PRINCE IS GOD: The Official Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eh. She's all right, I like some of her and No Doubt's songs, but I find her more irritating than epic.

/hater

But, regardless, I'm still totally jealous. Have an awesome time tonight!

I'd like to hear a full song once in a while, but otherwise I'm pretty damn jealous.

Three songs per Gwen album are excellent. The rest aren't.

This is the most generic setlist I've seen yet from this stand.

MEH.

MEH for you, awesome, I'm sure, for causal fans....and people that were actually there.

I just posted it for the fuck of it, wasn't really trying to say it was great, meh or otherwise. I was channeling Mrs. Springsteen, really.

I've been checking the setlists for every show, so FWIW I'm not just hating.

But opening with three straight well-known songs is not Prince's usual modus operandi, nor is playing five covers in a row. There are only four songs on that list that I would consider "obscure" or even non-singles, and if you look at his other setlists he usually throws a lot more curveballs.

If I went to see him a second time and got a short, populist show like that I'd be very bummed, even if the tix were only $10.

Hopefully it won't happen again; I'm going to "fly stand-by" this Thursday with all my friends who weren't able to go last time.

I just saw him a week ago. I don't want to see a short set of the same stuff I just watched, and to be honest my favorite parts of his show are his long jams, not giving the sheep what they want.

:shrug:

Prince is damned good at doing whatever the fuck he wants to do. So if Prince decides he wants to do a bunch of hits at a show, where does this "sheep" business come into play?

This is a guy who has such a need to express himself through his eclectic work that he's known for playing afterparties after many of his shows. We're talking like 4-5 hours of performing a night. And from what I've witnessed firsthand and on bootlegs, he seems to be most comfortable when he can just jam with his bandmates. If you look at the setlists from this Los Angeles stand, you'll see how unconventional his tendencies are, and I think NSW can attest to this simply from how he opened up the show we attended.

It's just very odd to see him shift gears and play to the cheap seats in this fashion.

It's just very odd to see him shift gears and play to the cheap seats in this fashion.

If his sets are truly varied, this was bound to happen eventually. It's the nature of his approach to occasionally receive a "shitty," conservative set. I highly doubt this will be a trend for him.

BLIND SHEEP.

For comparison's sake, look at last Saturday night:

D.M.S.R.
Pop Life
Musicology
(with Prince & The Band interpolation)
Extraordinary
Mountains
(with Sheila E.)
Everyday People
(with Sheila E. and Larry Graham)
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)
(with Sheila E. and Larry Graham)
Sweet Thing
(with Chaka Khan)
The Glamorous Life
(Sheila E. lead vocals, with Soul Sacrifice coda)
Raspberry Beret
Cream
Cool / Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
Make You Feel My Love
Misty Blue
(Shelby J. lead vocals)
Let's Go Crazy
Delirious
(with Let's Go Crazy Reprise)
Little Red Corvette
Purple Rain

Encore:
When Doves Cry / Nasty Girl / Sign 'O The Times / The Most Beautiful Girl In The World / Darling Nikki / Single Ladies / Hot Thing / I Would Die 4 U
(Sampler medley)
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Insatiable
Scandalous
Adore

Encore 2:
Kiss

Encore 3:
Sometimes It Snows In April
Dreamer
(with Welcome 2 America interpolation)
Controversy
(with Housequake interpolation)

Encore 4:
A Love Bizarre
(with Sheila E.)
Play That Funky Music
(with I Like Funky Music interpolation)
Hollywood Swinging
(changed to Inglewood Swinging)

I mean, that is fucking unreal.

Like I said....he's at his best, for me, when he's not sticking to "the hits" and covers.....the show I saw included several sublime moments involving jams and deeper cuts.....but, much like when 50,000 people go nuts when they hear fucking "Pride", Prince is gonna play "Let's Go Crazy" and a lot of people in attendance will be psyched. Doesn't make them sheep, just makes them casual fans.

I'm not saying he shouldn't play ANY crowd pleasers. Let's Go Crazy comes off great. It's just that some of those singles don't do very much in the live setting, and I think the fact that he buries so many of them in medleys shows you how he feels about playing all of them.

That setlist you posted just seemed very rote and atypical of this performer.

DrEvazan.jpg

The title of this thread is accurate. The show was incredible. It was my first Prince show and will not be my last. He opened with D.M.S.R. which got this funk filled show off to a roaring start. Prince danced, strutted, sang and basically owned that stage. He did 5 encores with the last turning into a big dance party.

Gwen Stefani joined Prince for So Far, So Pleased. It was a ton of fun. Nikka Costa joined him for a cover of Whole Lotta Love.

This was also by far the best LA crowd I've ever seen. Singing, Dancing, chanting it was great.

So, I might go again next week.

April 30th Setlist

This is the beauty of not really knowing anything but a few of the 80s hits. I had no expectations, so I enjoyed the show.

Being hardcore kinda fucks things up, doesn't it?

Not for me, no. I attend a fuckload of U2 shows and enjoy myself every time despite wanting to hit some happy, jumping idiot during "Elevation", etc.

:)

The title of this thread is accurate. The show was incredible. It was my first Prince show and will not be my last. He opened with D.M.S.R. which got this funk filled show off to a roaring start. Prince danced, strutted, sang and basically owned that stage. He did 5 encores with the last turning into a big dance party.

Gwen Stefani joined Prince for So Far, So Pleased. It was a ton of fun. Nikka Costa joined him for a cover of Whole Lotta Love.

This was also by far the best LA crowd I've ever seen. Singing, Dancing, chanting it was great.

So, I might go again next week.

April 30th Setlist

Awesome!

Like a friend told me, it was like attending a huge party and Prince just happened to be playing.

Glad you enjoyed it, but then again.....was there ever a doubt? :)

Jungle Love "with No Doubt and Gavin Rossdale".

Uh ... okay? I love that song, but that's an odd pairing. I think it's the "Gavin Rossdale" part that's throwing me off.

"Hey, Prince, can Gavin come out for this one? Please??? Come on. He's so lonely ..."

Awesome!

Like a friend told me, it was like attending a huge party and Prince just happened to be playing.

Glad you enjoyed it, but then again.....was there ever a doubt? :)

That is an apt description. And never any doubt.

Jungle Love "with No Doubt and Gavin Rossdale".

Uh ... okay? I love that song, but that's an odd pairing. I think it's the "Gavin Rossdale" part that's throwing me off.

"Hey, Prince, can Gavin come out for this one? Please??? Come on. He's so lonely ..."

They didn't sing, it was a big VIP dance party although Adrian was playing some drums. Also on stage for the dance party were Kirstie Allie and her dancing dude.

So do I.

But do you bitch and moan and threaten to sell your tickets when the setlist isn't tailored just to your tastes?

Me neither.

Yeah, because wanting current songs to be played instead of five songs from a 10 year old album that don't complement the stage show translates as "tailored just to my taste".

:rolleyes:

I just bought this at a discount warehouse for $1.99. I can hardly believe it exists, but it actually doesn't surprise me that I own this now.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Interactive

Apparently, I have access to an exclusive club now. I hope I don't have to just discuss Prince with George Clinton and Miles Davis. I can also punch Eric Clapton in the face if I so desire.

So worth two bucks.

Back
Top Bottom