Porcupine Tree - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #271
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:29 PM
The title song of this new SW record is absolutely beautiful. The rest of it is mostly a boring, derivative, overlong mess that relies on excessive instrumentation instead of concise songwriting.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #272
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:29 AM
I haven't even bothered to listen yet, suspicious of the very things you just listed.

We need a new PT album badly.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #273
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:29 AM
New SW is at least an improvement on Grace For Drowning.

I'm starting to wonder if we're ever going to see more PT. Suspiciously quiet on that front for bloody ages.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #274
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

It doesn't look good. Just from the interviews, it seems that SW isn't that interested in the band anymore. I really hope I'm wrong and a 2014 release happens.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #275
Vocal parasite

I'm quietly hoping he's keeping all his more straightforward songs - be they more pop/rock like SD/LS era or metal - for a new PT album. However... I'm not optimistic. He seems to be very much into indulgent, wanky prog at the moment, and he doesn't seem to be participating in the many and varied projects that he used to. His focus has been quite single-minded on the solo album. Oh well. I suppose if his golden touch has to fade, I'd rather it fade through albums that don't tarnish PT's awesome discography.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #276
The Male

Local Time: 06:29 AM
Not gonna lie, I dig this album. Not as much as Grace for Drowning, which had the phenomenal Deform to Form a Star, but it's a fantastic pastiche of cheesy first wave progressive rock.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #277
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I don't get the appeal for Deform to Form a Star. A decent enough song, but as good as anything he did of that kind of songwriting in Porcupine Tree? Nah.

The Raven That Refused to Sing is probably his best solo song in my book. A gem in a pile of shit. The one where he didn't let his band members to do a contest between themselves of playing 10,000 notes in 10 seconds. Although there's even an eye-roll moment in there when Theo Travis' flute comes in with the usual wank but then it suddenly stops and never comes back again. Favourite moment of the album right there.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #278
Vocal parasite

If you ask me, his best solo song - by far - remains "Harmony Korine".

In other news, the new Blackfield song is actually better than I expected after how much of a letdown Blackfield III was:

Blackfield - Pills (new song) - YouTube

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #279
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:29 AM
I have tried several times to get into his solo work, and apart from Insurgentes, I just haven't been able to get into them. I haven't heard anything from the most recent album, so I'll have to properly sit down and give it a listen.. but yea, I'm missing some new PT material as well. I really want to see these guys live next time around. I'm still kicking myself for missing Gavin Harrison giving a free clinic last fall. Hopefully at the very least, he'll come back round.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #280
Refugee

Looks like Steven Wilson is playing some Porcupine Tree during his solo tour. Def. one for now.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steven...-1bdb0174.html
Old 03-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #281
Vocal parasite

Huh, that's interesting, especially since the first show of the tour had an encore of two solo songs.

Looking through SW's stats on last.fm, I see the only other time he's done PT songs on his tours for the recent solo albums is when he did Trains and either Lazarus or Even Less as a second encore in South American countries, and I'm guessing that's because PT's never toured there. I'm kind of surprised he's never incorporated more of the really early songs from when PT was a solo project into his solo setlists. Some tracks from On the Sunday of Life and Up the Downstair would work quite well. I'd be more interested in seeing his solo show if it came to Australia if songs like Radioactive Toy and Burning Sky are in the set.

(I'd go to every show if Fadeaway were in the set but I believe he can't sing it any more. Last time they did it live, on the In Absentia tour, Wes sang most of it.)

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #282
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:29 AM
I realize it's highly unlikely, but I would love to hear And The Swallows Dance Above The Sun live at some point, I just adore that track.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #283
Refugee

On Thursday night, I saw the last Blackfield concert with Steven Wilson as he is officially leaving the band. It was a pretty great show, especially once I moved away from the drunk assholes in the crowd.

Most of the material played was from the first two albums so that was good. Plus, the pianist of Dream Theater joined them for Cloudy Now, which was the last song. Awesome show (with the exemption of Go To Hell)
Old 12-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #284
Refugee

Here comes solo album number 4 from Steven Wilson.

Hand. Cannot. Erase. now available to pre-order – StevenWilsonHQ.com

I watched the two videos on the making-of for the album. Sounds like he intends to move away from the jazz elements of the last two records, thankfully. Hopefully it'll be an improvement over the last two releases and closer to Insurgentes. He says in the first video that it'll include more variety from his various interests in terms of instrumentation and style.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #285
The Male

Local Time: 06:29 AM
Someone make a Steven Wilson thread already. I'm sick of thinking PT got back together.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
porcupine tree