Porcupine Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can someone recommend me where to start with other SW projects? His recent solo album, Blackfield, No-Man, Incredible Expanding Mindfuck (I'm partial to this one, only because it is probably the greatest name for a band I've ever heard)...?

I'd go with Blackfield first. Both albums are fantastic and are probably the closest you'll get to the PT experience. And while he tries different things on it, his solo album is a good bet.

No-Man is very good, but quite mellow and atmospheric, a bit ambient at times.

The name says it all with IEM. Some very experimental stuff there, not unlike some early PT recordings.

Definitely go with Blackfield first. If you love the Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun era, or later stuff like Trains, Lazarus, and Sentimental, then it should suit you down to the ground.

As far as No-Man goes, Tim Bowness's vocals may take some getting used to. I usually wish for SW's vocals; in fact, the Schoolyard Ghosts album is the first No-Man album that I really think is better for having Bowness on vocals.

I think SW's solo album does a good job of bringing together bits of all his different bands, but at its heart I think it's the sound of PT making a No-Man album.

Oh yeah, and The Gospel According To The IEM makes listening to Incredible Expanding Mindfuck totally worth it.

Long overdue concert reviews!

Orlando:

Outside, I met John Wesley! First time I ever met a musician ... I meant to tell him how much I loved Shiver, but I froze up. Fail.

The stage was HUGE. I would say that it's at least six foot tall. I think I put a crick in my neck looking up. I ended up in a bad spot on the rail. Not gonna lie, Bigelf's sound kinda sucked in this venue. I think it was a bad mix. It was my real introduction to them. They were okay. Near the end, Damon Fox shouted "Nice hat!" at me (I was wearing Mickey ears) and the crowd were really obnoxious.

The crowd got even more obnoxious when Porcupine Tree got on stage. And I was stuck in front of SW's keyboard, so I couldn't see Richard OR Gavin. Not a happy camper about that! The sound was pretty good, at least from what I remembered in comparison to Cleveland, but the audience really sucked. They were wild, in a bad way. It's what you'd have expected out of Miami, to be honest. Really annoying screeching, yelling of how cute Steven Wilson was (thus mortifying the crap out of him), and one guy yelled "This isn't worth $25!" ... comment which really shit SW off. He later quipped that Bigelf alone were worth $25 and made comments about us front row people spending insane amounts of money on his stuff. :lol:

The setlist was more or less what I expected. I didn't like it as much as Cleveland's, but I would never ever say it was a bad gig. Far from it.

Setlist:
The Incident (Disc One)

The Start of Something Beautiful
Russia on Ice (Part One)
Anesthetize (Part Two)
Lazarus
Way Out Of Here
Normal
Bonnie The Cat

The Sound of Muzak
Trains

I'm really disappointed that SW didn't have his video screen guitar this time. That would have been a wicked addition to Russia On Ice, where I hear he used to break it out at last fall (he used it during Drawing the Line in Cleveland.).

After the gig, Bigelf's roadie was worshipping the trashcan, and most people scattered afterward. We stuck around for a while, and met Gavin! He came out and greeted us, talked a little about King Crimson and signed stuff for us. He was very nice if a little shy. :up:

Miami:

Day two! It's hotter in Miami than Orlando. At least that was the case Saturday afternoon. We got there towards the evening time with little time to spare. One person was outside, but when we returned with our food, one person has exploded into a good 30 or 40, possibly more. Some of the people there didn't even know that Bigelf were opening and were delighted to hear this. The ROABP ticket holders were filed into a line that one of my traveling friends put me into the front of. We were ushered into the venue a little early and got to see Bigelf soundchecking. They looked a little surprised but welcomed us and continued about their business. Sounding good, guys ...

We ordered some drinks, and others soon flooded into the venue. I had to fight to keep my spot at the rail between Damon's keyboard and the bassist (which happened to be to the left of SW's keyboard, where I had a clear view of Richard after the equipment switch). This crowd was surprisingly more mellow than the previous night's.

