Porcupine Tree - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:25 PM
For 55 minutes long (talking Disc 1 here), it seemed to go by real quick. That says something to how well constructed the song cycle is.

Only one listen through so far, so I don't have a major in-depth analysis yet, but a very positive experience overall.

Hearing Time Flies in all its glory was fantastic; it's probably the high point of the album - certainly its centerpiece. It reminds me of Animals-era Floyd, specifically Dogs (the acoustic opening) and Sheep (electric guitar at the end).

I'll elaborate more later.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #92
War Child

Local Time: 12:25 AM
So I've listened to the leak about 20+ times, and I think this is one of PT's best albums. It's very different, and I like that...they didn't repeat Fear Of A Blank Planet.

Anyone else really loving the song "The Incident?" I'm practically obsessed with that song, been having it on repeat since I first heard it. It's awesome.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:22 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

I Drive The Hearse is gorgeous.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:52 AM   #94
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I Drive The Hearse is gorgeous.
My favourite track on the album. It keeps sounding better.

Also really loving Black Dahlia and Remember Me Lover right now. Need to listen to most of the main disc more, really ... I keep just playing I Drive The Hearse and the 4 songs on the second disc.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:11 AM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:25 AM
I listened to it a couple times and it hasn't blown me away yet. I dunno... I'm sure I'll like it more later, it's just that there seem to be very few songs that have a real punch to them. The album doesn't seem to have many ups and downs. Still, it definitely sounds good, and I'll probably love it later, cause I love almost all their stuff, but we'll see.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:56 AM   #96
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:25 PM
Could Time Flies rip off Animals any more? I'm starting to think that PT could play Dogs live and most people wouldn't even notice the difference anyway.

... you know, I'd fucking love PT to cover Dogs.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #97
ONE
love, blood, life

I really want my copy to get here, like, tomorrow. Wishful thinking.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:08 AM   #98
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:25 PM
probably my second favourite album of the year and by far my favourite Porcupine Tree album. absolutely stunning. It's a very diverse album with a good mix of badass heavy stuff and heartbreakingly gorgeous parts. And it's catchy! Like Drawing the Line...not what I would expect from Porcupine Tree. when it hit the chorus my friend immediately said "Wow, this is very U2." Time Flies is probably my favourite. The transition from The Seance into Circle of Manias is AWESOME. I Drive the Hearse is completely gorgeous... gives me chills. I need to listen to the second disc more (I keep going back to the highlights of the first disc), but Flicker is excellent and there's a really awesome riff toward the end. Kind of Rage-ish. UNGH!!

I wish I could see them live. Alas, the only shows near me are during the week, and I just can't afford to with school. maybe they'll tour the US more later??
Old 09-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

Picked up my copy yesterday, but didn't get a chance to listen yet. Looking forward to hearing this in all its glory; the leak sucked.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Damn, this sounds great on CD. Major difference from what I previously heard.

Now that I've had time to sink this in, I'd say it's one of the best albums this year. I wasn't sure right away if I'd come to that conclusion, but it's quite the remarkable record.

The songs on Disc 2 are great, and as much as I enjoy them, I wish they weren't part of this. The main album was sufficient, and because I worry that at some point there will be a downturn in the music, I would have preferred that these four songs were saved for whatever comes next, as a strong base to start from. That's a pretty good starting point I'd say.

Loving Drawing The Line, Time Flies, and the last four songs. And the music on the title track almost sounds like it came from Pure Reason Revolution's latest effort.

Still going strong after more than 20 years...
Old 09-17-2009, 12:45 AM   #101
ONE
love, blood, life

The Incident is so much more than I imagined. I knew I was in for a real treat but this far exceeded my expectations. So far my favourites are The Blind House, Drawing The Line, I Drive The Hearse and Remember Me Lover.

I can't wait to see how it sounds on the stage.
Four more days. I'm anxious!
Old 09-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #102
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:25 AM
After a couple of listens, I like The Blind House, Great Expectations, Time Flies, Octane Twisted and The Seance. Man... Time Flies starts out like Dogs and ends like Sheep. lol. To make it worse, the chorus: "And after a while you realize..." reminds me of "and after a while, you can work on points for style". Nah, I think it's a good song on it's own despite the clear Floyd inspiration evident all over the place. Anyway, I think there is a strong chance of the rest of the tracks growing on me. But still I'd be really surprised if this album ultimately topped either Deadwing or Blank Planet for me.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #103
Blue Crack Supplier

The rest of the tracks are growing on me as expected. I Drive The Hearse is finally doing something for me. Drawing The Line is good but I'm not a huge fan of that chorus. Remember Me Lover is awesome. The title track has also grown on me.

Btw, I think Occam's Razor is completely dispensable and the album should've started with Blind House. Am I the only one who feels this way? Not a fan of that intro at all. Degree Zero Of Liberty also adds nothing of any value.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #104
Blue Crack Supplier

And just for fun, here's a Top 15 I just threw together:

1. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
2. Even Less
3. Anesthetize
4. Stars Die
5. Lazarus
6. Fear Of A Blank Planet
7. Piano Lessons
8. Trains
9. Moon Touches Your Shoulder
10. Radioactive Toy
11. Blackest Eyes
12. The Start Of Something Beautiful
13. Way Out Of Here
14. Pure Narcotic
15. The Blind House/Time Flies

I know I'm heavier on the post 1999 material. Still trying to get into most of the tracks on Stars Die. But you cannot deny that the list above is filled to the brim with awesomeness.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
The rest of the tracks are growing on me as expected. I Drive The Hearse is finally doing something for me. Drawing The Line is good but I'm not a huge fan of that chorus. Remember Me Lover is awesome. The title track has also grown on me.

Btw, I think Occam's Razor is completely dispensable and the album should've started with Blind House. Am I the only one who feels this way? Not a fan of that intro at all. Degree Zero Of Liberty also adds nothing of any value.
I don't mind the intro; I like how it comes thundering in there. It's short enough anyway.

Tags
porcupine tree