Porcupine Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm in a spot where I want something new to listen to but can't decide on anything, so Porcupine Tree catalog, here we come!

I'm familiar with them and have listened to them before but not the deep dive I'm about to go into.

:up:

Enjoy. It's quite the ride.

I actually haven't gone back through their discography in quite a while. I should remedy that.

I enjoyed Lightbulb Sun quite a bit. I appreciate the challenging listen. That’s what got me into Biffy Clyro. These guys are provably much more progressive but they definitely have beautiful rhythms too.

The pair of Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are probably their most straight ahead rock albums, if you will. You think that's progressive, listen to the early stuff. Some of that is way out there.

For the longest time I probably considered those two albums my favorite era (and I still love Stupid Dream in particular), but the trio of In Absentia, Deadwing, and Fear Of A Blank Planet, with the obvious progressive metal influences, have surpassed those now. What a run that was.

The pair of Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are probably their most straight ahead rock albums, if you will. You think that's progressive, listen to the early stuff. Some of that is way out there.

For the longest time I probably considered those two albums my favorite era (and I still love Stupid Dream in particular), but the trio of In Absentia, Deadwing, and Fear Of A Blank Planet, with the obvious progressive metal influences, have surpassed those now. What a run that was.

That’s great. I’m going for that trio next as the progressive metal influences are what I’m most eager to hear!

This new Steven Wilson record, The Harmony Codex, is his most interesting solo album since Insurgentes IMO.

Much better than the prog wank trilogy or attempts at pastiche 80s pop he was doing in the last twelve years. There is a lot of focus on mood and atmosphere here, and for once it seems to me like he was actually melding a lot of influences to create something that is truly uniquely his (what he managed to do with PT and consistently failed to do in his solo career in my mind).

Part of me feels he should have saved some of this material to work on it with Richard Barbieri, but oh well. Based on this record, I just might go to a SW solo gig for the first time. The PT gigs in 2022 and 2023 were bloody amazing.

Last edited:
This new Steven Wilson record, The Harmony Codex, is his most interesting solo album since Insurgentes IMO.

Much better than the prog wank trilogy or attempts at pastiche 80s pop he was doing in the last twelve years. There is a lot of focus on mood and atmosphere here, and for once it seems to me like he was actually melding a lot of influences to create something that is truly uniquely his (what he managed to do with PT and consistently failed to do in his solo career in my mind).

Part of me feels he should have saved some of this material to work on it with Richard Barbieri, but oh well. Based on this record, I just might go to a SW solo gig for the first time. The PT gigs in 2022 and 2023 were bloody amazing.
I did not know about this. Fuck yeah I'm give this a spin.

Back
Top Bottom