Bigelf came back out and played a different set than the night before and the sound was incredible. Everything was mixed perfectly and they were amazing. After their set was over, Porcupine Tree came out and their sound was also spot on. Much better than the night before, and a more behaved crowd. Strange.

At one point, SW asked how many were at their first Tree show. A lot of loud cheers resounded, but the front row was dead quiet. SW looked at us and said, "Everyone but these guys? They've seen us 400 times now ..." :laugh:

Amazing set, amazing crowd and ... a wedding proposal on stage before trains?

Setlist:
The Incident (Disc One)

The Start of Something Beautiful
Russia On Ice (Part one)
Anesthetize (Part Two)
Lazarus
Strip The Soul
Remember Me Lover
Blackest Eyes

The Sound of Muzak
Trains

Strip The Soul/.3 for the WIIIIIIIN. That's all I have to say about that. This would've been perfect if they'd used Bonnie The Cat instead of Remember Me Lover, but it was really nice to finally hear Remember Me Lover live, so I really have no complaint. And Blackest Eyes was a welcomed surprise that had me jumping up and down for joy. I had just commented earlier in the day that I wanted to see it live.

After the gig, I met Damon Fox, who once again, commented on my hat and posed with me and my friend.

Wes came back out again to greet us and we formed a line to see him. I got into the line since I went retarded the first time I met him. Richard came out as I was halfway through the line, but I waited. He signed my copy of Illosaarirock and asked me if I wanted another photo. Bless Wes!

Richard uses my Sharpies in rotation ... he kept thinking they were dying. I later confirmed for myself they were fine. The digipaks just don't get along with Sharpies.

Smile and steal my hat!

Tampa:

I fell asleep on the ride to Tampa. It was a long haul, and the hotel in Miami had their air con running the entire night, so I had trouble sleeping. Listened to much Porcupine Tree, The Church, Pure Reason Revolution and others. :up:

We made it to the city towards the evening time and gathered at a quaint little restaurant that soon exploded with PT/related t-shirts and wristbands. The poor staff looked really stressed out at the amount of people in the restaurant. Not what you'd expect from a Sunday evening I guess!

Since this show was reserved seating, we were free to wait around for however long, but we soon rushed to the theater when it began to pour ran. I was led into the theater with my ticket, a row A, center aisle section. The woman who showed me to my seat whispered "Wow, someone got a good seat!" at me out of earshot of others who were having their tickets inspected.

Bigelf's set was great once again and wonderful sound. Did I mention what a beautiful venue the Tampa Theatre really is? If you looked up, the ceiling was a night sky with glimmering stars. Even SW looked up at it once in awe.

PT's show was different this time in that they didn't have their projection set up, so they originally weren't going to play The Incident in full but SW commented on it saying they hoped the music was good enough without the projections. Good enough? I'd say better! You didn't have those distracting images going on in the background, just the standard lighting rigs. Don't get me wrong, I think the projections are neat, but it was refreshing to see them without them for a change.

The one thing that really sucked is we were stuck sitting. Those of us in the front row stood for all of Occam's Razor and part of The Blind House before fans father back began cussing us out. Towards the Intermission, Wes was having gear problems that took longer than the actual break to fix, so we lost a song slot due to this.

The band came back out after the problem was addressed, and SW declared "This isn't a James Taylor concert, so stand, as I know it is your preference." Everyone shot out of their seats after that, except a few people. The second set was stunning. I screamed when they opened it with Blackest Eyes. I was more and more thrilled with each song, up until Stars Die, when I just about cried. Insert cornflakes smiley here.

The Incident (Disc One)

Blackest Eyes
Buying New Soul
Hatesong
Stars Die
Anesthetize (Part Two)
Normal
Halo

Trains

Songs like Buying New Soul and Hatesong were two songs I selected in the car and said I wished I could hear live. So to actually have them the same day was really something else. I headbanged, thrashed and screamed like no other during this show. I got glances from Wes, SW and Colin when I was particularly energetic.

