PRINCE IS GOD: The Official Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll look for a download.

I love Purple Rain ... but only the performance parts, especially the last 3. So honestly, I'll just take the last 15 minutes of the movie and be perfectly happy.

I'm not sure which I love more - the song or the rehearsal footage.

Also, fuck the scourge that is fentanyl.

I saw my friend change this to his pic on Facebook but I had been waiting so long for this to exist and assumed it never would that I thought it was just artwork. Can't wait!

Great to have, but they should have just included it on the Purple Rain reissue.

I believe that they hadn't found the recording yet when they released the Purple Rain reissue. That reissue was agreed upon, compiled and ready to go before Prince passed away, so it came out as is.

But, it seems this song might be a teaser for an album that is coming out later this year, September 28th.
Prince Album of Previously Unreleased Material Due in September – Variety
Last week, the release of “Nothing Compares 2 U” was the first piece of music to come from our collaboration with the estate, and now we’re working on a release for the fall — a full-length album.

Is it from a specific time, or is it a compilation of material from across years or decades?
This will be more time-specific. Michael Howe, who’s been working with us on the archive, has done a tremendous job of finding some special pieces of work, and one of the pieces that he found, all of us fell in love with it and decided this was special enough for fans to hear. So we’re putting the final touches on it — it’ll come in the fall.

I really hope they are not going to make like Hendrix's estate and release a new compilation every few months with one demo or "undiscovered" track tacked on.

I really hope they are not going to make like Hendrix's estate and release a new compilation every few months with one demo or "undiscovered" track tacked on.

If he was actually as prolific in the studio as the legends made him out to be, then I doubt it.

I just hope the right people are going over that stuff. The Vault caretakers, Warner Bros., the Estate, Comerica, whoever.

They missed a big opportunity for a 30th anniversary set of Sign O' The Times last year. I'm interested in anything that the estate releases, but my biggest wish is for people to hear the original triple-album he submitted to the record company under the "Crystal Ball" title.

I believe that they hadn't found the recording yet when they released the Purple Rain reissue. That reissue was agreed upon, compiled and ready to go before Prince passed away, so it came out as is.

But, it seems this song might be a teaser for an album that is coming out later this year, September 28th.

Probably true re: the recording, although it doesn’t sound like it’s part of the upcoming release, which appears to be a specific piece.

Prince Cover Act - $30 A Ticket?

A self-implicit reminder to be thankful that your favorite band is still alive and kicking it, even if you don't always like their decisions.

I'm seeing a U2 cover band tomorrow night, free of charge. A Prince Cover act? Starting at $30!

"Some days are honest, some days are not
Some days you're thankful for what you've got"Screenshot_20180816-111634.jpegScreenshot_20180816-111611.jpeg

I love that one, different style from him than usual, you just have to tolerate the conceptual interludes.

My other recs for anyone who’s not as versed in his discography:

The Gold Experience
Crystal Ball (absolute essential, best outtakes ever)
The Truth
One Night Alone...Live - The Aftershow
Musicology

Though already quickly mentioned in the Random Music thread, there is a new Prince collection coming in June. Titled 'Originals' it features 15 Prince recordings of songs that he wrote for others.
Prince / Originals | superdeluxeedition
Among the better-known tunes are his demos of ‘Manic Monday’ (which he gave to The Bangles under the pseudonym Christopher); Sheila E’s ‘The Glamorous Life’, Martika’s ‘Love… Thy Will Be Done’ and The Family’s ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’.

That might be an interesting release, to hold us over until his back catalogue gets reissued in deluxe editions.

Speaking of his back catalogue, this past Friday saw the re-release of Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic and its companion remix album Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic. On CD this is combined with a DVD of his live performance Rave Un2 The Year 2000 in one Ultimate Rave package.
(I have to say though, having Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic myself, that this isn't one of Prince's essential records)

Speaking a bit more about Prince's back catalogue, as far as I understand there are still some (legal) issues with the Prince Estate and various parties that had (recording) contracts with Prince. This is likely the reason that deluxe reissues of his albums when he was with WB have not been released yet. It might be that the estate doesn't own the masters yet and still have to deliver some albums to WB before they can get ownership over them.
That said, one article I read about the new Prince release Originals also mentioned that a deluxe edition of 1999 might be scheduled for the end of the year.
Coming soon from Prince's vault: New 'Originals' album, documentaries and more - StarTribune.com
“1999” reissue. Like the special edition of “Purple Rain” released last year, this 1982 double disc, featuring “Little Red Corvette” and “Delirious,” will receive a deluxe treatment with outtakes and alternate tracks. Due: During the holiday season.

It is for now the only source I've seen mentioning this, but here is hoping...

Though already quickly mentioned in the Random Music thread, there is a new Prince collection coming in June. Titled 'Originals' it features 15 Prince recordings of songs that he wrote for others.
Prince / Originals | superdeluxeedition

That might be an interesting release, to hold us over until his back catalogue gets reissued in deluxe editions.

