PRINCE IS GOD: The Official Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I won't bother bringing a camera. And the camera on my phone is utter crap, so Prince is safe from my evil camera ways.

Other than being prepared to have one's face melted off?

You have not written more. Shall we gather that you're still blown away two weeks later? :wink:

I've been in the ICU...the skin on my face is slowly regenerating itself from the meltdown of SHEER PRINCE AWESOMENESS!!

:wink:

But seriously..it was all I could have asked for and then some. I would have liked to have heard Insatiable, but it wouldn't have been right for the "party atmosphere". That one's for knockin' boots..which makes it a bit awkward for an arena, although that didn't seem to stop him on other tracks :sexywink:

I also found out, by meeting up at the show with a dear old friend who I hadn't seen in years, that this was not in fact my first Prince concert. I saw him back in 1993 at Maple Leaf Gardens. How I did not remember this not only escapes but also sickens me...I guess I was probably smashed/flying at the time and forgot. Anyways she told me to go look in my old keepsakes box and sure enough, the ticket stub is still there. And...he played Insatiable that night. I'm an idiot for being an early 20s party animal and not savoring the moment (or at least sober enough to remember it :lol:).

Anyways back to this time around...I shot the opener (Gold) in it's entirety unmolested by security on my phone camera, and then put it away to enjoy the rest of the show, as I do at U2 and other shows. I danced like a friggin maniac, what a great night that was!! :dance: 1999 :dance:

Barely 90 mins. He did one encore and then there was great confusion as to whether the show was over or not. After a long wait, he finally came back for one more. More confusion as to whether the show was really over or not. The lights came back on partially, but not fully, so people just stood there for a long time sort of refusing to leave but not making nearly enough noise to encourage any artist (or in this case, The Artist) to return to the stage. I honestly felt like people were into it but not showing it, and he wasn't havin' any half-hearted shows of adoration. I thought he gave a couple of hints to that effect but cori didn't necessarily hear it that way.

All the hits.

It's funny, 90 mins is on the short side of normal by a lot of standards but we kept hearing about these epic Prince shows so it was hard not to feel short-changed. I think I was smiling and/or laughing through the whole show, though. His music sure makes people happy.

Cori joins joyful in her disappointment over the short setlist, but Cori thoroughly enjoyed the 90 minutes we did get.

From where I was, it seemed like the crowd was really into it - it was silly loud in there and I saw much dancing. I don't know what else he wanted from us. Maybe his feet hurt, dancing in those stilettos.

Seats were really great, which was a plus.

It was comments like "I think I feel better than you guys tonight" and something about how great the Canadian audiences were but that "we're gonna have to do it differently tonight" along with early references alluding to how he could go all night, then cutting it short, that makes me think he felt let down by the audience response. Where I sat people were dancing and loving it but not making enough noise, like too lazy to applaud and whoop it up, too lazy to sing along when he was asking us to. You must have been sitting with the Seattle people and I was with friggin Tacoma.

I no longer feel so strongly about Tacoma - we found decent parking this time, and were out of there and on the highway much faster than I had anticipated, which was delightful.

That place, though. God, the entire place just feels rickety. The seats, the walkways ... it's a weird, weird arena.

He did split the city shout-outs between both Tacoma and Seattle, so I was validated.

You must have been sitting with the Seattle people and I was with friggin Tacoma.

:lol:

It was almost as bad as our Albuquerque high school gym "venue."

Meanwhile, SEATAC gets my vote for best airport in the country. I just had Alaska wild salmon and found fancy marzipan for my marzipan-lovin' Christmas hostess. Not to mention how I didn't have to do my usual protest opt-out of the naked machine and did not get the feel-up either.

He went to an afterparty and played for two hours? Oh.

I see how it is.

It's a shame - had I not know we got an unusually short show, I would have been satisfied.

Yeah, as a first-timer, I certainly didn't mind hearing all the hits. The setlist was fine by me.

Although I did agree with the reviewer about the tease of some songs. The Darling Nikki one didn't bother me - I loved hearing those opening bars blaring out of the speakers, but the unnecessary 20 seconds of The Most Beautiful Girl In the World was stupid. (But I have to say, I'm glad we didn't get the whole thing, because I hate that song.)

I don't know how Prince finds the time to record 7362596459486 songs a year, troll the internet, and nail everyone in the world at all times.

Parade is such a weird album. It's more psychedelic and bizarre than Around The World In A Day, and it doesn't even have to play it up like that album does. Really remarkable stuff, even if it's a bit lacking in hits.

I know Around The World takes a lot of shit, but The Ladder is pantheon Prince, Condtion of the Heart one of his most underrated, beautiful tracks, and as you said, the hits are solid. Always loved Pop Life in particular. I enjoy this more than Lovesexy and Parade overall.

But yeah, Parade still impresses, and I think has a lot of support from hardcore Prince fans. How fucking gorgeous is Sometimes It Snows In April?

I don't know how Prince finds the time to record 7362596459486 songs a year, troll the internet, and nail everyone in the world at all times.

And don't forget going door to door spreading the message.

My theory is that there is more than one, just like the one time Princess Padmé Amidala had a double, Prince too has to have at least one.

I updated my blog (it's in my sig) with a full review but I'll just say that the show was absolutely spectacular and I'm so glad I went. Wish I'd only paid $30, like the rest of you, but it was worth every cent anyway. For a 53yo dwarf he's an incredible performer. I was standing from the very start (how the fuck can you stay seated at a Prince gig?!) and loved every second, from the funk-ified jams and covers to his bigger songs. Purple Rain was fucking magic, every bit as emotional as I hoped, loved singing the oooh ooh ooh refrain, though I wished it had gone for 40 minutes I felt a little shortchanged :reject: :lol:

Flavour Flav and Chuck D joined him on a stage, as did a young girl (like 9, 10) who Prince left on her own on the symbol to dance for like five minutes and then a middle-aged dude who had been dancing up a storm just off-stage. Here's the set he played.

Controversy
Sexy Dancer / Le Freak
(Theme Song From) "Which Way Is Up?"
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)
Play That Funky Music / 911 Is A Joke
Let's Go Crazy
Delirious
Let's Go Crazy (reprise)
Little Red Corvette (did this bit after it, "slowww down" with handclaps and deep red lights, was awesome, anyone know the song? or is it part of Red Corvette live?)
I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man
Nothing Compares 2 U
Take Me With U
Raspberry Beret
Cream
Cool / Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

Make You Feel My Love
Purple Rain

Medley:
When Doves Cry
Nasty Girl
Sign o' the Times
Hot Thing
Darling Nikki
Pop Life
A Love Bizarre

I Would Die 4 U
Kiss

Mountains
The Dance Electric

Love... Thy Will Be Done
Days Of Wild

Only other bummers were 10-15 minute waits between the penultimate and final encore, and then again after Days of Wild, before house lights came on and roadies started dismantling. Poor form, but otherwise, awesome stuff :up:

Nice. Sounds like an awesome show.

The long break ... that must be when he sits backstage and decides whether the city is worthy of another few songs, as he did the same thing in Tacoma.

Although we were not worthy of jack shit, apparently. YOU PURPLE BASTARD.

Glad you got a longer show!

Congrats on hearing I Could Never Take... which is arguably his finest hour. Also, judging by the live version of Days Of Wild found on Crystal Ball, that must have been pretty fucking sweet.

So weird that he covered the Dylan song, which is one of his weakest from the late 90's renaissance onward.

Back
Top Bottom