Amazing gig. Truly. Wes got very enthusiastic cheering for him in his hometown. It was easily the best I've attended so far. After the gig, I ran into Damon Fox again when I was at the merch stand. He greeted me again and laughed a little at my hat. Then we went over to the bar next door per Wes's invite, where I got carded for the damn ears, lulz, and we hung around there for a little while. His band was there, talking to some of the fans. We soon left ... some of us had to get back to reality the next day!

Next up: Radio City Music Hall. Bring it on!

Can someone recommend me where to start with other SW projects? His recent solo album, Blackfield, No-Man, Incredible Expanding Mindfuck (I'm partial to this one, only because it is probably the greatest name for a band I've ever heard)...?

Here are some good ones to start off with:

Blackfield II
Bass Communion I or Bass Communion II
No Man: Flowermouth, Schoolyard Ghosts
Steven Wilson's solo album, of course

I haven't heard Incredible Expanding Mindfuck yet, but I'm curious to hear what they sound like. If it's anything like Bass Communion, count me in.

Oh, and if you don't like ambient/drone music, ignore the Bass Communion reference. You won't like it.

Also, if you want to track down the very first album that Steven Wilson ever did, look for Altamont's "Prayer For The Soul." It's been deleted, so you can't buy it, but it's free on the internet. It's very similar to early Porcupine Tree. :up:

Listened to much Porcupine Tree, The Church, Pure Reason Revolution and others. :up:

:ohmy:

I knew something was drawing me in here! I must have a radar for any mention of the church. :lol: :D

Enjoyed reading about your PT shows -- sounds like a good time. I seriously thought about going to see PT on this tour, but then the church announced their tour, so my attention got turned elsewhere (and life intruded too :angry: ). Maybe next time around I'll see them. I did pass within a couple of miles of Bogart's on Saturday on my way to crush the revolution (ie, see the church) though! :lol:

Trivia tidbit -- Marty of the church is a big Porcupine Tree fan. :)

That Tampa setlist is fantastic.

Any setlist with Buying New Soul and Normal is fantastic.

Here's my top 25, 'cause I'm bored (I tried to do a top 15 like some of you did in this thread, but there are simply too many great songs that deserve a mention):

1. Normal
2. Piano Lessons
3. Buying New Soul
4. Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here
5. The Sound of Muzak
6. Fadeaway
7. Fear of a Blank Planet
8. Sentimental
9. The Sky Moves Sideways
10. Shesmovedon
11. Way Out of Here
12. Stranger by the Minute
13. I Drive the Hearse
14. Always Never
15. Even Less
16. Synesthesia
17. Sleep of No Dreaming
18. Lightbulb Sun
19. My Ashes
20. Don't Hate Me
21. What Happens Now?
22. The Start of Something Beautiful
23. Collapse the Light Into Earth
24. Trains
25. Anesthetize

Ha , I'm gonna see them live for the first time this summer. Their playing at the Rock Werchter festival.
Not a diehard fan yet, but that can change after one night.

Psst ... new live album out, via download on Burning Shed. It's a fundraiser for Mick Karn's cancer treatment (he was the bassist of Japan, the band Richard Barbieri was in before PT).

Porcupine Tree

Definitely a worthy purchase.

The Anesthetize DVD is amazing. Highly recommended.

Getting really antsy for the NYC show!

Pure Narcotic has been revived. :hyper:
Well actually, it was revived one set before that in Poland last month, but yes ... I am BEYOND THRILLED to see that! Of course, the rest of that setlist is absolutely killer. What I would've given to be there. Now I'm really wondering how awesome New York is gonna be.

Oh my god. So. New York.

