Primal Scream appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMP

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Well, the name of the thread says it pretty clear: If you don't appreciate don't even bother to come in.

But let's talk about what matters:

Primals Scream is a Scottish band formed in 1982. They had several line-ups since them but the vocalist Bobby Gillespie always been a constant.
The first album, Sonic Flower Groove came in 1986 to poor reviews and actually is not a great album. In 1989 they started to show their creativity with Primal Scream, their self-titled hard rock album. Unfortunately, again, the album was dismissed by critics and now fans were confused and disapointed by this new sound. But as it turns out, Primal Scream, maybe not a great, maybe not even a good album, was hiding something that would start a new era in this band's history.
By 1990, the band was already familiar with the acid house scene attending raves and taking ecstasy. In one of those raves the band met a DJ, and gave to him a copy of "I'm Losing More Than I'll Ever Have", a track from their poor recieved album Primal Scream, to remix for one of his shows.
To make long story short they ended up with "Loaded", that became their first hit and started a change in Primal Scream's style that would result in the masterpiece Screamadelica. This 1991 album, winner of the first Mercury Prize recieved glowing reviews and is still hailed on these days appearing in several "best of" lists, especially in U.K. The album produced other hits as well like "Movin' on Up" and "Come Together". In 1992 the band released the Dixie Narco EP.
The Scream returned in 1994 with the Stones-infuenced Give Out But Don't Give Up. Again, a departure in the band's sound. The album recieved mixed reviews, but to me, it's their best. The album produced one of their biggest hits to date with "Rocks" reaching #7 in U.K..
Vanishing Point is the title of their 1997 album. The band now had a new line-up that included former Stone Roses bassist, Mani. The arrival of Mani was a crucial point in the group's career which almost ended after Give Out. The album had a dance-dub rhythm. Like Screamadelica, but a lot more darker this time. Again, Primal Scream recieved acclaim. Highlights from the album included "Kowalski", the first single, which hit #8 in the U.K. charts. The If They Move Kill'Em EP was released in 1998 and produced in collaboration with Kevin Shields who in the future would become a semi-member of the band.
"Swastika Eyes" preceeded Scream's new and heaviest album, XTRMNTR. Released in 2000, the new album showed Primal Scream again in exploring unfamiliar territory and again recieving praise from critics and fans. Also, the lyrics were more political this time. The 21th century seemed to have started well for the band. Following in 2002, came Evil Heat, another heavy electronic album that continued the path established in XTRMNTR.
Almost four years passed and in 2006 Primal Scream released "Country Girl", a euphoric blues rock tune that went on to became their biggest hit, hitting #5 on the charts and showing that Primal Scream still had commercial power. The album, Riot City Blues, followed the same year with postive to mixed reviews, but again Primal Scream was doing an unexpected and interesting sound.
Only two years after Riot, Primal was releasing another new album, Beautiful Future, a take at the now dead Britpop genre, but with Primal Scream's touch, of course. Again, another great album that recieved positive reviews.

And that's it.... they didn't created new sounds neither tried to do it. They got things that already existed and used them to make excellent and brillant rock albums. Never making an album that was too similar to the previous and doing that very well is what makes me think that they are to me, the most daring band after U2 and they deserve all the praise and success that they never got in such large proportions as U2 did.

Sorry bout my english, btw.
Say what you think
Cheers

MrMacPhisto

I actually had your exact avatar for a month or so last summer.

That said, Screamadelica is great.

I have the Dixie Narco EP (great 10-minute version of Screamadelica on that one). And also an album you failed to mention: Echo Dek. It's the dub-version of Vanishing Point. Only got it somewhere last year and haven't listened to it that much. But I liked what I heard, a nice dub album. :up:

I have the Dixie Narco EP (great 10-minute version of Screamadelica on that one). And also an album you failed to mention: Echo Dek. It's the dub-version of Vanishing Point. Only got it somewhere last year and haven't listened to it that much. But I liked what I heard, a nice dub album. :up:

Damn! I knew I was forgetting something!! :doh:
I have it, it's a really nice dub album. Great songs on that EP
And the Dixie-Narco EP.... Screamadelica... :drool:

Just for fun... that's how I would rank their albums:

#1) Give Out But Don't Give Up
#2) XTRMNTR
#3) Screamadelica
#4) Vanishing Point
#5) Beautiful Future
#6) Riot City Blues
#7) Evil Heat
#8) Echo Dek
#9) Primal Scream
#10) Sonic Flower Groove

2013 is just about my favourite song of the year so far. A brilliant 9 minutes for me, a good video too.

On the other hand, I couldn't really get into It's Alright, It's OK.

"2013" is good. For the first 4 minutes. 9 minutes of the same shit over and over reeks of self indulgence.

"It's Alright, It's OK" is their sweet-spot. Good stuff.

This band has never been as talented as Bobby thinks they are. But they are talented.

Back
Top Bottom