PRINCE IS GOD: The Official Thread - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #316
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:31 PM
I love that one, different style from him than usual, you just have to tolerate the conceptual interludes.

My other recs for anyone who’s not as versed in his discography:

The Gold Experience
Crystal Ball (absolute essential, best outtakes ever)
The Truth
One Night Alone...Live - The Aftershow
Musicology

lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #317
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:31 AM
Though already quickly mentioned in the Random Music thread, there is a new Prince collection coming in June. Titled 'Originals' it features 15 Prince recordings of songs that he wrote for others.
Prince / Originals | superdeluxeedition
Quote:
Among the better-known tunes are his demos of ‘Manic Monday’ (which he gave to The Bangles under the pseudonym Christopher); Sheila E’s ‘The Glamorous Life’, Martika’s ‘Love… Thy Will Be Done’ and The Family’s ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’.
That might be an interesting release, to hold us over until his back catalogue gets reissued in deluxe editions.

Speaking of his back catalogue, this past Friday saw the re-release of Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic and its companion remix album Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic. On CD this is combined with a DVD of his live performance Rave Un2 The Year 2000 in one Ultimate Rave package.
(I have to say though, having Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic myself, that this isn't one of Prince's essential records)

Popmartijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:48 PM   #318
Blue Crack Supplier

Speaking a bit more about Prince's back catalogue, as far as I understand there are still some (legal) issues with the Prince Estate and various parties that had (recording) contracts with Prince. This is likely the reason that deluxe reissues of his albums when he was with WB have not been released yet. It might be that the estate doesn't own the masters yet and still have to deliver some albums to WB before they can get ownership over them.
That said, one article I read about the new Prince release Originals also mentioned that a deluxe edition of 1999 might be scheduled for the end of the year.
Coming soon from Prince's vault: New 'Originals' album, documentaries and more - StarTribune.com
Quote:
“1999” reissue. Like the special edition of “Purple Rain” released last year, this 1982 double disc, featuring “Little Red Corvette” and “Delirious,” will receive a deluxe treatment with outtakes and alternate tracks. Due: During the holiday season.
It is for now the only source I've seen mentioning this, but here is hoping...
Old 04-28-2019, 05:37 PM   #319
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
Though already quickly mentioned in the Random Music thread, there is a new Prince collection coming in June. Titled 'Originals' it features 15 Prince recordings of songs that he wrote for others.
Prince / Originals | superdeluxeedition

That might be an interesting release, to hold us over until his back catalogue gets reissued in deluxe editions.

Speaking of his back catalogue, this past Friday saw the re-release of Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic and its companion remix album Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic. On CD this is combined with a DVD of his live performance Rave Un2 The Year 2000 in one Ultimate Rave package.
(I have to say though, having Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic myself, that this isn't one of Prince's essential records)
I’m really pumped for this! I’ve always wanted to hear a good quality Prince version of “Manic Monday”
Gzusfrk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #320
Blue Crack Supplier

In the category "Here, take my money!"...
https://www.musictap.com/2019/09/10/...0lp-dvd-boxes/
Quote:
On November [29], Warner Brothers Music will return to 1999 with a Super Deluxe package that will be reissued on 5CD/1DVD and 10LP/1DVD box sets. Both sets will feature new remastering for the classic album, as well as deliver a collection of vault tracks, promo mixes and B-sides, and a previously unreleased live performance set from a Detroit show on November 30, 1982. The DVD will provide video for his previously unreleased live set at The Summit in Houston, TX on December 29, 1982. The boxes are rounded out with a stuffed booklet of new liner notes, detailed Vault Tracks notes, rare photos, and copies of the lyrics in handwritten form.
All the B-sides, single edits and remixes. Two CDs with material from the vault. A live show on CD and one on DVD.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:14 PM   #321
Blue Crack Supplier

The wait for Sign O’ the Times continues...
Old 09-10-2019, 11:48 PM   #322
The Male

The mastering job on the Spotify version of Sign o the Times is a disgrace. That album deserves so much better.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:36 AM   #323
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post

The wait for Sign O’ the Times continues...
That as well. But at least something is coming now and gives confidence they can do something similar for Sign O' The Times in the future. My dream set would be one which would track the whole evolution from Dream Factory to Crystal Ball to Sign O' The Times, even if that would mean that identical versions of tracks would be repeated across some discs.

As for the upcoming 1999 deluxe set, when the first rumours came some weeks ago I was still a bit meh about it. Like you, I would prefer another era (SotT, or even Around The World In A Day or Parade). But now that I've seen the official announcement, I'm quite hyped up for this release.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #324
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
That as well. But at least something is coming now and gives confidence they can do something similar for Sign O' The Times in the future. My dream set would be one which would track the whole evolution from Dream Factory to Crystal Ball to Sign O' The Times, even if that would mean that identical versions of tracks would be repeated across some discs.
Yes, that's what I'm hoping they would do. The triple-album Crystal Ball is clearly the best incarnation of it (and what I use for my custom playlist), despite losing U Got The Look.

I'm assuming the concert film and some concert audio would be included as well.

Really hoping they don't wait for the 35th anniversary.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #325
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:31 PM
Seeing that 1999 isn’t a specific anniversary, hopefully that won’t be the case.

Of course, if they decide to look at ATWIAD and Parade first, it will be a few years anyway.
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #326
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Seeing that 1999 isn’t a specific anniversary, hopefully that won’t be the case.

Of course, if they decide to look at ATWIAD and Parade first, it will be a few years anyway.
Rumour is indeed that Parade might be the next super deluxe boxset. I also understand that they're digitizing the contents of the vault in mainly chronological order. So they might not have arrived at the SotT era yet (or completed it).

Tags
prince