concerts if all you can think about is what songs weren't performed? I've wished certain songs were played at many concerts I've been to, but I was still able to somehow enjoy the night and the music.

It was really encouraging to see things like EBTTRT and Zooropa thrown in at the end of the South American tour.

It was, which is why I'm still likely to go.

But I'd still rather see fresh material. Unfortunately, the album was shelved, and the new songs debuted on the last leg pretty much all sucked, including the desecration of an unreleased song I wanted to hear more than anything else, ever.

Martha, if I was going to only one show on a tour, then I would be happy with whatever and dont have this anhedonia you're implying. But when you're paying to see multiple nights, especially with Shuttlecock, then it gets old quickly. For me. I understand that we have many people who feel privileged to bask in the glory of Shuttlecock again and again without reservation, but that's extremism to me.

I feel the opposite: I am only going to one show, so I want the very best setlist for that night. I might never see them again, who knows.

And that's one more way the internet has fucked everything up. Now you all "know what you're missing" and somehow feel you've missed out. You feel you're owed the perfect setlist, and there'll be hell to pay if it's not just what you've hoped for and dreamed of.

Why even go when there's such a chance of disappointment?

I still enjoy nearly every concert I go to; the exceptions are when the musicianship is poor, or the crowd is unruly or disinterested.

1999 has grown on me exponentially. I don't remember being too thrilled about the album on first listen...it seemed really bloated and strangely cold, but the melodies really stood out on this listen. I do think the album is about 10 minutes and two tracks too long, but it never really gets boring. If there's a flaw, it's that the synthesizers keep the music a bit too rigid, limiting the funk somewhat. But Automatic manages to be basically perfect at 9 minutes, so I can't complain too much.

Yeah, that one still isn't one of my favorites. Funky, but nothing really happens for 7 minutes. I'm sure it takes off live, but the album take isn't all that remarkable.

I forgot that I actually love International Lover, although Slow Love is a bit better as far as these ballads go.

Oh, and one more thing. Little Red Corvette > Something In The Water would have been a superb transition. I probably could work with the sequencing a bit, but it's pretty solid as is. Just surprised that he didn't attempt to merge those two somehow.

I saw a tweet that mentioned Bono was at the Prince show last night in LA, and that Prince tried to get him onstage, but he declined.

That would have been interesting. Not sure if in a good or a bad way.

I saw a tweet that mentioned Bono was at the Prince show last night in LA, and that Prince tried to get him onstage, but he declined.

That would have been interesting. Not sure if in a good or a bad way.

Anybody have a hard time believing Bono would pass up an opportunity to be on stage, especially with someone he admired someone so much? :scratch:

Maybe he was tired.

But sure, why not?

Maybe he's taking his "our fans our not funky enough" to mean "I'M not funky enough." :wink:

Ha! Yeah, maybe Bono was all "I know Kiss, I can sing that one," and Prince was all "No way, tall guy. I'm not playing that tonight."

Like Boner would be able to remember the lyrics of anything he would have been asked to sing along on. :rolleyes:

:lol:

I didn't see a teleprompter on American Idol last night.. Wondering how he sang the whole song without fucking it up.. Hmm maybe he actually memorized the lyrics..? NAW.. Probably had some high tech miniature telepromter in his long ass sleeves of his leather jacket.. :D

I assume Bono has a telepromter similar to Bruce's that is flush with the floor, at least on AI, which is why you wouldn't have seen it. But, hell if I know.

Back
Top Bottom