Porcupine Tree - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #121
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:34 PM
Why the hell do they not play Blackest Eyes at every show?

Old 09-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #122
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:34 PM
I hear they have played it to death every tour that they've had the song. As much as I like it, I prefer everything Cleveland got in the second set over Blackest Eyes.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #123
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:34 AM
Guess which band is coming to Australia in February 2010!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:22 PM   #124
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Guess which band is coming to Australia in February 2010!

That's great, Ax! It would be nice if they would at least once come here to South Africa. But I don't know if they have any fans here or what.

The Incident has grown on me even more now. But I still think it's a wee bit uneven. Still skipping Occam's Razor and Degree Zero Of Liberty but loving most of the remaining tracks!.. even something short like Your Unpleasant Family. Not a fan of Bonnie The Cat though. I think that talk singing/rap thing Wilson does may be my least favourite aspect of Porcupine Tree, though I didn't mind it as much on Open Car from Deadwing.

But this album is still below FOABP, Stupid Dream and Deadwing for me, but above In Absentia.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:37 AM   #125
Vocal parasite

They're playing India in December (one gig in Mumbai), so I think there's hope for anywhere right now ...! I can't believe they're hitting Australia twice in under 2 years.

I eagerly await PT's tour of Cameroon, Togo, and Cape Verde.

I think my album rankings are something like this right now:

1. Stupid Dream
2. Lightbulb Sun
3. Deadwing
4. In Absentia
5. Recordings
6. The Incident
7. The Sky Moves Sideways
8. Fear Of A Blank Planet
9. Signify
10. Up The Downstair
11. On The Sunday Of Life

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #126
ONE
love, blood, life

I can! I knew they would. I'm just itching for them to come back to the States, but I doubt we will get the full first disc of The Incident again, as much as I would love it. I suppose that makes room for other stuff.

My album rankings look like this at present:

1. Deadwing
2. The Incident
3. Stupid Dream
4. Lightbulb Sun
5. In Absentia
6. Fear of a Blank Planet
7. Up The Downstair
8. The Sky Moves Sideways
9. Signify
10. On The Sunday of Life ...

Really pleased with The Incident still (maybe A LOT biased since seeing it live.), but I still love Deadwing absolutely best. A lot of the other albums keep moving around. Ones I previously regarded a lot higher, I'm finding I'm not so thrilled with now. My top three are pretty solid for the most part (read as: I don't think Deadwing and Stupid Dream are really going much of anywhere.), but we'll see how The Incident fares for me this time next year.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:50 PM   #127
Vocal parasite

I'm fucking digging the setlists right now. They better play Stars Die at one of the shows in Australia, at least!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-04-2009, 11:31 PM   #128
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah, I saw some got Stars Die ... and then became insanely jealous. But I still love the setlist Cleveland got without it. I was really glad we got Mother and Child Divided instead of The Sound Of Muzak. I overplayed that song for myself and MaCD is just made of epic win.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #129
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
They're playing India in December (one gig in Mumbai), so I think there's hope for anywhere right now ...!
What??? Oh wow! I knew they had some fans in India because a friend of mine has mentioned them but I did not expect them to tour over there so soon. Generally bands seem to come to India after they're super huge. But I guess PT will never be super huge. Anyway, nice! Just wish I was there.

Btw, looking at both your album rankings, it seems I should get Lightbulb Sun next.

Btw 2, I'm surprised how low ..Blank Planet has fared on both your lists.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #130
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
What??? Oh wow! I knew they had some fans in India because a friend of mine has mentioned them but I did not expect them to tour over there so soon. Generally bands seem to come to India after they're super huge. But I guess PT will never be super huge. Anyway, nice! Just wish I was there.

Btw, looking at both your album rankings, it seems I should get Lightbulb Sun next.

Btw 2, I'm surprised how low ..Blank Planet has fared on both your lists.
They're just doing some festival in India.

Regarding Lightbulb Sun; I dunno. I like it a lot now, but when I first heard it, I was less than impressed. It rated way lower once upon a time for me, but it seems some people rate it pretty highly, so, you might do well to get that one. Then again, I don't know what you have and don't have, so I really can't say for sure.

As for FoaBP; I love the album, but I don't feel it's as strong as some of their other output.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #131
Blue Crack Supplier

So far I have Stupid Dream, In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear Of A Blank Planet, The Incident and Stars Die: The Delirium Years collection.

If I had to rank those albums:

1. Deadwing
2. Stupid Dream
3. Fear Of A Blank Planet
4. The Incident
5. In Absentia

As for Blank Planet, some of the lyrics do bug me especially the one about being in a band wearing black and music is crap, so I change it slightly when I'm singing...

He's in a band
a chain metal gang
the clothes are all black
the music is crap

Being a huge Pearl Jam fan, I cannot stand for the original lyric.

Otherwise I think Blank Planet is, for the most part, brilliant albeit a tad repetitive.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:48 AM   #132
ONE
love, blood, life

Since you're familiar with Stupid Dream and obviously like it a lot, then yes, I would recommend Lightbulb Sun next. I'm kinda surprised you rated In Absentia low though. There's a few songs on there I am not too particularly crazy about, but I like most of it. It's usually considered the crown achievement, but I really don't see THAT big of a fuss over it.

As far as the Pearl Jam lyric goes, I'm not really offended by it.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:31 AM   #133
Blue Crack Supplier

In Absentia is too, I don't know if it's depressing or just less upbeat musically than the ones I've ranked highly. I tend to give more importance to music than lyrics. That said, I do love Blackest Eyes and Trains to death!

This is without a doubt my favourite set of opening lyrics by them:

A mother sings a lullaby to a child
Sometime in the future the boy goes wild
And all his nerves are feeling some kind of energy

Musically, I suppose it is Even Less.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #134
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
I tend to give more importance to music than lyrics.
That makes two of us then. Although these days, I am paying a bit more attention to lyrics than I used to.

Their other albums are definitely worth checking out though. I'm also very much into some of Steven Wilson's side projects too, but liking Porcupine Tree isn't necessarily a prerequisite to getting into them ... a lot of fans who try are sorely disappointed, expecting more PT-ish sounds!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #135
Vocal parasite

I like the Pearl Jam lyric. It amuses me. The only thing I really don't like on FOABP is Sleep Together. That's a crap song.

As far as Lightbulb Sun goes, now that I look back on it, I really don't understand why it took so long to hit me. Tracks such as The Rest Will Flow, Hatesong, Russia On Ice, Where We Will Be, and Feel So Low are extremely good. I do, however, think the re-recorded version of She's Moved On that's included on the US edition of Deadwing is considerably superior to the original on Lightbulb Sun.

And I cannot sing the praises of Recordings enough. It's an "album" of songs from the Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun era, some b-sides and some unreleased. The full version of Even Less is definitive. Buying New Soul and Disappear are two of the band's finest tracks. I'd fucking kill for them to do Buying New Soul at one of the Aussie gigs (why yes, I am going to all three).

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
porcupine tree