We got into the city relatively early, wandered a bit, and saw Colin walk by us! He was occupied so we didn't bother him. I didn't feel right to try to wave him down and I met with some other fans during this time. A little while later, Wes walked by! He stopped to greet us and shake hands, etc. I asked if he remembered me, and then after saying Mickey ears, he knew immediately who I was. I didn't get a picture as he was in a hurry, but he was very nice as per usual and I was grateful for him stopping to say hi! He's great.

We stopped by the Heartland brewery after that, for beer and food of course, and the sheer amount of fans who'd converged from all over the country - even from overseas - was overwhelming to say the least. The place was bursting at the seams. One fan had created some little "pass" looking type things and sold them to other fans. They were a neat little thing and cheap too so I got one.

Next stop: venue!

The line was long. Like, ridiculously fucking long. Oh. God. What the hell was that about? There was a couple of fans behind us and they were talking about how they couldn't believe how many people really showed up, etc. It sometimes makes me laugh how there's these fans out there who just have no idea because they don't really look. Anyway, we got into the venue and the merch stand was a total clusterfuck. Ade wasn't running it. We had Radio City peeps running it. Three of them. And they looked very, very stressed. The cashier I eventually landed in front of ignored me. Even though I was right in front of the register, she refused to serve me because she had people coming up to her side to try to buy things, served one or two, and told us to merge. I was waiting and waiting, and she would not get to me at all. Other fans started to get mad at her even though I didn't know them and kept saying, "She's been waiting a really long time now!" pointing me out. Eventually, the gal I was traveling with got to get merch so she picked up what I wanted for me, and when she was asking my sizes, the cashier assumed I was her daughter and THEN finally started talking to me. I was very annoyed to say the least, but I bought a Recordings shirt, a Radio City exclusive Incident shirt, and an Anesthetize pen!
167887694-f0a999b9a2400069003c548ec223bc65.4c9ef678-scaled.jpg

Oh come on. That is awesome.

Showtime!

They did an acoustic, stripped down miniature setlist which they said they were self-supporting themselves, and hoped we enjoyed the headliner, etc.

Set:
Stranger by The Minute :ohmy:
Small Fish :ohmy::ohmy:
Pure Narcotic :hyper:
Black Dahlia :ohmy:
Futile (wtf acoustic?!?!?!?!?!) :love:

Pure Narcotic had me in tears. I was so thrilled to have gotten to see it. The whole set though, wow. That was really neat. Black Dahlia sounded beautiful live. It was an honour to be there for the first play. I now have a whole new respect for it. Not that I didn't like it before. And just before Futile, Steven mused a little about how they were picking songs for the set but weren't sure, and they wanted, "the most inappropriate for this set up, we think this is it." and started playing Futile on acoustic. Richard went :rockon:, I laughed, and then started to headbang. I think I got weird looks and was probably the only one doing it besides Richard but ... oh well.

They left the stage after that, and the crew worked on dismantling that set to set up the real one. Which was awesome. They were really far back from the edge. The stage was MASSIVE! And while they set everything up, the background to Even Less was playing. When they got it sorted, the band came back and ripped into Even Less. I thought the music was just a teaser but no, they played it. And it gets better. After the number chanting, at which point I thought the song was over, they continued and Steven was suddenly shouting, "FUCK YOU! And your ... book too! You can ... have it baaaaaaack." I crapped myself to say the least.

Open Car wasn't really a shocker, and neither was Lazarus. But boy oh boy, The Sky Moves Sideways ... :whistle:

Steven got out the acoustic guitar again and then talked about the curfew imposed on them by Radio City, so he explained the lack of the entirety of The Incident for the evening but they would play most of it. He said they wanted to play as many oldies as possible. So they proceeded with I Drive The Hearse, and then Bonnie The Cat. My neck was toast by Bonnie The Cat.

They did their usual ten minute intermission and came back with the first five parts of The Incident. I was dismayed at not getting the title track but it was replaced with Dislocated Day (!!!) and wow. The reaction to that was amazing. Many of us kept wondering how they could keep surprising us thus far and thus far and they just kept doing it.