Speaking of his back catalogue, this past Friday saw the re-release of Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic and its companion remix album Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic. On CD this is combined with a DVD of his live performance Rave Un2 The Year 2000 in one Ultimate Rave package.
(I have to say though, having Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic myself, that this isn't one of Prince's essential records)

I’m really pumped for this! I’ve always wanted to hear a good quality Prince version of “Manic Monday”

In the category "Here, take my money!"...
https://www.musictap.com/2019/09/10...eissues-in-remastered-5cd-dvd-10lp-dvd-boxes/
On November [29], Warner Brothers Music will return to 1999 with a Super Deluxe package that will be reissued on 5CD/1DVD and 10LP/1DVD box sets. Both sets will feature new remastering for the classic album, as well as deliver a collection of vault tracks, promo mixes and B-sides, and a previously unreleased live performance set from a Detroit show on November 30, 1982. The DVD will provide video for his previously unreleased live set at The Summit in Houston, TX on December 29, 1982. The boxes are rounded out with a stuffed booklet of new liner notes, detailed Vault Tracks notes, rare photos, and copies of the lyrics in handwritten form.

All the B-sides, single edits and remixes. Two CDs with material from the vault. A live show on CD and one on DVD. :drool:

The mastering job on the Spotify version of Sign o the Times is a disgrace. That album deserves so much better.

:sigh:

The wait for Sign O’ the Times continues...

That as well. But at least something is coming now and gives confidence they can do something similar for Sign O' The Times in the future. My dream set would be one which would track the whole evolution from Dream Factory to Crystal Ball to Sign O' The Times, even if that would mean that identical versions of tracks would be repeated across some discs.

As for the upcoming 1999 deluxe set, when the first rumours came some weeks ago I was still a bit meh about it. Like you, I would prefer another era (SotT, or even Around The World In A Day or Parade). But now that I've seen the official announcement, I'm quite hyped up for this release.

That as well. But at least something is coming now and gives confidence they can do something similar for Sign O' The Times in the future. My dream set would be one which would track the whole evolution from Dream Factory to Crystal Ball to Sign O' The Times, even if that would mean that identical versions of tracks would be repeated across some discs.

Yes, that's what I'm hoping they would do. The triple-album Crystal Ball is clearly the best incarnation of it (and what I use for my custom playlist), despite losing U Got The Look.

I'm assuming the concert film and some concert audio would be included as well.

Really hoping they don't wait for the 35th anniversary.

Seeing that 1999 isn’t a specific anniversary, hopefully that won’t be the case.

Of course, if they decide to look at ATWIAD and Parade first, it will be a few years anyway.

Rumour is indeed that Parade might be the next super deluxe boxset. I also understand that they're digitizing the contents of the vault in mainly chronological order. So they might not have arrived at the SotT era yet (or completed it).

Well, the time is here now. A super deluxe edition of Sign O' The Times was announced today, onsale at 25 September!
https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/prince-sign-o-the-times-reissue/

Prince‘s 1987 album Sign O’ The Times will be reissued by Warner Records in September and amongst the formats are two enormous CD and vinyl super deluxe editions that offer a massive 63 previously unreleased tracks, including 45 studio ‘vault’ tracks. Read on for all the details…

Getting straight down to it, the super deluxe edition box sets comprise the following:

CD1 or LP 1- Sign O’ The Times (Remastered)
CD2 or LP 2 – Sign O’ The Times (Remastered)
CD3 or LP 3 & 4 – Singles Mixes / Edits / B-Sides (Remastered)
CD4 or LP 5 & 6 – Vault Tracks (Unreleased)
CD5 or LP 7 & 8 – Vault Tracks (Unreleased)
CD6 or LP 9 & 10 – Vault Tracks (Unreleased)
CD8 or 9 / LPs 11-13 – Live In Utrecht June 20th 1987 (Unreleased)
DVD – Live at Paisley Park December 31st 1987 (Unreleased Sign O’ The Times show ft Miles Davis)
The 45 vault tracks are full of unreleased gems including a 1979 version of ‘I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man‘, two unreleased versions of ‘Strange Relationship‘ (including a Shep Pettibone club remix!), alternate versions of ‘The Ballad of Dorothy Parker‘ and ‘Forever in My Life‘ and a fantastic amount of songs that Prince simply never issued, many of which were destined for three aborted albums conceived in 1986: The Dream Factory, Camille and Crystal Ball. These songs include ‘Rebirth of the Flesh‘, two completely different versions of ‘Witness 4 the Prosecution‘ and ‘Wonderful Day‘ (again two versions, one of which is a 12-inch remix).

I have to say the price for the 8CD+DVD set is quite steep (let alone if someone wants to go for the 13LP+DVD set), but I'm already :drool:.

It looks good, but I’m a bit disappointed that it doesn’t include all the original Crystal Ball tracks, regardless if they were released elsewhere or not.

At least Rebirth Of The Flesh is on there. Finally.

It looks good, but I’m a bit disappointed that it doesn’t include all the original Crystal Ball tracks, regardless if they were released elsewhere or not.

At least Rebirth Of The Flesh is on there. Finally.

Yeah, this is bullshit. I thought we’d be getting Crystal Ball as originally intended. There was a track order and it was submitted to the record company.

We can always customize playlists but it’s a shame the estate didn’t legitimize the original version with this set.

Back
Top Bottom