I expected Time Flies, and it appeared. I did not however, expect Anesthetize but they sure did the second section. I have heard it every time I've gone but it is never a bother to me. Always such a pleasure to get that one for me.

I really got thrown for a loop at the end of that set, and then the encore ...

Steven came back out and said, "We only have time for one more song, but it's a fuckin' long one." I looked at my phone's clock, gauged the time left (roughly 13 minutes) and immediately screeeeeamed at the top of my lungs, "ARRIVING SOMEWHERE!!!". Wouldn't you know, the little intro bit started playing. I started to headbang even though my neck hurt so bad from all the other thrashing.

It was epic. Totally epic. I came out of that venue feeling like I was stoned.

I was in awe. Amazing show. So glad that I went. So so very glad. I have a lack of interesting pictures this time, but I do have some of the venue itself and the line and fans and the clock during the intermission. But I have to wait until I get home.

Setlist:
Even Less (full version)
Open Car
Lazarus
Tinto Brass
The Sky Moves Sideways (phase one)
I Drive The Hearse
Bonnie The Cat

Occam's Razor
The Blind House
Great Expectations
Kneel and Disconnect
Drawing The Line
Dislocated Day
Time Flies
The Pills I'm Taking
Up The Downstair
Sleep Together

Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

Wow, the full version of Even Less, one of my all-time favorites. Very nice.

Speaking of which, the reissue of Recordings came out the other week - 'twas nice to finally get that on CD.

tumblr_l9e49gUFKS1qcshr1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_l9jswsWcdZ1qcshr1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_l9j7zaH4Uj1qcshr1o1_500.jpg

Just a few pics at the venue. I didn't take any during the show. Too into it.

Oh, it is quite lovely to have Recordings finally. The shirt's print is awful though.

Amazing setlist for that NYC show. Makes me even more sad that I won't make it to the European shows in following days...

Thought I'd bump this as the new Blackfield album (SW's band with Aviv Geffen), Welcome To My DNA, is out there. Anybody else listened?

Warning: It's unexpectedly emo.

Never liked Blackfield that much, so this new album isn't an exception. Can't wait to hear Steven's Wilson new double album coming in September!

Blackfield II is one of my favourite albums, so I honestly had pretty decent expectations for this album. Think this is the first time I've been let down by an SW release. The melancholy of the previous two Blackfield albums has turned into ... well, I think I described it elsewhere as "Aviv found some poetry from when he was 15 and got SW drunk enough to agree to record it".

There's parts of the Blackfield album I really like. And parts I really dislike about it. I think I likened it to HTDAAB somewhere or another in that it has some really good ones to my ears, yet some of the worst!

I find the more I listen to it, the more I like it. It's a bit too short. And I like the first two better. Moseying up north to see them next month. I mean, come on, Anathema is supporting. :drool:

Finally listened to it, and it wasn't that bad. Certainly not as good as the first two; there are some real stinkers on here. I mean, that song Go To Hell is one of the worst I've heard in a while. But overall, not too bad.

Honestly, even the tracks on Blackfield III (WTMDNA whatever) that I think are decent by no means stand up to the great tracks on the first two albums. There isn't exactly anything to rival Cloudy Now or Epidemic, or Pain or Once.

I still want to know what possessed them firstly to include Go To Hell on the album at all and secondly to whack it so close to the start to sour your impression almost immediately.

Go To Hell is absolutely awful. I still don't like it. I think the only use it has is when I'm angry and even then, it has to come up on it's own. I really like Far Away, Dissolving With The Night and Oxygen though.

Definitely no Pain or Epidemic but they can't all be winners I guess.

Grace For Drowning, Steven Wilson's double album, has leaked.

Download away, fellow fans! It shouldn't be that difficult to find it now.

Back
Top Bottom